Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review of PSS600 amplifier in Australia

There will no doubt be exceptions and the Altec is fine example.

I have not auditioned any pro marketed main stream power amps of current day technology in recent times so I can't comment or generalise either way.

However in my travels recently I did hear some fine QSC, Amcron amps used in JBL monitor system and they performed very nicely and to the owners expectations which is what matters.

I also heard a MacIntosh power amp on current SOA JBL monitors and consider it to be a superior power amplifer (IMHO)although they are more expensive so that is to be expected . This observation appears to be reinforced by a review in a current Amercian Audiophile magazine.

That said I heard a Halco at show and though it was over rated.

Anyway I never make judgement calls on equipment unless in my own system for a reasonable period. Even then its like tasting wine and often blending is the key.

Ian

Figge
    ian: any news on when the amp will arive?

Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie

Anyway I never make judgement calls on equipment unless in my own system for a reasonable period. Even then its like tasting wine and often blending is the key.

Ian

So true! It really gets me when someone listens to an amp they never heard in a room they are unfamiliar with, listening to speakers they don't know, and a CD they've never.... and they say that amp was really....

Who knows? You must change one variable at a time and then there is still the system interaction "blending" to use your analogy.

Widget

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Who knows? You must change one variable at a time and then there is still the system interaction "blending" to use your analogy.

Widget
    When I am asked listening at something, I refuse, as I do not know the room, the amp, the speakers, the CD player, the wires and perhaps the recording!

I am working close with an audiophile shop since 3 years and I begin listening carefully at their place since 6 months as I begin to have an idea of the room!

It gives me an idea of the quality of such and such brands, I like it or not (I must say that the owner of this shop knows by now my tastes and selects only what can suit me).

When I modify something in an amplifier I listen several tunes and record I know by heart and I am very sensitive to the slightest change (same room, same speakers, same wires, etc).

I spent 3 months listening each component of an amplifier to get a quite good idea on what I was playing with before making a semi final choice, and then went back again listening before validating something, if ever you can validate something as when you change a bridge you must listen at it with a specific transformer and capacitor, then change both items before selecting the bridge and same for all other components!

It is a huge work, and I have not THE perfect ear!

To get my job validated, I lend amplifiers, and sometimes I am said: your amplifier, pffff do not sound good because a b c d and I go back at my workbench!

The PS600 is on its way for review to Greg Borrowman at Australian HiFi Magazine.

The initial reaction of Billy, our NET contact is "Excellent".

I will keep you posted of any news as it develops.

Ian

PSS AUDIO

Review of a PSS600 in a French magazine

For those reading or understanding some French, you can read here the latest test bench about a PSS600:

http://www.pssaudio.com/presse/BESON...DMKII-2004.ZIP

Base on an email response from Aust HiFi magazine we should see a review soon enough.

Ian

PSS AUDIO
    Great!

As they have it since about 3 months, does it mean that they enjoyed it that much?

If ever you know something about it, please let us know…

PSS AUDIO

Review of a PSS600 MKII in UK

Good evening!

While waiting Robs paper, and others, an English HiFi end user just posted his review about his PSS amp (http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33)!

I hope it will help you making up your “mind”.

Yuri,

An email response from Greg Borrowman advised the sample amp has been send back to NET. I will call Billy on Thursday (public holiday Wednesday) and arrange shipping so I can evaluate it and write up a review.

Ian

Well it appears there is some confusion over the where abouts of the amp .

Neither Net or the Magazine claim to have the amp at the moment.

Perhaps Yuri can enquire about the status of the PSS600?

Ian

PSS AUDIO

Last Message

Gone with the wind!

I'll wait the magazine review, if ever something is printed about this PSS600.

Yes, I am fed up waiting that Giskard takes some time hooking the PSS1200 to his system, Rob informing us how this amp worked at his place, Scott paying me the one he ordered (the application form he provided has no value, he is unable providing me with the reference of the transfer and bill is unpaid since last October).

I’m loosing time and money.

I quit this place, enjoy yourselves, without me.

Useless writing me or phoning me.

PLEASE CLOSE MY ACCOUNT

Oh no.....

Yuri your not leaving us yet!

Yes I understand your frustrations.... "But down here when we say we're gonna do something it does happen." You might have guessed that by now.

I can tell you is a review has been done and I assume from the time he had it he must have like it. I will call Greg Borrowman myself in the morning to see if I can find out more about the review and current schedule to publish.

I have called Billy twice since Christmas to chase up the amp as I was told it was returned and we have arranged for one of his local rep's to deliver it.

If Billy can get the amp down here this week I'll start reviewing it immediately and promise to publish a full write on the Forums by the weekend. We also have some other JBL buddies down here who I think would like to audition it.

Please Pm me if you wish to discuss further.

regards

Ian

Just a note to advise I have investigated the situation regards the review of the PSS 600 here in Australia.

The amp has been located and the reaction by the reviewer is most favourable.

I trust I will have the amp in a near future and plan to a provide Lansing Forum Members detailed subjective account using several systems incl L100 and 4345 JBL monitors. If other local forum members wish to evaluate the amp this will be arranged.

No doubt Yuri will be pleased with this turn of events.

Ian Mackenzie

Sounds like the amp could arrive this week.

According to the importer getting stuff that back of a reviewer that good can take a bit of doing......that's understandable.

Ian

EDIT: Had an email response that the importer NET will have the amp back today so with any luck I may have the amp by weeks end.

Thread Information