Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radian diaphragm for 2445

Radian diaphragm for 2445

Hello!

Any experience on using Radian Alu diaphragm on a 2445 or the like?
    Can this "mellow" the tone somewhat?

Thanks!

I have been scouring through these forums, and found some info on this topic already.
    Still, being a newbie to horns; I'd be very interested in any views on the 2445J as mid drivers - different diaphragm options (JBL and others, 8- or 16 Ohms etc.).
    I know this might sound very naive and perhaps laughable, but, my only reference as far as mid drivers go, is listening to a VOTT system, using 288-8C in round Tractricx - I thought that was great, but restricted funds had me looking for "budget" alternatives to the 288, and the 2445(J) popped up at a reasonable price, and I grabbed them, since I've always been a fan of JBL, having owned several of their speakers in the past: 4350, L300, L100

The system I'm now trying to put together is an 825/A7 with 416-8C and then the 2445 + tweeter (perhaps T35).

I realize that the getting a 2445 to sound like a 288 is not going to happen, and that is not my goal either, but if I can get a smooth sound out of it (i.e. not hard/harsh/tizzy/cold or whatever), I'd be chuffed.
    I'd be prepared to do whatever with the 2445 if it yields a smooth sounding performance, so any tips on diaphragms, horns, phase plugs, xovers or mods are greatly appreciated!
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Better yet, just save your money for some Be diaphragms that will be available in a few months. A pair of these diaphragms will cost about the same as just one complete 2452H-SL (the non-eBay version sold new by JBL Professional).
    That sounds interesting - do you know who might be producing these please?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by music2me2 View Post
    That sounds interesting - do you know who might be producing these please?
    The information is available on the Internet:

Truextent brand SSX beryllium compression driver diaphragm datasheet

$790 each for one or two
    $745 each for three or more

And there will probably be promotions in the next thirty to sixty days. So get them cheaper at that point.

These Truextents are very pricey though, if on a strict budget like myself.
    The 2445 seems to me to be a very nice driver with huge potential - has anybody successfully experimented with them in terms of frams, or otherwise?

Beryllium diaphragms are now (finally) available for the 2445H/J and a long list of 4" voice coil JBL compression drivers. I saw them at the NAMM show last week in Anaheim. Google on keywords "Truextent SSX".

These are made by Brush Wellman with real beryllium. The beryllium is formed from a rolled foil and not vapor-deposited like the TAD diaphragms. The rolled foil is not fragile like the TAD and does not "shatter".

Back to my original question: Has anybody tried the Radian aluminium diaphragm in the 2445, and if so; any good?

Hi Music. I have been using the Radian mylar surround diaphragms in my 2441s for a year now and I would not go back to the origanals. The mylar surround really smooths them out wonderfully without taking away any of the detail. When I first got my diaphragms, 5 of us sat down and, with only one diaphragm installed, A/B the two drivers. I am running them on 350hz Edgarhorns. All 5 of us quickly agreed that the Radian sounded better. Then, a number of months later, cosmos borrowed one of the diaphragms an put it in his 2445. You might want for him to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by djnagle View Post
    Hi Music. I have been using the Radian mylar surround diaphragms in my 2441s for a year now and I would not go back to the origanals. The mylar surround really smooths them out wonderfully without taking away any of the detail. When I first got my diaphragms, 5 of us sat down and, with only one diaphragm installed, A/B the two drivers. I am running them on 350hz Edgarhorns. All 5 of us quickly agreed that the Radian sounded better. Then, a number of months later, cosmos borrowed one of the diaphragms an put it in his 2445. You might want for him to chime in.
    Thanks for that - seems to be a very positive result for the Radians then.

Since I'm on a strict budget here, I feel sad that these are so costly - can't afford them...simple as that

Would these Beryllium domes be the ultimate diaphragm ever for let's say the 2445?

Will they compare to the TADs?

I did swap out the stock diaphragm in a pair of 2445J with the Radian 1245-8 phragms that Dennis is using. I would state that the stoc,k diaphragms extended higher, but the Radians sounded fuller in the lower frequencies (crossed at 600 Hz - 18db/oct with active crossover) and smoother.

If I were doing a 3 way, I'd do the Radians. If I were using them in a 2 way, I'd stay with the stock diaphragms, but try to smooth them or use a different driver.. Thus my thread on how to extend the FR and smooth out the 2445s.

Best

Dan

cosmos
    whats the radian diaphragm part number you're using in the 2445, and how high do they extend?
    I'm getting ready to do DIY 4732's for front left, right, & center but have 12 of the 2445's; so I might get one and play with it first.
    Larry
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

I have a few of the 4 inch Radian diaphragms in storage. If anyone needs some, let me know and I'll see which ones I have.

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Hi Bart,

I'm looking for a pair of Radian 1245 diaphragms (8 & 16 Ohms).

Peter

Mech,
    I sent you a PM earlier as well. Please let me know if you received it.

Thanks,
    D

Thread Information