Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D130 vs LE14 in Apollos

So your saying Dot 3 is the correct and best way to fix them? Why do you have to take measurements after and if you get the wrong measurements how do you correct it? By using Rick Cobbs' replacement surrounds will they not sound as good as using the Dot3 and staying with the LansAloy?

The brake fluid will make the stiff Lans-a-loy surround more supple. If you use too much the Fs will become lower than it should be, if you use too little the Fs will be too high.

If the magnet and the spider are still in spec, a new and correct foam surround should bring the driver back to spec.

Widget

- 2string bought his speakers for a mere $ 300.00 ( if I read his past posts, correctly ) .

- If the intent is to flip them ( after restoring them ? ) / then it doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of $$$ on rehabbing these woofers .

- Putting new foams ( possibly on the wrong side ) won't enhance their resale value on eBay .

- Mind you, parting out those le85s/HL91s can bring $500 to $ 800.00 , dependant on their condition .

- OTOH, if 2string is curious about how the le14s sound ( when close to spec. ) / I feel the DOT-3 method is a "cheap & cheerfull" route to achieving a reasonable audition .

- If the surrounds aren't cracking / then even excess applications of Brake Fluid ( IME ) won't take the Fs lower than 20 Hz .

- I'm concerned somewhat with the spiders being "bagged" . As far as I see it, the spiders should also be replaced ( along with the surrounds ) for longer term peace of mind .

<> cheers

ps : looking good

- What are you going to do regarding grills ( since you have only one original ) ?

I don't plan on reselling at this time. I want to enjoy them. I purchased another original grille and also made 2 grilles for a different look. I can't decide whether I like the homemade grille with the cut out for the louvers or the full grille? Because my surrounds are glued on the front of the cone will it be more of a problem getting them off without damaging the cones,will these surrounds glue on the same way to the front? http://cgi.ebay.ca/BEST-Speaker-Foam...item27aed625a3 Where can I get the spiders?

Just because something works doesn't make it right or a good idea.

Putting automotive brake fluid on speakers is bull shit.

Plain and simple.

Thomas

Thread Information