Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Shallow DVD movie review-the JBL-a/d/s sound

OKAY - a test to see if anyone is reading.

watched a DVD movie yesterday, it starred

Martin Sheen
    Vic Morrow
    Michelle Phillips
    Stuart Margolin
    Nick Nolte

can anyone come up with the title without The WEB ?

hint: I'd give it a 2 STARs rating
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stones_in_the_Park
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolli...park-1969-dvd/

very good concert DVD ..just before Woodstock and right after the death of Brian Jones. fine performances, sound and cinematography. Mick looked a bit daft in lipstick and a Romeo shirt/skirt, but was in fine form. In some shots he had a demonic look .. he wasn't just "phoning it in"
    69,70, 71 and 72 were prolixly their prime years and this DVD really shows it off

8 of 10
    From The Vault - L.A. Forum (Live In 1975)

http://www.amazon.com/From-The-Vault...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I'm a Stones fan , but this was just above mediocre. With Mick in his red ballet shoes, I initially thought he was on SPEED , then revised that to LSD , but he was chugging JD too ... dunno, maybe he was on all three ?

Sparklers, 5 pounds of makeup, throwing buckets of water on the crowd , manic performance ... what a tosser.

This doesn't have nearly the entertainment of Hyde Park '69 . I thought "Sympathy" might save it, but no ..ended up FF'ing thru most of the poor track selection. 4 of 10

Frost/Nixon (2008)

much better than I expected. A ron Howard movie.

Was a little putoff with Frank Langella (who I do enjoy) portraying Nixon, but I think he pulled it off.
    Conversely, the fellow playing Frost made him look like a twit, don't know if that was intentional ?

Message Boards
    Frost/Nixon (2008) : Frost comes out very badly
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870111/...1?ref_=tt_bd_5

good clip ==>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFHYiOfBRng

trailer ==>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Axo80kr9DM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870111/

Storyline

Writer Peter Morgan's legendary battle between Richard Nixon, the disgraced president with a legacy to save, and David Frost, a jet-setting television personality with a name to make, in the story of the historic encounter that changed both their lives. For three years after being forced from office, Nixon remained silent. But in summer 1977, the steely, cunning former commander-in-chief agreed to sit for one all-inclusive interview to confront the questions of his time in office and the Watergate scandal that ended his presidency. Nixon surprised everyone in selecting Frost as his televised confessor, intending to easily outfox the breezy British showman and secure a place in the hearts and minds of Americans (as well as a $600,000 fee). Likewise, Frost's team harbored doubts about their boss' ability to hold his own. But as cameras rolled, a charged battle of wits resulted. Written by alfiehitchie

SW's rating ? 8.5/10

Run Silent Run Deep (1958)

Don't quite understand how it is that I haven't seen this before ? it's somewhat
    the blueprint for one of my faves ... Crimson Tide.

CO & XO butting heads during tense combat moments.

Storyline

The captain of a submarine sunk by the Japanese during WWII is finally given a chance to skipper another sub after a year of working a desk job. His singleminded determination for revenge against the destroyer that sunk his previous vessel puts his new crew in unneccessary danger. Written by Kevin Ackley

for 1958 vintage it's well done and Gable & Lancaster could not have been much better . 9 of 10
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I generally enjoy classic films,

RSRD had a fine performance by Bert Lancaster and so I watched one of his other biggies.

From Here to Eternity (1953)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045793/

realizing that it's a classic , guess a lot was expected. NOT realized for me. Once was enough. 6 of 10.

In the extras section it was mentioned that Sinatra's career was stagnant at that point and he begged to be in the film, and was let in, but for minimum pay.

Storyline

It's 1941. Robert E. Lee Prewitt has requested Army transfer and has ended up at Schofield in Hawaii. His new captain, Dana Holmes, has heard of his boxing prowess and is keen to get him to represent the company. However, 'Prew' is adamant that he doesn't box anymore, so Captain Holmes gets his subordinates to make his life a living hell. Meanwhile Sergeant Warden starts seeing the captain's wife, who has a history of seeking external relief from a troubled marriage. Prew's friend Maggio has a few altercations with the sadistic stockade Sergeant 'Fatso' Judson, and Prew begins falling in love with social club employee Lorene. Unbeknownst to anyone, the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor looms in the distance. Written by Ed Sutton

Stopped in at the Game Store yesterday. Thats a place with lots of cheap DVD's.

