Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Shallow DVD movie review-the JBL-a/d/s sound

Slacker (1991)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102943/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A day in the life of Austin, Texas as the camera roams from place to place and provides a brief look at the overeducated, the social misfits, the outcasts and the oddballs.

It was OKAY for half an hour , but EVERYBODY being a misfit or wacko just got grating. Finally gave up 3/10

Spartacus (1960)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054331/

Storyline

In 73 BCE, a Thracian slave leads a revolt at a gladiatorial school run by Lentulus Batiatus. The uprising soon spreads across the Italian Peninsula involving thousand of slaves. The plan is to acquire sufficient funds to acquire ships from Silesian pirates who could then transport them to other lands from Brandisium in the south.
    The Roman Senator Gracchus schemes to have Marcus Publius Glabrus, Commander of the garrison of Rome, lead an army against the slaves who are living on Vesuvius. When Glabrus is defeated his mentor, Senator and General Marcus Licinius Crassus is greatly embarrassed and leads his own army against the slaves. Spartacus and the thousands of freed slaves successfully make their way to Brandisium only to find that the Silesians have abandoned them. They then turn north and must face the might of Rome. Written by garykmcd

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Stars: Kirk Douglas, Laurence Olivier, Jean Simmons

The role of a lifetime for Kirk and he took advantage of it ... superb.
    Should have won Best Pic ...LO & JS fantastic too.

Saw this long ago , it still holds up , ending left me misty eyed.

Got to thinking ...Did Spartacus copy El Cid or was it the other way around ...almost same story. 10/10

Much Recommended.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

wacky VM reviews

most of the 2.3 LH members that actual and read my bicycles thread will know that I had shoulder surgery last ffriday and cannot type right now. using voice recognition and a microphone and if the looks of the 20, blame bill gates and not me.
    I watched top gear 21 and then it was funny and typical cop year. The finality was a crew crossing Burma and searchable river Kwai, they drove in large delivery Loris and the final task was to build a bamboo bridge across a river. Lieu of that victory it was an epic journey and quite enjoyable.

But I found an old nugget, airplane - that don't call me surely eddition. It had a lot of a heart aches and behind the scenes Packwood and hunt was signaled airplane. I'd give it a day and seven halftime of 10. All axiom that I have to do a lot of left hand and can. That I watched two seasons of the British SANDBAGGERS
    show. They send bankers. While we're finding and I agree that an eight out of 10. That's rather low budgets by the way the real harry polymer ovaries were.

And I walked three episodes of the four season of mission impossible, they were predictable a very entertaining. I greet them was six of 10.

Then I walked the old Hollywood epic, HollywoodLand. That's a story of the life and death of TV superman, George Reeves. A very good cast, very well done, better than expected from him halfway. Eight that have loved him.

But I started to want to hold favor, a book I enjoyed long ago, on the beach. That seemed to be almost all Australian cast, but Armando assante to a of the texas accent was just a little too much as the submarine captain Allen got around to furnishings get, so no rating as of this time.

The pile of dvds to watch your saint I can't drive can do much of anything or left arm on the stack is a battle of Britain, you 571, 1941, inception, and Laurel Canyon.

gee, this VM stuff is great

more voice recog magic

I got to the end of on the beach, closing credits, and was disappointed and seem to be very incomplete.

The opening credits to normal, WT Health, and the story contended. Turns out it was a two part miniseries. The second port was much more emotional, and brought the two years for the eyes were intended.

That's a pretty good updating of the 1962 book and except for having Armando slumped a head an American submarine captain, but was terrible and aspen, the movie was for ticket. I'd given to seven out of 10.

I then went on to the battle of Britain and if you like airplane airplane combat this is remotely. Online may complain about so many models being used for the movie, and I've often were pretty well done. OPS a big names from the British movie industry, but they really didn't have much to the story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064072/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

Why this voice recognition stuff just south of these men are diverted.

Battle of Britain night given eight out of 10, and was pretty well down.

While I guess I can give my old fingers a rest, vr and stuff is incredible. Whistling off

At least two excerpts are used by Pink Floyd in their "The Wall" album: Audio from Stuka diving during the attack to the radio station is used at the end of the first track, "In the Flesh?". The scene in which Simon is shot can be heard at the transition between the songs "Nobody Home" to "Vera". The phrase "Where the hell are you, Simon?", for example, is clearly recognizable at this point.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064072/...ef_=tt_trv_trv

the drunken Sailors shallow movie review guide.

