Thread: LE14H-3 Recone Kit

LE14H-3 Recone Kit

Does anyone here have experience reconing a LE14H-3 driver, or can advise about the availability of recone kits?

Any forum members can advise about a good place to buy the kit or have the reconing done around Detroit? General re-foaming, for that matter, too (L7's will need it sooner or later).

I am very close to diving into long term ownership of several of them, and am thinking it may be a good idea to secure a kit or two so I have it.

You guys are infecting me with spare parts paranoia.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

There are not any. It's a replace the driver only option and the drivers are NLA. At least for now. I have a pair myself, wish that was an option.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

On the L Series, it's also a replace-the-driver-only situation on the 704G, 706G, and 708G. No refoams, no recones, maybe a few NIB drivers, and lots of used. The LE120H-1 can be refoamed; I'm not sure if recone kits are still available.

New 035TiA dias are still around.
    Out.

One shop got back to me and said that the recone kit is C8RLE14H-3, and it is shown as available from JBL. Are they wrong?

I think this is no longer a concern for me, but it may be useful information for others... I have one LE14H-3 that I think is in need of a re-cone. I doubt it will be worth the cost to me. I may just use that giant magnet as a bolt catcher in the shop.

Also on the L7's, the foam I was referring to was on the LE120's. I have spares for the top end drivers .
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Slare View Post
    One shop got back to me and said that the recone kit is C8RLE14H-3, and it is shown as available from JBL. Are they wrong?

Also on the L7's, the foam I was referring to was on the LE120's. I have spares for the top end drivers .
    They're not wrong if they can get it for you. When I needed a new diaphragm for an 095Ti, they supposedly didn't exist anymore, but a shop in FL found one somewhere in Harman and got it for me at the regular list price. Wow! thank you very much.
    Out.

There are plenty of parts available in the aftermarket for that (and most other JBL) driver(s). A typical kit will contain the exact same Hawley or RDM cone, spider and dustcap and a custom edgewound coil. 95% as good as original, which falls well within the 10% production tolerance. Unfortunately they don't come preassembled like the originals, so it's not a diy proposition.
    As far as I'm concerned, there is virtually no such thing as an irrepairable JBL woofer. Heck, there are even aftermarket 033 and 044 diaphrams out now. I haven't used any of them, but I bet they sound a whole lot better than a tweeter that doesn't work.

Hello,
    It is indeed C8RLE14H-3. They are in stock. You should be able to purchase them strait from JBL (800) 336-4525.

Note, I just recently placed an order for C8RLE14-3 kits. JBL took the order with a 2-month lead time. A week later, they cancelled the order and took the kits off of the available list. So the LE14H-3 kits should be considered, officially, no longer available from JBL. LE14H-4 kits still show as available though (but sometimes you don't know until you order).

Thread Information