Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D130 vs LE14 in Apollos

D130 vs LE14 in Apollos

Can someone give me a comparison between the D130 and the LE14? I have the Apollo C51's loaded with the LE85 horn and the LE14's. LX7 crossovers. Will the D130 drop right in with no cutting involved and will the mounting holes line up? I don't want to put any extra holes in the baffle board. Any benefits to having one or the other?

They won't fit without cutting a larger hole. Double check though, sometimes the smaller speaker is mounted on an adapter plate.
    The 130 would play louder with the same power, and give a lot less low bass.
    Edit, from looking at the pictures in your other thread, your LE14 woofers need to be refoamed. I'd get that done before making any other changes, you would probably love the sound if the original woofers were working correctly.

Can you tell me where you think they need refoaming. I don't see anything wrong with them, I don't think they have foam"but what do I know"

Quote Originally Posted by 2string View Post
    Can you tell me where you think they need refoaming. I don't see anything wrong with them, I don't think they have foam"but what do I know"
    They are the original "LansAloy" and no way they'll have retained the original compliance they were designed to have.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

...the cream-colored or yellowish bumped-out area between the cone edge and
    the frame.

OK now what do I do? Show me what it should look like.

It's not really about what it should look like. When your speakers were new, the woofer surround, that yellowish ring, was nice and soft and flexible. So the speaker cone could move back and forth freely. Now it's as hard as a rock and the speaker cone can barely move. A professional in your area should be able to replace that part with modern gray foam. After that is done, the difference in sound quality should be obvious, it should be well worth the money. Much better than swapping to a D130, which is really a full range speaker rather than a woofer.

Holy cow, I play bass and know how the speaker moves in and out and when I purchased these speakers I had never seen surrounds like these before (LansAloy) I thought they were suppose to be stiff. Was that LansAloy soft like foam when it was new? Is it hard to find foam for the LE14?

Easy as PIE

Foams are really easy to find. We like our local guy, Rick Cobb. He has an ebay store here :
    http://shop.ebay.ca/looneytune2001/m...&_trksid=p3686
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Thanks guys I would have never known. My local speaker repair guy said he'd do it for $30 a speaker. Sounds like a good price to me. How much of a difference will it make in the sound?

Those threads are fairly old, any updates on the brake fluid usage. Is there anything better. Opinions please on the sound quality between the LansAloy and foam. I don't understand what Fs and Zmax means. All I care about is sound quality.

Holy cow, I play bass and know how the speaker moves in and out...
    I don't understand what Fs and Zmax means.
    They have to do with how easily the cone moves in and out and how far.

The DOT3 treatment will work, but since you don't know what Fs is, you certainly can't measure it... without measuring it, you'll quite possibly not get the woofer performing correctly so get them refoamed.

From your other thread about correct foam, I don't know the answer, but you might PM, oldmics, edgewound, GordonW, or one of the others who fix these things for a living. As far as whether or not to replace the spider? The LE14A does have a heavy cone so the spider will likely have sagging issues even if the speakers were just sitting around all these years...

Typically the correct answer is to have your reconer replace the whole cone assembly with a JBL kit, but for the LE14A these have been alternately unavailable or horrifically expensive so that's a tough one. I think I'd send the woofers to someone who has experience with these specific drivers. They could probably evaluate the condition of the whole system and make the best recommendation. On the other hand, it sounds like your local guy is honest.. he didn't tell you that he could get JBL original foam... no one really can, they don't exist as a single part.

As for the D130/LE14A question? I would go with the LE14A, it will be much more Hi-Fi... if you do go with a D130, the character will change dramatically, it will be more of a punchy floor monitor with good tone.

Widget

- Like JoMoCo said ; " Dude... "

- Shaansloan(s)' thread on applying DOT 3 to his le14a(s) surrounds is an easy first step ( maybe even, final ) to take when refurbing ones le14a(s) . .

- The price of entry is a Q-tip & some DOT-3 brake-fluid .

- Rick Cobbs' replacement surrounds might be the better (semi-)permanent solution / unfortunately / going that route opens up another can of worms ( as to which side of the cone should the new foam surrounds be attached to,,, front or back ? ) .

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - The price of entry is a Q-tip & some DOT-3 brake-fluid .
    I suppose it all depends on the goal.

If you want better, or if you want correct. Personally I usually seek correct, and with the DOT-3 and measurements you can get really close. Alternatively, you can slop some on there and it will certainly sound better. Care should be taken not to contaminate the cones though.

Widget

Thread Information