Routing back to last two reviews, I've noticed than rousing accuracy of voice recognition.

The patterns and quality it produces reminds me of when when my ship would pull into Subic Bay and we would go into along to olongapo for night of drinking. After having as many San miguel's as a person could hold, crawling off to the nearest hotel, and negotiated with a manager didn't speak English, the quality is just about the Same. I think that all temporarily a rename this ballade, the drunken Sailors movie review guide.

So last night I watched the Cincinnati kid. That's a big name cast and Steve Mcqueen Edward G. Robinson ann Margaret Karl Malden and Tuesday weld. For 1965 film that's very well done, obviously a big budget. The millers story, new contender challenging the old pro.
    That such a classic but I don't know how I avoided it so long. I would rate it at 8 1/2 out of 10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059037/

At the library yesterday I also grabbed Capitan Phillips, . And we'll see if I can get through that today.

it looks like me and Mr. Mike (he's an Altec) are getting along a little bit better and this is a bit more readable.
    Looks also like if I can ever get trained, voice recognition may be more viable.

Anyone remember "The Last Run", w/ George C. Scott? An edgy tale of criminal skullduggey. Love the supercharged BMW.

SPOILER ALERT: NO CGI. REAL ACTORS. GOOD CONTENT
    Last edited by Doctor_Electron; 02-19-2015 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Erronious content, correction.

I just couldn't get into captain Phillips today. So instead I went for one that I've been wanting to watch for a while.
    I did watch one called final countdown (i originally wrote "final destination"). It's about the silliest concept for a movie that's possible. But USS Nimitz sailing just off Hawaii goes through some kind of time vortex and thus is transported back to December 6th 1941.

They detect the Japanese fleet approaching Hawaii and are in a quandary of what to do about it. their ship can take on the entire Japanese fleet but becomes classic time travel problem movie.

the DVD hung up right before the ending and I had to go to the web to see how it turned out.

Although it has a lot of stars in the cast including Kirk Douglas it was really a b-grade movie. Well filmed and brought back memories of my carrier time.

I tried running it on different players but it hung up about 10 minutes from the end. So I've gone online to the library and put a hold on the other copy to see if I can finish the movie.
    I'm trying voice recognition this time on the fondleslab and editing correcting is more difficult.

So maybe you will read this before I can go back and do some corrections with the PC on a bigger screen. in the meantime final destination is an interesting concept but a strange movie.
    I would rate it at 7 out of 10

(edited for readability and fix name problem that dr. e spotted)

Seawolf, it was "The Final Countdown". Well worth watching.

The Navy radio operator's reply to the big-shot senator is classic.

"I suggest, *ssh*le, you quit imitating some other *ssh*le, and get off this frequency !

(or very similar).

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    Anyone remember "The Last Run", w/ George C. Scott? An edgy tale of criminal skullduggey. Love the supercharged BMW.

no, but i'll try to track it down.

-just a tad later-
    found it at the lib and have a hold on it now.

Dr. E ...thot you mite notice the ref to Po City a few posts back - 154 ??

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

Dr. E ...thot you mite notice the ref to Po City a few posts back - 154 ??
    Yes and I must admit I got shwacked there more than once, I miss that REAL San Miguel !

Captain Phillips (2013)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535109/

ok, on an enjoyment rating this is a 1 of 10 for me. don't think I'll ever be a fan of Somali pirates ..

the USN is the good guys again*, but i don't mind. the Navy Seals are the pros and I'm great with all the props they get. they saved me twice during my Asian adventure , (once in a paddy, and once from the green beanies - (a story for another time))

hanks was good as a somewhat ineffectual guy. insanity not to arm commercial ships.

wouldn't watch 2x. i think over rated. high point was the 3 SomPi's getting nailed.

'The true story of Captain Richard Phillips and the 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates of the US-flagged MV Maersk Alabama, the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in two hundred years."

overall rated 5/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535109/...ef_=tt_trv_trv

In real life, Richard Phillips never offered the pirates to take or shoot him instead of his crew. He was held in the lifeboat for five days and was psychologically tortured by the pirates who even conducted mock executions with him as the victim. He never got any pen or paper during his captivity in the lifeboat and never tried to write a farewell note to his family. He didn't ask to go outside to urinate before attempting his escape. He saw from his seat one of the pirates urinating outside and used that opportunity to jump the lifeboat. His reaction of absolute shock after being rescued by the SEAL team never happened in real life. He was hit by what happened only after he tried to go to sleep for the first time after being rescued

counterpoint.

