Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Shallow DVD movie review-the JBL-a/d/s sound

can't believe that you can watch this online, download FREE

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I've reviewed it before,but

recently picked up the 2 LP soundtrack of Amadeus. very nice. So I checked the library and they now had the movie on bluray.
    I prefer the bd's mainly for the extras that are usually contained.

So I think we've all seen and heard it. Not going to review the great plot , but you can read here ==>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadeus_(film)

I viewed the "making of.." extra before the feature and they mentioned that the music was essentially a 3rd leading character . Conducted by Neville Mariner (on a fluke .. director ran across him at an airport, they only had an hour to pitch to and agree to a contract) . NM's only demand...that they don't change even 1 note of Mozart's music (mozart in German means "sloppy")

When my son was 3 or so, I made cassettes to play when he went to bed , the player had auto-stop, so the scheme worked well. I auditioned Bach, Hayden, and the rest. Eventually settled on LVB, Mozart & Vivaldi. He was able to ID the composers from the music.

In retrospect, those 3 are really the giants (IMHO) of classical.

Back to the film: The bluray was first class image & sound. It was financed by Saul Zaentz (the guy who cheated CCR out of so much income) - Fogerty was so angry that he put out the tune "Zanz Can't Dance"

The closing track on Centerfield, this was originally titled "Zanz Kant Danz" to refer to Saul Zaentz, Fogerty's former boss at Fantasy Records, who famously tried to sue Fogerty for plagiarizing himself (specifically his Creedence Clearwater Revival material, to which Zaentz held the rights) in the song "The Old Man Down The Road" from the same album. The song is about an unnamed street dancer and his sidekick, a pig trained to pick people's pockets as they watch the dancer do his stuff. The pig, originally named Zanz as a dig at Saul Zaentz, "Can't dance, but he'll steal your money - watch him or he'll rob you blind." When Zaentz threatened Fogerty with yet another lawsuit, Fogerty changed the pig's name to Vanz.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/john...vanz-kant-danz

Another song from the Centerfield album, "Mr. Greed," is also thought to be a musical salvo by Fogerty in his long-running feud with Zaentz, which lasted until 2004 when Fantasy Records was bought out by Concord Records, who restored Fogerty's rights to his CCR material

So I watched Netflix's - "The Other Side of the Wind" - the completion of the uncompleted Orson Welles final film and became more interested in OW.

Did a library search, and the DVD's have been coming in.

Touch of Evil (1958)

what an incredible Tour de Force. . Cannot believe that I'd never seen this before.

A stark, perverse story of murder, kidnapping, and police corruption in a Mexican border town.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052311/

what a cast

Charlton Heston
    Janet Leigh
    Orson Welles
    Dennis Weaver
    Marlene Dietrich
    Zsa Zsa Gabor
    Henry Mancini

geeze, abt a 12 on the 1 to 10 scale.

The Secret Life of Nikola Tesla (1980)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079985/?ref_=nv_sr_2

a Yugoslavia production ...low key, but interesting
    IF fact based, then Edison was a real turd and reminiscence of the
    "businessman" in our daily news.

7 of 10
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ah, Orson Wells. An incredible but undeniable fact is that the studios had such a complete stranglehold on the industry after Citizen Kane Wells never again had complete creative control of his films with any sort of budget. That doesn't change the fact that his next film, the mutilated The Magnificent Ambersons, is still a masterpiece. I think it's still worth a look. Unfortunately, when the suits recut it they threw away the negative of what they didn't use, so it can never be restored.

Don Quixote is a sad example of the budgets he had to work with. The 1993 release of the documentary It's All True has footage demonstrating how capable he still was when he had money for nothing but a camera, some film, and some gas. In fact, after his struggles with Hollywood, he found it liberating. I'm sure he was not the only genus to find guerilla filmmaking invigorating. (Ahem, Peter Fonda)

It reminds me of Francis Ford Coppola's recent work done after he lost all major backing. Not popular but often brilliant and nothing like any big budget project could ever produce (that's a compliment). Youth Without Youth is fascinating and Tetro is as good as it gets. We all should have known after he made Rumble Fish (1983). Lamenting the lack of Art Films for teenagers, his second such little film (The Outsiders was the first) wildly overshot the mark and he released a masterpiece. His preternatural ability to spot talent was never better. The cast of then-unknown or little-known talent (plus Dennis Hopper) is stunning.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Ah, Orson Wells. An incredible but undeniable fact is that the studios had such a complete stranglehold on the industry after Citizen Kane Wells never again had complete creative control of his films with any sort of budget.
    here is a good review of "Touch Of Evil" .. https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/g...h-of-evil-1958

I'm currently trying to watch "F is for fake" ... can only take short exposures at a time,the editing wears me down .... it must have been the model for MTV's style.

