Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Status of JBL decision to stop recone kits

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Our hobby just went - POOF!
    Keep floggin' that dolphin buddy ...

besides, there are MANY sources of drivers if Harman walks out of the aftermarket biz ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Perhaps you joined the forums 8 year too late. The recone thing has been known for several years. Those who are keen enough obtain after market surround kits for the sake if maintaining the vintage boat anchors.

Best you invest in some new 1200FE .

[quote=Ruediger;276275]I wonder if it is possible to define a minimal set of spare parts (cones and diaphragms) for maximal coverage of baskets and horn drivers. To a certain degree cone kits are interchangeable ("goes-into-list"), and a D16R2450 fits into the elder drivers 375, 2440, 2441, 2445, 2446 etc.
    [quote/]

Excellent Idea = Ruediger;276275, The JBL driver families i have much experience with are unique and quite elegant__aka the LE-175, & 275, LE-85, 2410, 2420, 375 & 2440, and the 2470 with its valuable phynolic "honk-free"diaphragm. The others have aluminum domes and phase plugs derived from Grandfather WECO 594-A, & tangetial suspenssions derived from WECO 555 driver;the 2470, 375, & 2440 have the trditional "half roll" edge from the 594-A.

All of these original JBL drivers have unique voicing significantly different from the later JBL drivers with dimpled surrounds & the "gorrilla" indestructable titanium. These old gems are still quite adequate and accurate. The new JBL products __"except for the
    new magnificient Berylliums"__ do not have the same clear smooth mid-range sound of the old gems, still, many people do like the high frequency extention of the new JBL's & thats their business. The after-market replacments do not have the JBL sound. Original replacement 2420 and 375 JBL diaphragms are perfect for all the drivers in my group for which there is still a tremenous demand for original JBL parts.

BTW, Altec is not dead! GPA still supports every component ever made by Altec and Bill at GPA still has all of the Altec & WECO tooling including the 594-A WECO driver. It would be a good idea for some one to keep an eye on the JBL dumpsters__JBL will probably junk all the old JBL speaker tooling. Take the hint and pickup the JBL ventage speaker legand.

Cheers herki the cat
    Last edited by herki the cat; 01-29-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: ADD info'

I guess I should use some money to buy re-cone kits to the different speakers in my system, and store them in a dark cool place. The ones installed now will probably play for about 10-15 years or so. Then when I install the stored kits it will play 15 years more. After that it does not matter because I probably won't be here anymore or wondering who I am.

Maybe I'm missing something (it's happened before) but I think what has been announced is being overstated. I think Mexicans can make cone kits. I think Chinese can make cone kits, but because industrially China is the wild west right now much of the savings in manufacturing there is lost in substandard output and the cost of the level of oversight it takes to get what the factories say they will deliver. Of this much I am certain. My theory on the low quality of stuff coming out of China is that the above is not included in the calculations that justify the shift of manufacturing there and so some of the substandard product its allowed into the distribution stream.

Hopefully JBL will continue to run its own reconing business (if not here, in Mexico would be my preference) and not try to do it by contract.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    My theory on the low quality of stuff coming out of China is that the above is not included in the calculations that justify the shift of manufacturing there and so some of the substandard product its allowed into the distribution stream.
    I try not to buy "made in Ch1na" gear, but am quite certain that in 5 years or less they will be producing world class gear....I got my Denon AVR cheap because it had a cold solder...made in Ch1na, but the construction/materials are first rate... The label that we currently hang on China goods is the same one that we hung on "Made in Japan" goods in the 50's/60's. They turned it around as the Chinese will.

But all that said....the Chinese workers will start asking for bennies and the companies will move to even cheaper countries , just like our hometown company Nike has done...More and more is being made in VietNam now...but cheaper alternatives are always on the horizon....Haiti anyone ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Diamonds in The Dumpster
    ----------------------------
    Hello, 3413B , hjames, Mr Wedget, fellow members, & BMWCCA, I just heard the axe fall on the JBL speaker replacement parts entity, not looking for a pat on the back, i am wondering if my reply to the: [quote=Ruediger;276275] proposal in the post referenced herein, has any merit or possibility of salvaging the tooling & drawings of the obsolete JBL speakers to carry on in the manner of Altec / GPA who now has repairs for every speaker ever made by Altec. They also repair other manufacturer's speakers. It is well known that Electro Voice & coherts did not want Altec's competition & they decided to buy Altec & kill Altec. It was a blood bath.

[quote=Ruediger;276275]=
    "I wonder if it is possible to define a minimal set of spare parts (cones and diaphragms) for maximal coverage of baskets and horn drivers. To a certain degree cone kits are interchangeable ("goes-into-list"), and a D16R2450 fits into the elder drivers 375, 2440, 2441, 2445, 2446 etc.

[quote=herki the cat,277216]=
    "Excellent Idea , To begin with, there are 100's of professional recording studios that still depend on the same ventage JBL speakers for "mastering their hit records" as well as LH Member Zilch, myself, and others who still dearly love the LE-175, 275, LE-85, 2410, 2420, 375 , 2440, & the 2470.

I previously stated: "BTW, Altec is not dead! GPA still supports every component ever made by Altec and Bill at GPA still has all of the Altec & WECO tooling including the 594-A WECO driver. It would be a good idea for some one to keep an eye on the JBL dumpsters__JBL will probably junk all the old JBL speaker tooling. Take the hint and pickup the JBL ventage speaker legand. [quote/]

Cheers herki the cat
    Last edited by herki the cat; 02-03-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Clean up the text

Recent Reconing

I had my L112's reconed by Oldmics (great job!) this past November. After reading all of this, I'm glad I had it done. At the time, he told me that the factory had 67 recone kits in stock for the 128H driver. He commented to me, "how many 26 year old products can you still buy original parts for?"

Thread Information