Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From the bad, comes the good!

Regis

From the bad, comes the good!

Regarding the big Sansui G-9000 reciever. I wrote a poignant letter to the seller and she's going to repay all the funds, including shipping if the Postal Insurance doesn't come through. That's one good thing. The next good thing was pretty cool. Found an absolutely mint Sansui G-9000DB in San Diego (non-Ebay, thank you). Apparently owned by a former CIA agent, this thing doesn't have a single scratch or even a dented corner. The rosewood finish still shines! This is for my little brother who absolutely loved the original Sansui I owned (and I wish I never sold.... the two piece 93 pound, G-22000 that pumped out 220 wpc) and he's in love with my G-9k. Got it for $350! No shipping, no BS. In California-ese, we'd say he's totally stoked! Check it out below...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Regis

Pic 2 of rear

Note corners, not a single dented corner and the shiny finish! Not bad for a 25 year old piece of audio equipment. This will go really well with his L-150's.

Figge
    thats a mighty fine reciever u got there!!!

i can see how it shines on pic 2...

Cool

Wow! If you like receivers, that's a BIG one!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Regis
    Apparently owned by a former CIA agent, this thing doesn't have a single scratch or even a dented corner.
    It's probably bugged though...

Figge

my first thoght too!

Are you sure that really is a reciever??? It can't brainwash you can it?? Subliminal messages added to Beetles songs

Rob

Regis

No CIA brainwashing here!

Ah yes, the last of the macho male-ego recievers of the late 70's. The wife sure didn't pick them out, that's for sure! I lusted after all kinds of audio back then, including SAE (just couldn't afford it on a Marine's PFC pay!). But I did dig up the $1K back in 1978 for the Sansui G-22000 somehow. And that was with the deep discount for the military at the Naval Base in Yokusaka Japan. Got the L-65a's brand new for $630 the pair.

They call it the "Silver Era" and Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui and others put out some serious butt-kicking iron back then. You just don't find beveled glass, brushed aluminum and machined knobs on anything at the "Big Box" stores any more. Joe Average Consumer wants some anonymous looking black plastic hat box with all the personality of a microwave. I'll stick with the old-school stuff thank you!

A representative pic of my old G-22k... Sob, I miss you man!

Figge

Re: No CIA brainwashing here!

Originally posted by Regis
    I'll stick with the old-school stuff thank you!

im with u on that one!!!

had a pioneer sx-1010 some years ago! only 125W in 8 ohms but shure was a thing u didnt wanna move!

also had a big nikko reciever dont remember the model but some like 1011 or 1113 big as hell! the above mentioned pioneer was half the sise! well stupid as i am i sold em! so i learned some lessons by now = i will never sell my 4430:s.

btw: while talking recievers! im curious has any one heard the SX-1980 or marantz 2500? now those are BIG-ASS recievers! unfortunatley there where problably 1 each sold in sweden.
    Last edited by Figge; 07-09-2004 at 11:04 AM.

Regis

The Nikko's were top notch

The quality of the Nikko's were excellent and they're pretty popular on the Vintage Asylum. The Pioneer SX series were also really nice, culminating with the SX-1980 that put out 270 wpc! All of the big monsters go for $1k minimum on Ebay these days as they are so rare. While the recievers don't have the same panache as the separates, such as SAE, Crown, Phase Linear etc, for guys like us who wanted all the stuff in one place, they were beautifully built, with great looks and sound.

Interesting Vintage Asylum link for you, Figge, list of 100+ wpc recievers 1974-1981

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...00&r=&session=

Technics on Ebay with 330 wpc. Weighs 85 lbs
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...708145430&rd=1

Figge
    nikko 1415 was there!!! no im unsertain of my model i had...i did take a photo of it before the lucky guy drove over to get it from me...i will look for it, have it lying arond here somewhere. 1415 sounds very familiar....must have been. cant believe the difrences between buildquality/sound in these old recievers compared with the mass produced shit after the early 80:s...

Regis

The Nikko's were top notch

The quality of the Nikko's were excellent and they're pretty popular on the Vintage Asylum. The Pioneer SX series were also really nice, culminating with the SX-1980 that put out 270 wpc! All of the big monsters go for $1k minimum on Ebay these days as they are so rare. While the recievers don't have the same panache as the separates, such as SAE, Crown, Phase Linear etc, for guys like us who wanted all the stuff in one place, they were beautifully built, with great looks and sound.

Interesting Vintage Asylum link for you, Figge, list of 100+ wpc recievers 1974-1981

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...00&r=&session=

Technics on Ebay with 330 wpc. Weighs 85 lbs
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...708145430&rd=1

Figge
    my dad had a sansui au-20000 couple a years ago. i LOVED that amp. it was a real beuty! sounded like a dream on his 4315:s. probably the best ever made by sansui.!unmovable piece of art!..guess what he did?

mhmm ur right he sold it! stupid #%&¤##

Man, speaking of "mind control"... subliminal messages and the like- did anyone else catch the "smily face" hidden in the first photo Could be the tool of the CIA, to keep the masses docile and happy, ya know!

Regis

That is hilarious!

It did catch my eye, but I wasn't making the connection! Too funny Gordon!

Thread Information