Crew members: ‘Captain Phillips’ is one big lie

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/crew-me...llips-heroism/

* i really like the fact that the USN's current catch line is "A Global Force for Good"

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I did watch one called final countdown (i originally wrote "final destination"). It's about the silliest concept for a movie that's possible. But USS Nimitz sailing just off Hawaii goes through some kind of time vortex and thus is transported back to December 6th 1941.

They detect the Japanese fleet approaching Hawaii and are in a quandary of what to do about it. their ship can take on the entire Japanese fleet but becomes classic time travel problem movie.

the DVD hung up right before the ending and I had to go to the web to see how it turned out.

I tried running it on different players but it hung up about 10 minutes from the end. So I've gone online to the library and put a hold on the other copy to see if I can finish the movie.
    despite the spectacular success of voice recog, my right arm is mobile again so that I can type with 2 hands, and this post s/b a little more ...

the lib came through with copy of FC and I got to view the ending. It was so hokey that I'm going to deduct a half point from the previous rating.

Did pickup the DVD's of "le Mans" (Steve McQueen) , The Villain and Julius Caesar. Hopefully back to riding next week.

Le Mans (1971)

• Almost in breadth and depth of a documentary, this movie depicts an auto race during the 70s on the world's hardest endurance course: Le Mans in France. The race goes over 24 hours on 14.5 kilometers of cordoned country road. Every few hours the two drivers per car alternate - but it's still a challenge for concentration and material. In the focus is the duel between the German Stahler in Ferrari 512LM and the American Delaney in Gulf Team Porsche 917. Delaney is under extraordinary pressure, because the year before he caused a severe accident, in which his friend Lisa's husband was killed.

- Written by Tom Zoerner <[email protected]>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067334/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

In the extras, McQueens son mentions that the filming was done before there was a script. It showed.

The cinematography was very good , the soundtrack was pitiful , the Porsche 917's battling the Ferrari 512's was the best part. Acting ? well, there wasn't much. dunno if they ever developed a script ..

Glad I watched it ONCE. Ron Howards "RUSH" is still the superior racing film , but he had a great script and modern photography .... 7.5/10

Also tried Julius Caeser ... poor quality vid & sound combined with Shakespeare dialogue made it too much work for the payoff .... made 20 minutes.

Tried "The Villain" ....made in the vein of BLAZING SADDLES, but NOT funny. 15 minutes then done.

xtra: I have a nice cast model of the GULF 917 (blue & orange) from the movie.

When I belonged to the Porsche Club_of America , went to a banquet and sat next to Monte Shelton. He's the local Jag dealer and Porsche racer. I had read that he had a 917 and asked him about it. He replied " yeah, I bought it as an actual basket case for 10k in the 80's and had it rebuilt. Sold it before it became valuable" I asked how much he got for it ?? 100k.
    He said now they got for 1M+.

6 day

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post

Got/viewed it. Fun. I like GCS , but in the end felt empty, like there wasn't much story there.

The opening driving scene, I thought was Hiway 1 going South of Big Sur ..wrong continent. Also thought it was an Alfa , but yeah ..a BMW (though seemed to blow a cylinder after some hard driving)
    6/10

Rewatched "The Life of Brian" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 . Guess my tastes have changed a bit. Didn't seem as funny as it did 20 years ago. Pretty standard Monty Python fare. 6/10

also grabbed THE GETAWAY ...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068638/ It was Peckenpaw standard mush. Seemed below McQueens abilities, and showed off Ali MacGraw's lack of acting talent (tho she was cute) ... Slim Pickens 2-3 minutes of screen time was best acting in the whole film 6/10

My better half is NVN . She grabbed a Chinese melodrama/soap "The Diamond Family" .. a direct ripoff of TV's "Dallas". Well filmed/acted , but with lame ending. I watched with her (the whole 36 hours ... wish I could get that time back tho we made a picnic out of the viewing experience)
    It was dubbed in Vietnamese and I guess it triggered off old USN training ( attended 47 weeks school in that language - Monterrey 1968) and could actually understand 10-20%. 6/10

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Is that really you in the new avatar, Seawolf?

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    Is that really you in the new avatar, Seawolf?

sure is ...

Thread Information