After reading some of the reviews from RogerE , have gone back to the library site and puts hold on an old fave "Nosferatu" and the yet to be seen (by me) "Shadow of the Vampire"

The German director F.W. Murnau hires Max Schreck, the "ultimate method actor," to play Count Orlock in his vampire masterpiece Nosferatu. In Murnau's quest for realism, the movie is filmed at night in Czechoslovakia and Schreck appears only in character and full makeup. As cast and crew begin to disappear, it seems that Murnau has made a devil's bargain with Schreck, whose performance is too authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Rush (2013)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1979320/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I liked it , much better than expected. yes, it was rather formula (no pun intended) and I'm reading that the true facts were massaged around a bit for dramatic license, but it was enjoyable.
    Left with a real respect for Niki Lauda
    Niki Lauda, who has died aged 70, was a three-time Formula 1 world champion, non-executive chairman of the world champion Mercedes team, and one of the biggest names in motorsport.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46781936

The Bounty (1984 film)

This is the 3rd (or maybe 4th) different version that I've seen, tho the 1984 one is more like
    Mutiny on the Bounty (lite)

Fine cast ...Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Daniel Day-Lewis, Laurence Olivier, Liam Neeson , but just lacking in detail, motivations, life.

from Wiki ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bounty_(1984_film) ,

"others were disappointed with the film, especially given its distinguished cast. Many critics singled out Gibson's performance as bland, particularly when compared to the performances given by Clark Gable and Marlon Brando in two earlier adaptations. Vincent Canby of the New York Times stated, "Both Bligh and Christian are unfinished characters in a screenplay that may or may not have been tampered with... The movie seems to have been planned, written, acted, shot and edited by people who were constantly being over-ruled by other people. It's totally lifeless"

"Anthony Hopkins later said "It was such a sad mess of a film, such a botched job. Yet I'd put so much time and effort into the role. So right then and there I decided: Never again. I will no longer invest so much effort in something over which I have no control. It's too frustrating. That film was a sort of turning point for me. For years I'd been trying to cultivate a don't-give-a-damn attitude. After watching `The Bounty' I knew I had it."

It's a classic story and Hopkins was superb as usual , but SW would only rate it as 6 of 10 stars.

for fans of "noir"

Body Heat (1981)

8+ on SW's subjective raring scale

Ned Racine is a seedy small town lawyer in Florida. During a searing heatwave he's picked up by married Matty Walker. A passionate affair commences but it isn't long before they realise the only thing standing in their way is Matty's rich husband Edmund. A plot hatches to kill him but will they pull it off? Written by Col Needham <[email protected]>

very well done, fine cast ..the soundtrack (by John Barry, no less) is very fine too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082089/

I like to watch the DVD extras ... interviews were done in 2001. kathleen turner , who was so hot in this movie has changed a bit in 20 years ...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=kath...w=1280&bih=596

following the path of diana riggs, Linda Rhonstadt, Mary of PP & M ...etc.

Body Heat (1981)
    So , Body Heat reignited an interest in "film noir" that I'd let fade.

yesterday went thru :
    Film Noir:Bringing Darkness to Light

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0876257/

"Clips from noir classics and little-known gems, plus interviews with modern noir aficionados like directors Christopher Nolan and Frank Miller, writers James Ellroy and Brian Helgeland and others shape this multifaceted exploration of the movie style that grew out of the hard realities of post-World War II life"--Container.

That contained an interesting quote:

“Here’s what film noir is to me. It’s a righteous, generically American film movement that went from 1945 to 1958 and ex-posited one great theme and that theme is… you’re f*cked. You have just met a woman, you are inches away from the greatest sex of your life but within six weeks of meeting the woman you will be framed for a crime you did not commit and you’ll end up in the gas chamber and as they strap you in and you’re about to breath the cyanide fumes you’ll be grateful for the few weeks you had with her and grateful for your own death.”

— James Ellroy

Have abt 8 films of the genre on HOLD at the lib , getting darker ..exiting summer.

