Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review of PSS600 amplifier in Australia

PSS AUDIO

Review of PSS600 amplifier in Australia

Ian,

As said earlier, we are about to ship a pallet to NET next week.

I already informed Billy about the amplifier I will add for you.

I will prepare a PSS600 from the PA series (same as for Scott) with the following modifications:

26-db gain,
    120 000MF of JAMICON capacitors instead of 80 000MF.

It is in fact the amplifier I used as I am wiring tomorrow an MKIII amplifier for my personal use.

What will differ from an MKIII from an MKII amplifier?

Modified ground around the capacitors (if you open the PSS600 you will receive we added some wires between the bridges and the capacitors, we modified the MKIII board to have two complete fills - top and bottom - around the mains capacitors),

I came back from the twin bridge system to two bridges wired in parallel.

I hope you will fall in love and let it know to the magazines you are working with!

To get in touch with NET:

NETWORK ENTERTAINEMENT
    Unit 2 98 Old Pittwater road
    Brookvale
    2100 NSW

Phone : + 61 2 9905 5997
    Fax : + 61 2 9905 9440
    Email : [email protected]

You can also follow this topic on PSS forum boards: http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27
    Last edited by PSS AUDIO; 07-07-2004 at 01:39 PM.

Yuri,

Thankyou for the update,

I look forward to listening to the amp and posting a review.

The amp will also sent to other interested parties for evaluation

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 07-07-2004 at 08:40 PM.

Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Yuri,

The amp will also sent to other interesting parties for evaluation

Ian
    In what way are they interesting ?

Widget

Alex Lancaster

Wink

They have a third ear, very interesting.

Widget!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Try reading that post again.

:o

Actually they are interesting parties, from time to time. the who's who of audio, nice flirty woman...tut tut...your just jealous...LOL.

Actually, there may have to be a gathering of Aussie forumites for " A Pour Out" when it arrives.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 07-07-2004 at 08:47 PM.

Figge
    rated power on the pss600?

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Figge
    rated power on the pss600?
    PSS600 = 300W/4ohm + 300W/4ohm
    PSS1200 = 600W/4ohm + 600W/4ohm
    PSS2400 = 1200W/4ohm + 1200W/4ohm

Please read all technical characteristics: http://www.pssaudio.com/english/amps.htm

PSS AUDIO

Scott will soon receive a custom PSS600

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    Yuri is making me a custom PSS 600 for my mid application!

This I have very good feelings about, because I already know the tonality of his amp through the mids! And the amp will be optimized for exactly what i am doing with it! His amp has that smoooooooooth tone through the mid band!
    This custom amplifier is an evolution of one of the studio amplifiers I am working on since 3 years time from now; all our “regular” power amplifiers taking benefit of all my investigation.

This amplifier has the following characteristics:

Same box and PCB (MKII +; Scott received an MKII one) that a PSS600 or 1200,

2x150W at 4 ohms
    2x120W at 6 ohms (as it will be loaded by 3 2441)
    2x100W at 8 ohms

40 000MF per channel
    2x 400VA round transformer (same VA used for a PSS600).

Upon Scott’s request we will add binding posts, set the input sensitivity at 1V and remove the balanced IC (it can be placed back when ever you want, you will have to remove a wire link bypassing the balanced input stage).

I am happy that the PSS1200 Scott is testing is very smooth, as Scott says it is smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.

I intended such a warm sound as almost all amplifiers you can hear today (transistorised amplifiers) not only gives you pain in the neck listening at them for more than 10 minutes!

Unless the recording is bad, you can listen at high SPL PSS amplifiers, never will your ear get tired and damaged in any case.

And they have a lot of personality too, they sound well with the right tonality!

MKII- vs MKII:

Deeper and more defined bass (perhaps what Scott was complaining a little);
    Warmer low mids;
    Mids more precise and even more present;
    Mids less shinny, if ever they were with the MKII board: I would say more graceful;
    A greater stereophonic image where sound is not only coming from the speaker area only: imagine that the stage is located between Los Angeles and new York and goes as far Alaska and of course up to the sky!

I called Billy this morning,

The amp should arrive some time next week.

They appear quite enthusiastic about a hifi version.

Ian

Hi Ian,

That sounds like a great idea, because I would be interested in reviewing it.

If you could forward it to me after you've finished, that would be
    great. The address is:

Greg Borrowman
    Australian HI-FI Magazine
    Horwitz Publications
    Level 5, 55 Chandos Street
    St Leonards, NSW 2065.

I am interested in how and why you came to be reviewing the product, and suggesting further reviews.

Regards,

Greg Borrowman
    Editor
    Australian HI-FI Magazine

Greg Borrowman is highly regarded is the industry so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Ian

PSS AUDIO
    Ian,

I hope you will soon put your hands on this amplifier!

Can you please let us know why you are interested in reviewing this so-called "audio pro" amplifier while you are an audiophile user?

It is true that I think that so-called "audio pro" amplifiers are making noise rather than music that is why I try not making too much noise and more music!

Quote""
    "Can you please let us know why you are interested in reviewing this so-called "audio pro" amplifier while you are an audiophile user? "

I am not an audiophile user, I am a diy audio guy..but I like things that uses lots of power and make big JBL's sound nice...
    LOL. I previously trashed my Phase Linears...the both of them, they were Pro vintage amps, not hifi by todays standards.

Pending how the PSS sounds, I am sure it will fit in quite nicely somewhere.

"It is true that I think that so-called "audio pro" amplifiers are making noise rather than music that is why I try not making too much noise and more music!"

I think any amp can be termed Pro audio.

Pro Audio can mean anything where equipment is used to derive an income or profit. It could easily be a hifi amp in record store or a home studio or a PA rack.

Its a case of the market and application the manufacturer distributes to and the packaging.

In the touring market segment the stakes are high for sheer power, low cost and weight because they are key F + B.

HiFi power amps are not uncommon in recording studios, Quad 405's, Thesholds, Chord etc.

Any seperates chassis power amps over 100 watts or so are often referred to pro amps, particularly if the have XL balanced inputs.

What goes on inside is much the same, you feed a signal and its amplified with voltage and current gain.

In the case of PSS, the focus appears to be on audiophile sound for the pro market. We will find out soon enough.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 08-03-2004 at 04:04 AM.

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I am not an audiophile user, I am a diy audio guy..but I like things that uses lots of power and make big JBL's sound nice...
    LOL. I previously trashed my Phase Linears...the both of them, they were Pro vintage amps, not hifi by todays standards.

Ian
    Ian,

Let's go back a little, and remember ALTEC 9440, Phase Linear amps, SAE, and others...

All of them are dead by now; some were built for Hi-Fi use and used in sound reinforcement systems as they had a real sound quality others did not have!

I think that a restored 9440 amplifier (same for SAE) will sound great, even better than 95% of what can be sold on the market labelled as Hi-Fi, audiophile, professional or whatever one wants to name it!

Schematic is just the same one, an AB one, the choice of components giving, or not, the sound quality.

Prices dropped down since 30 years and manufacturing again those amps as they were designed will cost less than before and quite nothing more than what is generally sold by so called big names!

Thread Information