Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Shallow DVD movie review-the JBL-a/d/s sound

Mike Nichols told the same story about the song in one of his final interviews. Simon's original subject for the song was Eleanor Roosevelt ("And here's to you, Mrs. Roosevelt...") so he didn't think it would work in the movie. But as soon as Nichols heard the only completed stanza he insisted that they change the name to Robinson and use it in the movie. The reason you hear it over and over again in the film as a guitar riff without lyrics is indeed because Simon had only written one verse.

All one man's opinion, of course. And this man is movie crazy, more than most.

I hadn't been to the DVD rental/used for sale store in a while. Stopped in today. Have looked for Potemkin for a long time, and then find for a quarter ?

all in nearly perfect condition.

Wicker Man is quite a film too
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/

OKAY, have seen this many times over the years, in good conditions and bad , but this is the first time on bluray in my own HT.
    We all know the story and have most likely watched it loaded...just for the light show. The 2007 transfer is first rate and I powered on the sub for this one.

Kubrick got many future things right and considering that there were no space pics of the world yet in '68, everything looked fine. Nothing in the film to really date it to 49 years old.

Lots of extras on the disk, some rather interesting. They noted that Kubrick never gave directing orders straight to the actors, conversations were relayed in both directions through an assistant.
    He was a control freak and every aspect of the film was his decision.

I wish the ending was a little more clear, but would still rate it 10 of 10.

The classical score was beautiful and refreshing.

this was the 149 min (theatrical release)

One of the best movies ever made, I saw it 13 times at the Seattle Cinerama. I wish I could replicate the experience at home. To paraphrase Chief Brody in Jaws: "I'm going to need a bigger screen".

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    One of the best movies ever made, I saw it 13 times at the Seattle Cinerama. I wish I could replicate the experience at home. To paraphrase Chief Brody in Jaws: "I'm going to need a bigger screen".

Ed
    I think the worst viewing of it that I had was in the base theater (in mono) at Bremerton ... soft focus and poor acoustics, plus I had to wear a coat since it was cold in there in January.

It shows very well on my 4k UHD upscaling monitor.

I did notice in the poster (2 posts above) that it is rated "T" (TRIPPY) - "All open minds admitted"

new center for HT ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post409759

Far out
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

The Beatles - The 4 Complete Ed Sullivan Shows

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sull.../dp/B003TJ4YU6

Unrealized hopes. DVD's contained EVERYTHING on the ES show (including commercials)
    Don't know about being "remastered". IF so, things must have really been terrible UNremastered.

things I learned:
    ED was a crappy host/showman (tho he could have been a double for Nixon)
    Show was filled with FLUFF/FILLER
    Poppo Gigio was not a real mouse.
    Beatles were not very good LIVE
    ED's studio was poor acoustically.
    show from a Florida racetrack was a mistake. Poor acoustics, cramped stage - Beatles were bumping into each other.
    The Beatles backdrops in ED's studio were great and memorable, best thing in the disks.
    John played organ on one cut.
    George looked scrawny and nervous.
    Paul could have played a VULCAN on Star trek.
    On "Yesterday" , Paul sang to the records instrumental accompaniment.
    Ringo just did his thang, and did it well.

anyone looking for high quality entertainment, look elsewhere ...

When the Beatles stepped onto Sullivan's New York stage on Sunday, February 9, 1964 to make their American TV debut, 86 percent of all TVs on at that hour tuned in. The Beatles appeared on the Sullivan show four times and presented here are those uncut shows, including not only all of the other performances, but also all of the original commercials. Newly remastered also includes an interview between Ed Sullivan and the Beatles, additional footage, and more.

recently I picked up a US first edition of "Moby Dick" http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post411208

and decided to reserve the DVD .. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049513/

Greg Peck did a fine job, tho he was too young for the role. special effects (rubber whale) was OK in some shots, a joke in others. Starbucks coffee snagged the name from the character "Starbuck"
    IMHO ... the storyline was copied and used for "Run silent, Run Deep" ... Clark Gable just played a
    WW2 version of Capt. Ahab. remastered color & sound OK. accents were difficult to understand.

In researching MD, I came across the modern remake by Ron Howard , In the Heart of the Sea (2015) .
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1390411/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    While technically much better , it was the story of Melville getting the story from the only survivor of The Essex. About half the film was concerned with their survival on an island. Chris Hemsworth did a fine job , as per usual.

The phrase "Nantucket sleigh ride" is of the whale boat riding behind a whale as it's pulled along after harpooning.

I'd rate both at 8 of 10. Now I've got to find time to read the book.