Film Noir burrows into the mind; it's disorienting, intriguing and enthralling. Noir brings us into a gritty underworld of lush morbidity, providing intimate peeks at its tough, scheming dames, mischievous misfits and flawed men - all caught in the wicked web of a twisted fate. Written by Anonymous

The Magnificent Seven

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047/

A bandit terrorizes a small Mexican farming village each year. Several of the village elders send three of the farmers into the United States to search for gunmen to defend them. They end up with seven, each of whom comes for a different reason. They must prepare the town to repulse an army of thirty bandits who will arrive wanting food.
    —John Vogel <[email protected]>

cinematography , color, sharpness very good. acting variable. best element was The Magnificent Seven Theme ,written by Elmer Bernstein

all the Mexicans were in completely white linen costumes and never got dirty, no matter what they did.

oh my..this trailer is cornball

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047...?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Shallow?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047/

A bandit terrorizes a small Mexican farming village each year. Several of the village elders send three of the farmers into the United States to search for gunmen to defend them. They end up with seven, each of whom comes for a different reason. They must prepare the town to repulse an army of thirty bandits who will arrive wanting food.
    —John Vogel <[email protected]>

cinematography , color, sharpness very good. acting variable. best element was The Magnificent Seven Theme ,written by Elmer Bernstein

oh my..this trailer is cornball

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047...?ref_=tt_ov_vi
    Shallow DVD movie review?
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Shallow DVD movie review?
    what ? not shallow enough for you ?

I've seen this in many formats

saw in theater in 1979 , TV , Beta, Vhs , LD, DVD and now blu-ray.

I'm reviewing the 3rd version, 3rd disk, the "Final Cut" 40th aniv. ed.
    this is a completely remastered , re-edited "last" ?

it comes in a 6 disk set ...
    Disc 1 Final Cut 4k UHD ,
    Disc 2 Original and Redux 4k UHD,
    Disc 3 Final Cut Blu-Ray ,
    Disc 4 Original and Redux Blu-Ray,
    Disc 5 Special Features Blu-Ray,
    Disc 6 Hearts of Darkness

my bd player would not recognize the 4k UHD disk , so it was disk 3 for me.

4K Negative Scan Reveals Depth and Detail
    This is the first time the original negative has been scanned, since all previous transfers have been made from an IP. Over 11 months, over 2,700 hours was spent cleaning and restoring the film’s 300,173 frames. The 4K scan, combined with Dolby’s HDR processing (Dolby Vision), has led to a level of depth and detail in Vittorio Storaro’s cinematography that audiences couldn’t see before.

This is particularly the case in the nighttime scenes. On a creative level, Coppola had to dial down the level of new detail: for example, he wanted to keep Marlon Brando’s Col. Kurtz in silhouette as much a possible.

Sound: The Found the Print Master
    For “Redux,” the best the sound team could do in 2001 was work off a third generation dub. For “Final Cut,” Mockoski and the film’s original sound designer Walter Murch were able to locate (it had been tossed in a dumpster) one of the 1979 film’s original six track print masters. This gave the “Final Cut” team the ability to create significantly clearer sound, but it also meant being able to go inside sound designer Murch’s revolutionary work and adapt it to the modern tools of post-production and in theaters.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/ap...on-1202129340/

there is a whole disk of extras ... the sound & vid remastering was interesting ... Meyer sound was in on the audio redo.

John Meyer himself used to install special subwoofers for 70mm screenings of “Apocalypse Now” in 1979. Meyer helped “Apocalypse Now” push the boundary of low frequency, but there were technical limits of how far they could go.

With access to the print master and new sound technology, Meyer worked with Horner and Coppola to finally reach those low frequencies that they couldn’t in 1979. In “Final Cut,” the low frequencies are detectable in the helicopter battle scene with Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore (Robert Duvall). The sound has a visceral effect during the war scenes.

of course, this is one disk that I had to turn on the Velodyne for ... did notice vid details that seemed new.

I was amazed by how reasonable the price was for a 6 disk (+vudu , appl play) was
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apocalyps...581238&veh=sem

Sound: The Found the Print Master
    For “Redux,” the best the sound team could do in 2001 was work off a third generation dub. For “Final Cut,” Mockoski and the film’s original sound designer Walter Murch were able to locate (it had been tossed in a dumpster) one of the 1979 film’s original six track print masters. This gave the “Final Cut” team the ability to create significantly clearer sound, but it also meant being able to go inside sound designer Murch’s revolutionary work and adapt it to the modern tools of post-production ....

How I Tried to Transplant the Musical Heart of Apocalypse Now

Oscar-winning editor Walter Murch describes the surprising idiosyncrasies of film scoring.

http://nautil.us/issue/30/identity/h...apocalypse-now

Which one is shallow?

what ? not shallow enough for you ?
    Didn't you recognize what i asked?
    Is the DVD movie shallow
    or
    Is the review shallow?
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Thread Information