Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Altec Lansing A7

Smile Altec Lansing A7

Hi,

Can anybody tell me about the vintage Altec Lansing A7 VOTT? Lansing was involved in producing this model? And how does it compare with the JBL horn speakers? Do they really reproduce "theater sound"? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Hi,

Can anybody tell me about the vintage Altec Lansing A7 VOTT? Lansing was involved in producing this model? And how does it compare with the JBL horn speakers? Do they really reproduce "theater sound"? Thanks.
    Look up in the Black menubar on the site and click LIBRARY (3rd choice on the left)
    There is a HUGE amount of background information listed there - about the life of James B Lansing, about his time with both companies, about his young death and the company's history after his personal history ended.

Its really recommended to read the prepared texts to learn about him ...

You could learn a lot if you start right here -
    http://www.audioheritage.org/html/history/history.htm

You can also use the SEARCH function on the site to look up ALTEC A7
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Look up in the Black menubar on the site and click LIBRARY (3rd choice on the left)
    There is a HUGE amount of background information listed there - about the life of James B Lansing, about his time with both companies, about his young death and the company's history after his personal history ended.

Its really recommended to read the prepared texts to learn about him ...

You could learn a lot if you start right here -
    http://www.audioheritage.org/html/history/history.htm

You can also use the SEARCH function on the site to look up ALTEC A7
    Thanks for the tip. What I want to know is your actual experience with this speaker. Have you ever listened to this? Can you feel something like "theater sound" as it's advertised?

Thanks for the tip. What I want to know is your actual experience with this speaker. Have you ever listened to this? Can you feel something like "theater sound" as it's advertised?
    I own JBLs, big and small, so I can't help - tho I probably heard them in theatres when I was young, I can't say for sure.

Again, I'd recommend you do a search for Altec A7 to read posts by other talking about that speaker ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Aletc A7

Check out this site for all Altec and A7 information.
    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/altec-users-board/

Tell them Marvin sent you, HA...

How old are you? If you are over 40 and ever went to a smallish theater as a kid, I bet you have already heard the A7.

They don't sound like a theater speaker, they are theater speakers. That said, they in no way could be used today in a modern theater. Today's talkies are nothing like those of the 30's, 40's 50's and 60's when Altec ruled the world of cinema sound.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    they in no way could be used today in a modern theater. Today's talkies are nothing like those of the 30's, 40's 50's and 60's when Altec ruled the world of cinema sound.

Widget
    Well, I'm not 100% sure they couldn't be used in any way.

The Altec woofers of that era really can't cope with the amount of really LF information present in todays movie soundtracks, but using a high pass filter, something that is simple to do and present in all of todays sophisticated DSP system processors, that wouldn't be a problem. Set up in a properly tuned theater system, I still think dialog sounds quite good with these types of speakers.

It's a given you still need a proper, and capable subwoofer.

Or the LF drivers can be updated to something far more robust, and still good sounding that is capable of working well. Those cabinets still work, IMO.

I find it interesting you remark that these speakers in no way could be used in todays theaters, and yet, when I go to the movies, most theaters sound is nothing to write home about, sonically, IMHO! There are a few theaters with stellar, super spectacular sound, but, when I go to Cineplex, Multiplex, Whateverplex, as these are our mainstay theaters, the sound is only average, at best. Many a time, I think to myself during a film, the dialog, and hi frequency does have a tinny, and thin sound. Then I forget about it, and watch the movie.

In a home theater setting, unless the room is really large, I think you may do better with other designs, but only because i wouldn't want to be very close to these speakers, I have always found these types of horns sound proper when hearing them from the proper distance. Not nearfield.

It would be more than interesting to hear a theater system using these types of cabinets, modern drivers, electronics, and amplification, properly set up.

The " average " movie theater is not that remarkable, sonically. And most of the movie going nation sees movies in average movie theaters.
    scottyj

A7's

These speakers (A7's) were really designed for vocal reproduction. To properly listen to HiFi music the 825/828 boxes need to have the port size reduced.

I have just restored a pair of 825 500's and it was recommended a much smaller port size was needed to increase the bass response.

The original port size is 217 sq. in. This was reduced to 84.5 sq. in. This recommendation was made by the good folks at Great Planes Audio who are the folks that sell and restore Altec drivers.

My A7's sound great, but as was mentioned, ample room is needed to really get them up to their full potential. Check out my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I find it interesting you remark that these speakers in no way could be used in todays theaters, and yet, when I go to the movies, most theaters sound is nothing to write home about, sonically, IMHO! There are a few theaters with stellar, super spectacular sound, but, when I go to Cineplex, Multiplex, Whateverplex, as these are our mainstay theaters, the sound is only average, at best. Many a time, I think to myself during a film, the dialog, and hi frequency does have a tinny, and thin sound. Then I forget about it, and watch the movie.
    Interesting point... I am not sure how low the bottom of the barrel in theaters is... if I am not pleased with the projection and sound I never go back to a theater... they all cost about the same, so why not go to the best?

I may have over stated my point, but basically I was saying that while a few decades ago these were the industry standard, today they most certainly are not.

Does that mean that people can't enjoy them in a home? No, apparently many people do. Would I recommend them to someone for home use? Probably not.

