Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shallow DVD movie review-the JBL-a/d/s sound

Shallow DVD movie review-the JBL-a/d/s sound

the gear: Denon AVR-2105 7.1 receiver , cheap Philips DVD player (that plays avi's & mpegs too) , JBL L7 mains, JBL swoopy unnumbered center , JBL PS-100 sub , ADS L100 surrounds, 26 inch TV.

the DVD Movie:
    North by Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock) score by Bernard Herrmann ...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053125/
    recently remastered.

now I can upload tons of wacky waterfalls of the soundtrack and random screen shots to reinforce my opinions.

Oh wait !! darn..I dont have any waterfalls & screen shots to post...will just do the poster shot.

The Analysis: Great flick !! one of my favs ....frequency response is nothing special, but the score ? BH did an outstanding job, dont think there is a possible better one. The score melded with the screen action and added very much to the environ of the scenes. ...this remastered version looks and sounds like it was produced yesterday. ...casting was superb....Cary Grant was at the top of his career , EMS was beautiful and seductive , the mockups of the U.N. and Mt. Rushmore were believable ....and there was no fuggin CGI ..and it was a fine story....

highly recommended (SSR=5)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    And let's not forget that Eva Marie-Saint was especially hot at that time. *drool* *slurp* *pant*

Bravo - More DVD reviews by someone who cares about PLOT and SUBSTANCE!
    Kudos to you sir, I'm a big fan of your work!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    the gear: Denon AVR-2105 7.1 receiver , cheap Philips DVD player (that plays avi's & mpegs too) , JBL L7 mains, JBL swoopy unnumbered center , JBL PS-100 sub , ADS L100 surrounds, 26 inch TV.

the DVD Movie:
    North by Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock) score by Bernard Herrmann ...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053125/
    recently remastered.

The Analysis: Great flick !! one of my favs ....frequency response is nothing special, but the score ? allright , BH did an outstanding job, dont think there is a possible better one. The score melded with the screen action and added very much to the environ of the scenes. ...this remastered version looks and sounds like it was produced yesterday. ...casting was superb....Cary Grant was at the top of his career , EMS was beautiful and seductive , the mockups of the U.N. and Mt. Rushmore were believable ....and there was no fuggin CGI ..and it was a fine story....

highly recommended
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Bravo - More DVD reviews by someone who cares about PLOT and SUBSTANCE! Kudos to you sir, I'm a big fan of your work!
    Wow ... 1 review & kudos already , mebbe I missed my calling ? Was it shallow enuff ?

NEXT UP: Crimson Tide

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    And let's not forget that Eva Marie-Saint was especially hot at that time. *drool* *slurp* *pant*

EMS - for all those who dont know the name... (AH picked some nice leading ladies )

Since Ashley's thread reviews soundtracks and this thread reviews motion pictures, I have no problem with either. And I am sure there is room for both.

There is way too much room IMO for the industry to produce hugely expensive CGI/star/deal driven films where competent camera cinematography is absent and where someone forgot how to write a script - or like Episode II where they forgot to write one at all. Episode II also included one of the worst lead performances in history. On the job training is over rated on film lots.

While no one loves great film more than I do, sometimes a certain Brit noting in one terse aside that viewing a particular film represents time we will never unfortunately ever get back tickles me more than a learned review!

I saw NBNW in first release. In hindsight it was the first film I ever saw than combined what would become Indiana Jones/James bond style elements. Hitchcock did us all proud. And yes, he sure knew a beautiful actress when he saw one.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Since Ashley's thread reviews soundtracks and this thread reviews motion pictures, I have no problem with either. And I am sure there is room for both.
    Clark
    Well that part is right? It’s also a bit too crowed at the moment. I might have to toss out a few wacky random waterfalls to make room.

Well there are few waterfalls on North By Northwest up now. What you didn’t think I like classic Hitch?

#2 Crimson Tide

the gear: same as post 1

the DVD Movie: Crimson Tide (1995)...Gene Hackman & Denzel Washington http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112740/ score by Hans Zimmer

The Analysis: In many ways its a standard Simpson/Bruckheimer flick ..in the vein of "Top Gun"...

what is good :

story (lots of tension/suspense) ...Nuclear sub..receives orders to let nuke missiles fly on Russian base that has been captured by rebels..2nd message comes in - fragmented , XO has his doubts whether to launch or not...CO & XO conflict over which orders to follow until they can surface and get clariification , but they cant do that as a Russian sub is nearby

acting: both Hackman & Washington are at the top of their game

soundtrack: dark spooky , lots of sub groans , think it won more awards for ST than any other categories

a memorable "what if" movie..well acted with fine score and cinematography ...only a little CGI

the bad: lots of contrivances to make the story work ..CGI

recommended esp if you like military thrillers
    (SSR=4.5)

#3 Candy

the DVD Movie: -Candy- 1968 mono ..cast Marlon Brando, Richard Burton, James Coburn, John Huston, Walter Matthau , Ringo Starr , Sugar Ray Robinson , John Astin & Ewa Aulin as Candy
    Soundtrack: the Byrds, Steppenwolf

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062776/

Quintessential 60's comedy. Beautiful blond airhead hi-schooler , is continually "compromised" as she bounces from situation to situation in a quest to find her Daddy. additional plot is too ridiculous to repeat here.