There were about 300 in the dollar section, you have to browse bent over with your neck kricked sideways.
    Went through about 280 with no selections, then BINGO .... pulled these 4 , all in great shape = $4

2 Kubricks
    Attached Images Attached Images    

All Together Now (2008)

The story behind the partnership between The Beatles and Cirque du Soleil that resulted in the Las Vegas stage production of "LOVE."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305839/

Product Description
    "All Together Now" details the story behind the unique partnership between The Beatles and Cirque du Soleil that resulted in the creation and launch of LOVE," the stage production still wowing audiences in Las Vegas, and the double Grammy-winning album of the same name.

Bonus features include:

- Changing The Music (22:00): A behind-the scenes look at the decision-making process for the LOVE concept and music production.

- Music In The Theatre (07:00): A look at the process of creating the LOVE show s unique audio design.

- Making LOVE (09:00): A backstage pass to explore the design of LOVE, including the art direction, costumes, props, screen imagery and the use of The Beatles voices in the LOVE stage production and its soundtrack.
    From the Contributor
    TRACK LISTING DISC 1 1. The Beatles (& Cirque du Soleil) - All Together Now documentary (84:00) 2. Changing The Music (22:00): An in - depth look at the decision to rework and remix the Beatles music for the show 3. The Beatles (& Cirque du Soleil) - Music In The Theatre (09:00): A look at the process of creating the LOVE show's unique audio design in the theater 4. The Beatles (& Cirque du Soleil) - Making `LOVE' (10:00) A backstage pass to explore the design of "LOVE," including the art direction, costumes, props, screen imagery and the use of The Beatles' voices in the stage production and soundtrack

Don't know why, but I expected THE SHOW. It was instead a "making of" documentary. Enjoyed the processes , audio setups and interviews with George Martin & son , but the silly-assed costumes and acrobats did little for me.

Music sounded like it was made yesterday

http://www.amazon.com/All-Together-N.../dp/B0017QMRJS

The story behind the partnership between The Beatles and Cirque du Soleil that resulted in the Las Vegas stage production of "LOVE."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305839/

Product Description
    "All Together Now" details the story behind the unique partnership between The Beatles and Cirque du Soleil that resulted in the creation and launch of LOVE," the stage production still wowing audiences in Las Vegas, and the double Grammy-winning album of the same name.

Bonus features include:

- Changing The Music (22:00): A behind-the scenes look at the decision-making process for the LOVE concept and music production.

- Music In The Theatre (07:00): A look at the process of creating the LOVE show s unique audio design.

- Making LOVE (09:00): A backstage pass to explore the design of LOVE, including the art direction, costumes, props, screen imagery and the use of The Beatles voices in the LOVE stage production and its soundtrack.
    From the Contributor
    TRACK LISTING DISC 1 1. The Beatles (& Cirque du Soleil) - All Together Now documentary (84:00) 2. Changing The Music (22:00): An in - depth look at the decision to rework and remix the Beatles music for the show 3. The Beatles (& Cirque du Soleil) - Music In The Theatre (09:00): A look at the process of creating the LOVE show's unique audio design in the theater 4. The Beatles (& Cirque du Soleil) - Making `LOVE' (10:00) A backstage pass to explore the design of "LOVE," including the art direction, costumes, props, screen imagery and the use of The Beatles' voices in the stage production and soundtrack

Don't know why, but I expected THE SHOW. It was instead a "making of" documentary. Enjoyed the processes , audio setups and interviews with George Martin & son , but the silly-assed costumes and acrobats did little for me.

Music sounded like it was made yesterday

http://www.amazon.com/All-Together-N.../dp/B0017QMRJS
    If the silly-assed costumes and acrobats do little for you (they do nothing for me either) you should skip the show entirely and simply get the LOVE soundtrack CD that contains all the Beatle music mash-ups the Martins created for the show—that way you get the good stuff with none of the silly stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    If the silly-assed costumes and acrobats do little for you (they do nothing for me either) you should skip the show entirely and simply get the LOVE soundtrack CD that contains all the Beatle music mash-ups the Martins created for the show—that way you get the good stuff with none of the silly stuff.
    Absolutely - in 2 ch or the amazing multichannel version, the LOVE CD is a real audio treat.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    that way you get the good stuff
    The DVD-Audio (multichannel) is stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Absolutely - in 2 ch or the amazing multichannel version, the LOVE CD is a real audio treat.
    It is. I have the 2ch somewhere. Need to dig it out.

