Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shallow DVD movie review-the JBL-a/d/s sound

JBL 4645
    Now this is one I wouldn’t mind seen it many times on TV in its Panned and scanned form that robs the viewer of the fullness scope 2.35:1.

According to dvdactve the film appears to have re-mix to Dolby 5.1 I think the region 1 DVD had this treatment first and might have been translated mirrored to Bluray in the same form at higher bit rate.

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/three-days-of-condor-the.html

I wasn’t aware you brought a bluray play Tom?

I looked around and it apares to one of these gems not on (DVD region 2 Bluray region B).

The DVD beaver has some cool technical specs and screenshots
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews45/3_days_of_the_condor_blu-ray.htm

Paramount Pictures UK needs to get there act together and pull their socks up and get this released on Bluray.

I’m going to say and the original monaural mix should be included

It’s a petty Sidney Pollack isn’t around to give this an audio commentary. The extras on the bluray are slim its like the paying the price for average cinema ticket except its not original monaural. Who knows I might even like the re-mix?

Tom, 5+ is that like 11 on guitar amps? lol!

Pretty early into your new career to be giving out the best score IMHO, What happens when you get to the classics like Ishtar...

Carry on , another enjoyable SEAWOLF thread...

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Tom, 5+ is that like 11 on guitar amps? lol!

Pretty early into your new career to be giving out the best score IMHO, What happens when you get to the classics like Ishtar...

Carry on , another enjoyable SEAWOLF thread...

Mark
    SSR = Seawolf's subjective rating ( 1-5 )

Ishtar MAY not get reviewed ....but "Little Big Man" will ...

and while on a James Coburn run...I now have "Duck, you Sucker" and "The Presidents Analyst" to view.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Ishtar is nowhere near as bad as the rumours made out.
    Netflicks had it for instant view a while back, so we watched it through the TIVO and the 4341s and such.

Kinda trite - sort of like a Bob Hope "Road" movie, a chuckle here and there but few huge laughs ... two guys trying to make it as singers ... think of the Bill Murray lounge shtick from old SNL, maybe with a bit of Get Smart spy antics mixed in .... not a great movie, but certainly not the world's biggest flop or whatever its supposed to be ...

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    SSR = Seawolf's subjective rating ( 1-5 )

Ishtar MAY not get reviewed ....but "Little Big Man" will ...

and while on a James Coburn run...I now have "Duck, you Sucker" and "The Presidents Analyst" to view.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I don't remember the proper name/spelling for gigi or gigalicous (jlo?)or whatever it really is...so I used Ishtar not to embarrass myself , got the point I think

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

I don't remember the proper name/spelling for gigi or gigalicous (jlo?)or whatever it really is...so I used Ishtar not to embarrass myself , got the point I think

Mark
    Gigi?? insulting Leslie Caron? Mon Dieu!
    or perhaps you mean the jLow tripe ... Gigli
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

We have a "loser" , thanks for playing (and helping)

Mark

Mark
    YES, but ....Jiggly is an multi award winner

WORST PICTURE OF THE DECADE (3 SPECIAL 30TH RAZZIE-VERSARY AWARDZ)
    "Gigli" (2003) -- Nominated for 10 Razzies, winner of seven
    (including Worst Comedy of Our First 25 Years)
    WORST ACTOR OF THE DECADE
    Ben Affleck -- (Nominated for nine "achievements,"winner" of two Razzies) "Daredevil," "Gigli,"

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I wasn’t aware you brought a bluray play Tom?
    If you knocked on my door and handed me one - gratis .....I'd just stick it in the 2 channel audio only system....after a while, having the latest,greatest whizbang gadget has no importance. When you hit a certain level of sufficetance , more is not needed....my DVD player does all formats...dump everything and go buy it all again in a new format ?? aint gonna happen.

JBL 4645
    YES, but ....Jiggly is an multi award winner

WORST PICTURE OF THE DECADE (3 SPECIAL 30TH RAZZIE-VERSARY AWARDZ)
    "Gigli" (2003) -- Nominated for 10 Razzies, winner of seven
    (including Worst Comedy of Our First 25 Years)
    WORST ACTOR OF THE DECADE
    Ben Affleck -- (Nominated for nine "achievements,"winner" of two Razzies) "Daredevil," "Gigli,"

If you knocked on my door and handed me one - gratis .....I'd just stick it in the 2 channel audio only system....after a while, having the latest,greatest whizbang gadget has no importance. When you hit a certain level of sufficetance , more is not needed....my DVD player does all formats...dump everything and go buy it all again in a new format ?? aint gonna happen.
    LOL you’re a funny bugger sometimes Tom.