Ringo as a Mexican gardener is funny, but Coburn steals the movie as a brain surgeon/bullfighter

The Analysis:
    recommended if you like corny 60's "R" rated comedies
    (SSR=3.5)

... MACphisto! His great undying NEED!
    John Astin ... daddy??
    Brando as the hung guru ... no, not like that!
    yeah, what a wacky hoot ...

If you like that, hunt down "The Magic Christian"
    ... soundtrack by Badfinger
    Ringo with Peter Sellers, and a cast of thousands ...
    Rachel Welch as the whipmaster ... oh, god!

the DVD Movie: -Candy- 1968 mono ..cast Marlon Brando, Richard Burton, James Coburn, John Huston, Walter Matthau , Ringo Starr , Sugar Ray Robinson , John Astin & Ewa Aulin as Candy
    Soundtrack: the Byrds, Steppenwolf

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062776/

Quintessential 60's comedy. Beautiful blond airhead hi-schooler , is continually "compromised" as she bounces from situation to situation in a quest to find her Daddy. additional plot is too ridiculous to repeat here.

Ringo as a Mexican gardener is funny, but Coburn steals the movie as a brain surgeon/bullfighter

The Analysis:
    recommended if you like corny 60's "R" rated comedies
    (SSR=3.5)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    yeah, what a wacky hoot ..
    All that and more ....I'm a James Coburn fan and his episode as the brain surgeon was great , so fine that I dug out "In like Flint" and viewed yesterday , "Our Man Flint" when I have the time and trying to find "Waterhole #3" .....even as he was old & arthritic in "Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid" ...still had a real screen presence ...PG & BTK also had Kris Kristopherson with Bob Dylan doing a small part + most of the soundtrack.

"An actor as the President " ??

Which reminds me that its been a long time since I watched "The Presidents Analyst" ....once called one of the most subversive mainstream movies ever made.

The Presidents Analyst

Yes! That was one strange movie, I loved it, I still hate the phone company!
    I just put it in my Netflix queue.

JBL 4645
    All that and more ....I'm a James Coburn fan
    Tom

Maybe you can figure out the title of (James Coburn) film I think it was early 1970’s and haven’t clue of the title even thou I’ve seen it some two or three times.

It’s where he plays character that has other people killed and one of them made a sonic sound device that killed the inventor and the story film ended with poison letter at an airport. I don’t know if it was espionage spy film?

I wouldn’t mind getting this on Bluray.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    Yes! That was one strange movie, I loved it, I still hate the phone company!
    I just put it in my Netflix queue.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062153/

Its kinda funny...last time we were in Hawaii, the "Presidents Analyst" popped into my head when I saw that the bus company was named "The Bus Company" , gas came from "The Gas Company"...etc.

The President's Analyst (1967)

At first, Dr. Sidney Schaefer feels honored and thrilled to be offered the job of the President's Analyst. But then the stress of the job and the paranoid spies that come with a sensitive government position get to him, and he runs away. Now spies from all over the world are after him, either to get him for their own side or to kill him and prevent someone else from getting him.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Tom

Maybe you can figure out the title of (James Coburn) film I think it was early 1970’s and haven’t clue of the title even thou I’ve seen it some two or three times.

It’s where he plays character that has other people killed and one of them made a sonic sound device that killed the inventor and the story film ended with poison letter at an airport. I don’t know if it was espionage spy film?

I wouldn’t mind getting this on Bluray.
    not sure...but IMDB.com is the best resource there is

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000336/

JBL 4645
    not sure...but IMDB.com is the best resource there is

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000336/
    BINGO! This sounds like it!

The Internecine Project
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071663/

Plot: Former secret agent Robert Elliot (Coburn) will be promoted to government advisor. In order to make sure no-one will ever know about his dirty past…

Yeah this is most defiantly it. It’s the one with the sonic sound device it in. that’s what I liked about this movie. It’s tense thriller with twist at the end.

W/S 1.85:1
    Mono
    89 minutes
    Hemisphere Pictures

Well its on region 2 DVD Bugger Amazon forest they are charging £1.00 pound more!

I think I’ll get it from Play247.com next week. Only £11.80 free delivery.

Three Days of the Condor 1975

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073802/

cast: Robert Redford , Faye Dunaway , Cliff Robertson , Max von Sydow

plot (from IMDB): A man named Turner works for the CIA reading books and postulating possible scenarios that could be applied to intelligence work. He goes out to get lunch but when he returns everyone at the center has been killed. He calls his superior and asks for someone to bring him in, he tells him that his section chief will get him but when he arrives, the man tries to shoot him, he manages to shoot back and escape. In an act of desperation, the abducts a woman and forces her to shelter him until he can figure out what is going on. When someone goes to the woman's house and tries to kill him, he kills the man and discovers that he has a connection to the CIA, which means that someone in the CIA is behind the attempt on him. Written by [email protected]

sound: mono

analysis: Mebbe Redford (& Dunaway's) best work...believable acting ...1975 story is still germane today ....CIA meddling in the Middle East about OIL....Faye was over the top gorgeous in this one.
    Sydney Pollack direction, he does fine work.

SSR=5.+

Thread Information