Thread: Does the input stage of a CD player matter?

Does the input stage of a CD player matter?

I am toying with the idea of purchasing a CD player that has a digital output. My thinking is the input stage which is just reading D/D (CD digital information) doesn't make any difference in the quality of the signal as it is only a set of ones and zeros and there is no D/A conversion. I can then go D/D from the CD out into a high grade digital recorder which has a superb D/A converter on the output stage. True I am still stuck with a 44.1KHz 16 bit signal but it should be as good as you can get.

I play back my music on the digital recorder so in the end it is not extra work.
    So am I correct in assuming the input stage of a CD makes no difference in the quality?

There are those who would argue that syncing the clock that determines
    the data stream rate with the D/A clock is necessary for optimum listening...

My personal opinion is that of the several ways to do this, having the D/A
    clock "steer/correct" the transport speed, plus some buffer RAM to sort out
    short-term sync errors makes good sense. That, and using a "clock" (VCO)
    with low short-term phase noise as the "master."

It's less trouble to do inside a single transport+D/A box, but it's been done
    successfully in a more modular form.

Yes you can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    I am toying with the idea of purchasing a CD player that has a digital output. My thinking is the input stage which is just reading D/D (CD digital information) doesn't make any difference in the quality of the signal as it is only a set of ones and zeros and there is no D/A conversion. I can then go D/D from the CD out into a high grade digital recorder which has a superb D/A converter on the output stage. True I am still stuck with a 44.1KHz 16 bit signal but it should be as good as you can get.

I play back my music on the digital recorder so in the end it is not extra work.
    So am I correct in assuming the input stage of a CD makes no difference in the quality?
    The input stage of the CD has to read the bit stream correctly and be able correctly plug an errors with CCRC byte and run at the correct speed.

The idea of using a better D/A is not new, many high end receivers have very good D/A conversion.
    At the radio station the production PCs have a pro sound cards (read as $600+) the cards have a very good D/A converters.
    CDs when player on these PCs sound very good on the JBL monitors. The players are the PCs $35 CD/DVD drives.

Yes, I guess it has some value. If you have a low grade D/A in your CD player, taking the SPDIF (coax or optical) output to an external higher grade D/A could result in a better audio quality.

Better cd player systems

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Akira, most of the CDs you buy have timming clock jitter built in that causes very noticable distortion. CEO Paul Mcgowan @ WWW.audio.com has a product _ Aka: "The Digital Lense" which strips the jitter-infested timming clock from the bit stream, discards the clock, and stores the digital Audio bit stream in a tank to later combine with a jitter-free, crystal-controlled local ocillator clock. Of course, external CD player transport and D/A converter equipments are required. The quality of analog sound recoverd can be awesome & superior to the typical integrated CD player product. High quality coaxial digital cables are superior to the Tos Link fiber optics cables.

Professionl coaxial digital cables plus many high quality audio cables are available at warehouse clearance very low cost via link :http://mitcablesexpress.com.

Mark Levenson inc., acquired by Madrigal Inc., a subsiduary of Harman, recently produced the professional "Mark Levensen" State of the Art, CD Player consisting of a transport, model #31.1 featuring a temperature-controlled oven, crystal-oscillator to run the CD Transport Motor. This stable clock also combines with the digital audio bit stream previously strippped of its jitter. The resulting sound quality is superb from the companion Mark Levensen D/A converter, model #30.1.

Cheers & good luck herki the cat
    Last edited by herki the cat; 01-24-2010 at 03:52 AM. Reason: text clean up

Thread Information