You are aware of some poor telecine and poor colour balance transfers now flooding the market on both formats!

Only a few only a few do seem to do it right and we need that few more than ever to fix the already large number of botched up titles.

Still there is the original medium called “cinema” and that is the place to go and see it in its true original form.

As for stereo 2 channels I sometimes mute the LCR/LFE.1 and just listen to the stereo surrounds wow.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    LOL you’re a funny bugger sometimes Tom.
    I dont know if being called "a funny bugger" by you is:

1. A mark of shame ....... or
    2. A badge of Honor ?

but either way, I'll buy you a beer if we ever cross paths.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    If you like that, hunt down "The Magic Christian"
    ... soundtrack by Badfinger
    The day after I read this post HJ, walk into a thrift and spotted this LP ...unfortunately the
    vinyl was in poor condition...I'll look for it on TPB.

JBL 4645
    I dont know if being called "a funny bugger" by you is:

1. A mark of shame ....... or
    2. A badge of Honor ?

but either way, I'll buy you a beer if we ever cross paths.

The day after I read this post HJ, walk into a thrift and spotted this LP ...unfortunately the
    vinyl was in poor condition...I'll look for it on TPB.
    It would full into category 2 Badge of honour.

And by the way that is nice cat, large predator of a pussycat. Wow you change your avatars more times, than I change my underpants.

OKAY, I'm not a war movie guy, but

I like aviation. Watched the PBS show abt "Who shot down the Red Barron" last week and remembered that somewhere in the past I'd seen part of "The Blue Max" and wanted to see the whole thing someday. Picked it up/down 2 days ago.

It's a 1966 movie in glorious 2.0 ....most likely George Peppards best work...the photography is outstanding , the aerial scenes almost as good as Apocalypse Now.
    Sound quality is much better than what you would expect from the era.

a couple of synopsis from IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060177/

the tactics of a German fighter pilot offend his aristocratic comrades but win him his country's most honored medal, the Blue Max. The General finds him useful as a hero even though his wife also finds him useful as a love object. In the end the General arranges for him to test-fly an untried fighter. Written by Ed Stephan <[email protected]>

Promoted from the ranks after spending two years in the trenches, Bruno Stachel becomes a flying officer in Germany's World War I air force. Most of the officer corps comes from Germany's aristocratic elite and Stachel feels out of place. This does not dampen his ambition however as he single-mindedly pursues his goal: to be awarded the Blue Max, given for shooting down 20 enemy planes. His blind ambition leads him to claim a kill that is not his and when he confides in the beautiful wife of a General, disaster is inevitable.
    Written by garykmcd

All in all, it had a real story that was interesting , No fuggin CGI , and a good cast ...recommended

Oh yea...eqpt has changed to AR90 mains, JBL CL-505 center and a/d/s surrounds
    Attached Images Attached Images   

El Cid

CONCLUSION: WOW

SUMMARY: Charlton & Sophia at the very tops of their careers (1961) in a medieval epic that must be among the top 10 movies EVER made....utterly beyond my words ......but

here is what others say: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054847/usercomments

(it left me stunned , all the movies from that other thread combined aren't worth 2 minutes of El Cid)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like aviation.
    Have you seen the documentary title One Six Right? It is an homage to general aviation. Pretty fun if you like flying. A bonus, in the extra features there is a short film of a Pitts Special filmed plane to plane. The soundtrack must be from Stomp.

As for El Cid, I remember being very impressed as a kid seeing it on the big screen. But I didn't think, and still don't, that it was in the same league as Ben Hur. I consider that to be the ultimate big Hollywood movie. Next up in my book, though not really Hollywood, might be Lawrence Of Arabia.

As for the category of epics that are really love stories, I rank Doctor Zhivago over all others, El Cid included. The highest class great film I have ever seen is The Remains Of The Day. I was astonished that films of that quality were still being made, even then. Smaller films, yes, but not big films like that.

All one man's opinion, of course. And this man is movie crazy, more than most.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

thanx for the response , Clark

I have to admit that the ending for EC was a tad hokey ...CH discussed Ben Hur in the extras and noted that it was somewhat a 1 dimensional story ....what I found very interesting was the revelation that Heston and Loren got along VERY poorly ....he was jealous of her higher paycheck and in many scenes would not look a "the love of his life" ..they were both pro enough to not show the situation much on screen..

Believe it or not ..... I've never seen Dr.Z ...was in a different universe during its first run and then just never got around to it ...will put it on the list

Thread Information