Thread: Recone or Resurround!!

whej4312

Recone or Resurround!!

Good day to all,
    My first post here on Audio Heritage.
    Has anybody ever replaced the surrounds on 128H's& PR300's? My cones are in great shape, but after 25 years the foam has rotted away. I have seen a few sites as well as resellers on eBay selling foam kits. I know Harman sells Recone kits, but wow are they expensive. I would like to get my L150
    Millenium's up and running again.

RIP 2009
    Just surrounds should be fine if the rest of the speaker is in good shape. I had the LF and PR in by set of L150 speakers refoamed and they sound great!

John

Hello

Yeah no problem you can have them done or DIY. We have a great DIY thread written by Bo. Do a search there is alot in the forums on the subject.

Rob

I think that it might be a good idea to get them reconed, not because they need it now, but because the kits will not be available forever. Think about ten years from now, you may be glad then that you spent the extra today. This is why I ofen wish that JBL would sell the kits to end users, so that we could put them away for the future.

Hey, whej4312... Welcome.

I've resurround a number of pairs of 128H, and it goes fine. A pretty straight-forward basket to work on (er, in... ).

But, I have to agree with Don, and, as Giskard and I have both posted previously, a recone is the bestest way to go - that refreshes all moving parts. I had a pair of 128H's that looked fine, but had a very odd smell - I think they'd been fried. They ultimately didn't hold-up to proper testing, but were fine on recone. Too bad JBL Pro won't sell us mortals recone kits - you'll have to get the work done at an auithorized JBL service center.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Alex Lancaster

Smile

"you'll have to get the work done at an auithorized JBL service center"

Which will help the aftermarket industry tremendously like it has on other industries; I guess their bean counters have it all wrong, look at the VW Beetle, You can restore it decently with very few OEM parts, same for Caterpillar, the latter has come up with an el cheapo line that really sucks, trying to keep up with the aftermarket.

whej4312
    Thanks a bunch gents.....

I recieved a call about an hour ago from a friend that can get recone kits for me wholsale. He works for a major Electronics supply house that carries Harman and JBL Parts. ( NIce to have a few connections !!) Here endeth the problem. Look's like in a few days the ol'
    L150's will be singin' again.
    BTW.. The L150's are not my mains. A friend of mine was getting rid of them. He bought 'em new from a PX in Guam in '79. He still had the factory cartons, grill cartons, with packaging, and owners manuals.I just thought it would be nice to restore the 'ol cuss's. Im not a big fan of the 033 tweeter. My Speaker of choice is actually the pair I had in college. They sit on either side of my Mac Powered by a Proton Integrated (80 Wattsper). They are none other than 4312a monitors on Sound Anchor stands. I just can't bring myself to let go of a speaker that is so much a part of American Audio Heritage, ya know? Timing, Resolution, Image.. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Originally posted by whej4312
    ...I recieved a call about an hour ago from a friend that can get recone kits for me wholsale. He works for a major Electronics supply house that carries Harman and JBL Parts. (
    Interesting, but be fully aware that he/she runs great risk in losing their JBL "authorization" if they make these kits available to you, personally. JBL are quite pedantic about the "JBL authorized service" criterion. And, please don't confuse me the messenger, with the message...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

whej4312
    Originally posted by boputnam
    JBL are quite pedantic about the "JBL authorized service" criterion.
    Yes, I do know that. They are an authorized service center and they have two tech's that are JBL certified reconers. One of them will go through my woofs.
    Thanks for the tip though.

Thread Information