Widget

Marvin, did reducing the port size eliminate the "HAYSTACK" shaped response peak around the 1K region?

In the proper size room, properly set up, I would imagine your A7,s sound quite nice.

Also, do you use a subwoofer, as I will always say, with these speakers, regardless of the woofer, port size, you still need a sub. But, IMO, a great sub, and A7,s can still hang tight, today.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Interesting point... I am not sure how low the bottom of the barrel in theaters is... if I am not pleased with the projection and sound I never go back to a theater... they all cost about the same, so why not go to the best?

I may have over stated my point, but basically I was saying that while a few decades ago these were the industry standard, today they most certainly are not.

Does that mean that people can't enjoy them in a home? No, apparently many people do. Would I recommend them to someone for home use? Probably not.

Widget
    This I agree with, totally. In their original incarnation, the Altec A7 cannot stand with todays best. BUT, as the center channel, or full range fills, yes they can.

Update the LF drivers, and/or possibly the HF drivers, (even though I actually like yesterdays HF drivers with todays music, and todays woofers with todays music), and I think with good electronics, and proper amplification, and deft hand at setting it up, one can make a KICK ASS sounding system.

About theaters not being up to snuff, and only seeing movies in theaters up to, and beyond the mark, it isn't always possible to do! When I went to see Avatar, sure, I would love to have seen that movie at Skywalker, but, flying to Ca, dinner, movie tix, and flying back to wherever I came from, man, you know how much that evening would cost?

What if The Zeigfield, or Radio City in NYC is not showing what I want to see? Of course, there actually are 2 theaters within the 30 minute driving range to me, THAT I DON'T GO TO. Dim and grungy projection, cheap sound, older, and worn seating!

But, hey, I'm still going to go see The Wolfman, even if I can't see it where you see it. :dont-know
    scottyj

Sorry, but I don't have the equipment to measure response curves. So, I can't comment on that. I do know the bass is much better now than with the original theater port size. I also have a 902T mated with the 511B horn, so HF is better. Still, you really need to put a little distance between you and the A7's and turn them up for them to sound properly.

Now, are there better home HiFi speakers. The short answer is of course yes. But, the A7's IMO are in a class by themselves. I feel they reproduce instrumentals better than vocals. At least after the port size is reduced. These are not the only speakers I have, but I love to listen to them when I'm in the mood. To my ears they have a very realistic sound. That may not be the same for you. Some people also say the sound can be improved with different drivers. I really don't need to experiment. I am satisfied with what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Sorry, but I don't have the equipment to measure response curves. So, I can't comment on that. I do know the bass is much better now than with the original theater port size. I also have a 902T mated with the 511B horn, so HF is better. Still, you really need to put a little distance between you and the A7's and turn them up for them to sound properly.

Now, are there better home HiFi speakers. The short answer is of course yes. But, the A7's IMO are in a class by themselves. I feel they reproduce instrumentals better than vocals. At least after the port size is reduced. These are not the only speakers I have, but I love to listen to them when I'm in the mood. To my ears they have a very realistic sound. That may not be the same for you. Some people also say the sound can be improved with different drivers. I really don't need to experiment. I am satisfied with what I have.
    I actually agree with you. The fact of the matter is I still use Altec 815,s and 816,s and 817,s. I now have TAD 1603 LF drivers in mine. However, what the horn flare does, I do not want to be without. And, yes, some distance between the listener and speakers are necessary. But, when your listening from the proper distance, the projectivity of vocals and instruments is quite realistic sounding to me as well. And the music has a dynamic quality for me as well, transients can be shockingly lifelike.
    scottyj

I built a set of a7-800's and have owned a set of factory a7-500's... First of all, if you have a big room, you can't beat them for movies. The dialog is so realistic. Even with music, the vocals are very clean and real. That said, I believe that you would want to couple them with a good subwoofer as the low end seems to roll off around 40hz. Also, if you are going to use these for music, the high end rolls off quickly above 10Khz so a good horn tweeter would help that or serious equalization. I preferred the 800hz horn over the 500. Seemed like the 500 could be harsh... Don't expect modern day type of sound out of them but you can expect realistic sound. That is what they were made for... I think today we place to much emphasis on anechoic chamber specs and not on actual sound quality.. Just my feelings..

Quote Originally Posted by tjrad View Post
    I preferred the 800hz horn over the 500. Seemed like the 500 could be harsh... Don't expect modern day type of sound out of them but you can expect realistic sound. That is what they were made for... I think today we place to much emphasis on anechoic chamber specs and not on actual sound quality.
    I prefer the 511B horn crossed over at 800Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by tjrad View Post
    I preferred the 800hz horn over the 500. Seemed like the 500 could be harsh... Don't expect modern day type of sound out of them but you can expect realistic sound. That is what they were made for... I think today we place to much emphasis on anechoic chamber specs and not on actual sound quality.
    I certainly agree that there are those who consider response measurements as overly important and that they do not begin to tell the whole story, but ignoring measurements is equally wrong for manufacturers and system designers.

Ultimately how a system sounds to a particular listener in a real space is the ultimate measure, but that won't guarantee that another listener will agree. As Dr. Floyd Toole has written about on several occasions, the greatest number of listeners do prefer an accurate and neutral measuring speaker if all other parameters are equal.

Widget

Thread Information