In the winter of 1820, the New England whaling ship Essex was assaulted by something no one could believe: a whale of mammoth size and will, and an almost human sense of vengeance. The real-life maritime disaster would inspire Herman Melville's Moby-Dick. But that told only half the story. "In the Heart of the Sea" reveals the encounter's harrowing aftermath, as the ship's surviving crew is pushed to their limits and forced to do the unthinkable to stay alive. Braving storms, starvation, panic and despair, the men will call into question their deepest beliefs, from the value of their lives to the morality of their trade, as their captain searches for direction on the open sea and his first mate still seeks to bring the great whale down.

I picked up a blu-ray at the library of "The Titanic" , turned out to be a 4 hour ITC-UK drama
    of the sinking and personal stories.

Being BD, there was plenty of room for extras. There was 1 fact that surprised me.

Here is a pic from The Smithsonian that ignores that fact and is wrong/impossible.

Can you spot it ???

let's sea ...

So after my Moby Dick fascination, I picked up a first edition of "The Caine Mutiny" . Had to check the movie, tho I'd seen it long ago. Bogie = VG

Then followed up with "Mutiny on the Bounty" , 1935 version with Gable and Chas. Laughton. Fine acting, but b&w and poor continuity .

OK, so that one begat finding "Mutiny on the Bounty" 1962 with Brando. Enjoyed so much that I've viewed it
    3x this year. Marlon's daft Brit accent didn't cancel out the fine cinematography , beautiful scenery , great story and soundtrack.

So, I was at my favorite surplus grab-o-rama leaning on a cart of old shoes , looked down and found this. Didn't even know it existed. Everything was there, including the hardback book , in great condition.

even a frame-able picture.

I laid off doing these reviews when my viewing changed to netflix. Too many .

This is one that I borrowed on DVD and most likely not available online.

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)

I had no idea. Thought it might be a Western , partially right.

Storyline

From the time John J. Macreedy steps off the train in Black Rock, he feels a chill from the local residents. The town is only a speck on the map and few if any strangers ever come to the place. Macreedy himself is tight-lipped about the purpose of his trip and he finds that the hotel refuses him a room, the local garage refuses to rent him a car and the sheriff is a useless drunkard. It's apparent that the locals have something to hide but when he finally tells them that he is there to speak to a Japanese-American farmer named Kamoko, he touches a nerve so sensitive that he will spend the next 24 hours fighting for his life. Written by garykmcd

Spencer Tracy
    Robert Ryan
    Anne Francis
    Dean Jagger
    Walter Brennan
    Ernest Borgnine
    Lee Marvin

high powered cast, beautifully filmed, rather simple story

Nominated for 3 Oscars. Another 3 wins & 5 nominations.

In terms of taut drama. Black Rock writes the book. Hitchcock, busy with Dial M For Murder at the time, must have smarted when he saw this nerve-shredding masterpiece

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...k-rock/review/

trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17nCYAayWMQ

SW rates it 8 of 10 stars.

Been so much on Netflix that I've forgotten the little shiny disks

2 days ago a "media table" came out at "Digg-o-Rama" and I noticed an old fave
    on top. "High Noon" on bd. Grabbed it up, always wanted a copy.

An older friend was there too and agreed that was a great movie, but said
    "I'd never watch it again" ..puzzled, I asked why

Oh, because I can't watch B&W movies.

On the way home, stopped at the "Game's/cheap DVD's" store. For my buck,
    walked out with a pristine DVD of "In Like Flint" ..another fave

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I picked up a blu-ray at the library of "The Titanic" , turned out to be a 4 hour ITC-UK drama
    of the sinking and personal stories.

Being BD, there was plenty of room for extras. There was 1 fact that surprised me.

Here is a pic from The Smithsonian that ignores that fact and is wrong/impossible.

Can you spot it ???
    Doing a little catching up myself, I just saw this post. Sure, Titanic's fourth funnel was a dummy. Competition was fierce between companies for the North Atlantic passenger trade, and the number of funnels implied speed. Titanic and her sister White Star line ships were visually trying to impress re the Cunard lines' faster Mauretania, Aquitania and Lusitania. Here is the Mauretania, which held the speed record for twenty years.

Name:  Mauretania.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  340.6 KB

In the trivia department, here's a little-seen photograph of Titanic lifeboats alongside the Carpathia, the only vessel to rescue survivors.

Name:  A truly historic photo showing lifeboats of Titanic survivors being rescued by the R.M.S. Carpat.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  45.3 KB

A sister ship of the Mauretania, the Lusitania, was even less fortunate than the Titanic. Struck by a torpedo, she took on an immediate severe list and few lifeboats could be launched. She sank in only eighteen minutes.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Doing a little catching up myself, I just saw this post. Sure, Titanic's fourth funnel was a dummy. Competition was fierce between companies for the North Atlantic passenger trade, and the number of funnels implied speed.
    I should have know that Clark would know the answer about the 4th funnel. It was such a dummy that they stored the guests pets in there.

Thread Information