Never understood why "Love" sounds so much better than the remastered material , except maybe they are for different audiences/purposes and voiced thus ?

I did find it interesting that GM found a copy of "While my Guitar.." on some home recordings from Olivia to be superior to the studio versions and it was used instead.

I've reviewed it before , but ....

viewed BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN again yesterday. Made in 1925 , B&W , silent and propaganda , but very powerful. Only slightly related to my Canoe Club experiences.

Based on the historical events the movie tells the story of a riot at the battleship Potemkin. What started as a protest strike when the crew was given rotten meat for dinner ended in a riot. The sailors raised the red flag and tried to ignite the revolution in their home port Odessa. Written by Konstantin Dlutskii <[email protected]>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015648/

Battleship Potemkin was named the greatest film of all time at the Brussels World's Fair in 1958. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_Potemkin

Act IV: The Odessa Steps

The best known sequence of the film is set on the Odessa steps, connecting the waterfront with the central city. A detachment of dismounted Cossacks forms a line at the top of the steps and march towards a crowd of unarmed civilians including women and children. The soldiers halt to fire a volley into the crowd and then continue their impersonal, machine-like advance. Brief sequences show individuals amongst the people fleeing or falling, a baby's pram running down the steps, a woman shot in the face, broken spectacles and the high boots of the soldiers moving in unison.

In retaliation, the sailors of the Potemkin decide to fire on a military headquarters with the guns of the battleship. Meanwhile, there is news that a squadron of loyal warships is coming to quell the revolt of Potemkin

I found a tube vid of the Odessa Steps sequence , tho the score on the Kino DVD version is better ...
    a "dead" classic (pun intended )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laJ_1P-Py2k

I'm not much of a Tarantino fan, but watched "Jackie Brown" last night and thot it quite good. read the bio on Pam Grier, she's a month younger than me.

Sam Jackson is so annoying on those TV credit card commercials, that I'd forgotten that he was good "in his day" (this film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119396/

good for a 7 of 10

"Am I crazy for thinking this is Quentin's best flick ???"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119396/...4?ref_=tt_bd_6

tomorrow will make 3 consecutive days over 100 degrees.

Last Thanksgiving my son's family came for a visit , stayed in the extra bedroom. They were unimpressed with the 20 inch CRT TV in there, so .... last Xmas a 32inch flat screen showed up. I've enjoyed it and thought it must be time to upgrade my 26 inch CRT also , but couldn't.
    Can't dump it while it still worked fine. Fortunately the 16 y.o. set croaked earlier this month. finally time for a bit newer one.
    Did my due diligence/homework and got a nice smart 4K UHD set ... Dolby digital , DTS , quad core, web connected etc..etc.. What a difference.

So with this heat wave , figured it's time to stay in & install and reconfig the HT.

Today with the 102 reading outside, I put on "Mulholland Drive" inside, an old fave. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166924/ . The new set is sooo sharp that I'm seeing new detail. The films soundtrack is almost like another character in the story. Very moody , lots of deep bass.
    I have 2 ten inch subs, each a/d/s tower has twin 8's and the DefTech center has a powered 8 also. So 7 bass reproducers.

Great quirky David Lynch flick ,,,, an easy 10 of 10 , and the soundtrack rates equally well.

"After a car wreck on the winding Mulholland Drive renders a woman amnesiac, she and a perky Hollywood-hopeful search for clues and answers across Los Angeles in a twisting venture beyond dreams and reality"

Did my due diligence/homework and got a nice smart 4K UHD set ... Dolby digital , DTS , quad core, web connected etc..etc.. [/I]
    so I decided to check out the new system with the SKYFALL dvd. Everything was fine, except I noticed a slight mis-synch of audio to video image. Stuff like that bothers me.

Since there was a 16 foot component wire run from the source to the monitor, I figured that it was too long and causing the issue. had been contemplating for a while on moving the AVR and DVD player closer to the monitor.
    Decided that it's now the time to move stuff. Lots of issues ... had to make wires & cables. got it all done today and retried. Same mis-synch issue WTF.

So as a last resort I got to digging into the TV monitor settings. Even found an anti-virus app. (it runs downloadable apps) . so anyway , in expert audio settings, there is an adjustable delay setting. Default at 70ms. I thought "who needs any delay" ?? Set it at zero.

No joy, Stepped it up at 10ms per try. 50ms appears to be optimal.

Who would have believed that 10ms makes a noticeable change

Thread Information