Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JBL Performance Series AV2

JBL 4645
    I forget which thread he carted that had the final look of the system at least two threads, I’ll have lookie though and have another little picture show peek.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    thanks Ti Dome
    You're welcome. I edited the post listing the direct modes. I neglected to put in 2.0 analog bypass.
    Out.

Inspired by Heather, I'm updating this thread.

A while back I decided to give the HDMI input and output a whirl. I had the chance to pick up a couple of premium HDMI cables (what does that even mean?) for a song, so I grabbed them.

I ran a short HDMI cable from the Oppo BDP-83SE to the AV2, then a long cable to my PJ.

That exposed problem #1, which is that the AV2 degrades the video from the Oppo. The Anchor Bay chip in the Oppo is quite superior, and there's no way to pass that signal through the AV2 without the lesser Faroudja chip messing with it. Obviously, that wasn't going to fly.

That exposed problem #2, which is that the AV2 has two HDMI inputs and only one output. IF there were two outputs and one could be configured to pass through video without internal processing, then I could still route audio through the AV2 via HDMI while bypassing its video circuitry--but, no such luck.

Thus I am back to running HDMI for video only direct to the PJ and utilizing other methods for audio into the AV2.

When I get the chance I'm going to dig deeper into the set up menus on the AV2 to see if it's possible to overcome this obstacle. As it stands, there's no obvious way to do it.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

A while back I decided to give the HDMI input and output a whirl. I had the chance to pick up a couple of premium HDMI cables (what does that even mean?) for a song, so I grabbed them.
    Monoprice I take it, like the ones I got a while back?

I was also using a monoprice 2 port HDMI switch last year when I had the HK AVR 7300 in place - then got a 4 port version earlier this year when I got that Yamaha AVR after the HK receiver died.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

I ran a short HDMI cable from the Oppo BDP-83SE to the AV2, then a long cable to my PJ.

That exposed problem #1, which is that the AV2 degrades the video from the Oppo. The Anchor Bay chip in the Oppo is quite superior, and there's no way to pass that signal through the AV2 without the lesser Faroudja chip messing with it. Obviously, that wasn't going to fly.

That exposed problem #2, which is that the AV2 has two HDMI inputs and only one output. IF there were two outputs and one could be configured to pass through video without internal processing, then I could still route audio through the AV2 via HDMI while bypassing its video circuitry--but, no such luck.

Thus I am back to running HDMI for video only direct to the PJ and utilizing other methods for audio into the AV2.

When I get the chance I'm going to dig deeper into the set up menus on the AV2 to see if it's possible to overcome this obstacle. As it stands, there's no obvious way to do it.
    AH, thats what I thought after reading your posts and looking through the manual - it occurs to me the best approach would be to run the Oppo BR's HDMI direct to the HDTV, and run any other HDMI signals (AppleTV, CATV, Direct TV, TIVO, whatever) through the AV2 and then to any other HDMI input on your TV and switch source there as needed.
    Or use a external HDMI switch rated for 1080i or better.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

AV-2 #2 (get your mind out of the toilet)

I received three inquiries about what I'm doing with the second AV-2, so I'm economizing by posting here.

I bought it specifically to replace the Synthesis® SDP-5, which is really a Lexicon MC-8 (just like the AV-2 is an MV-5).

As you'll recall, my first AV-2 kicked the SDP-5 out of my HT, mostly due to the SDP-5 not having 7.1 analog input capability. As it turned out there was more to recommend the AV-2 over the SDP-5 than just that, and I've grown to appreciate the AV-2 more and more, while I've grown more irritated with the SDP-5 in subsequent uses.

First I used the SDP-5 as a stop-gap pre with the K2s, but Grumpy and I both disliked it as a stereo pre, so out it went to the Performance Series set up, which is 5.1 and therefore a logical fit for SACD and DVD-A playback among other things. Grumpy left his Proceed Pre on loan for the K2s.

Over time the SDP-5 developed an annoying habit of emitting a high-picthed whine when turned off. It was barely discernible, but when I noticed it, I could not get it out of my mind until I left the room. When the opportunity to get an AV-2 plus the iPod Bridge came up, it was irresistible, so I bought the second AV-2 with the express purpose of kicking the SDP-5 (which is also the Performance AV-1 BTW) out of another system.

The AV-2 integrates well into the Performance Series, is easy to set up, and not only is silent when off but quieter when on. In addition, it has some more up-to-date surround modes, USB play capability, iPod integration, and more.

The other plus is pure vanity, and that is now the processor, the amp (AVA-7), and all the speakers are genuine Performance Series.

As for the poor SDP-5, I moved that up to the master bedroom to replace an aging SDP-3. I coupled it with an older Synthesis® 6150 amp and plugged into a Niles IPC-6 so the power is cut when it's off, and it looks like I'll keep ti there for a while.
    Out.

Thread Information