Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Shallow DVD movie review-the JBL-a/d/s sound

Mike Nichols told the same story about the song in one of his final interviews. Simon's original subject for the song was Eleanor Roosevelt ("And here's to you, Mrs. Roosevelt...") so he didn't think it would work in the movie. But as soon as Nichols heard the only completed stanza he insisted that they change the name to Robinson and use it in the movie. The reason you hear it over and over again in the film as a guitar riff without lyrics is indeed because Simon had only written one verse.

All one man's opinion, of course. And this man is movie crazy, more than most.

I hadn't been to the DVD rental/used for sale store in a while. Stopped in today. Have looked for Potemkin for a long time, and then find for a quarter ?

all in nearly perfect condition.

Wicker Man is quite a film too
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/

OKAY, have seen this many times over the years, in good conditions and bad , but this is the first time on bluray in my own HT.
    We all know the story and have most likely watched it loaded...just for the light show. The 2007 transfer is first rate and I powered on the sub for this one.

Kubrick got many future things right and considering that there were no space pics of the world yet in '68, everything looked fine. Nothing in the film to really date it to 49 years old.

Lots of extras on the disk, some rather interesting. They noted that Kubrick never gave directing orders straight to the actors, conversations were relayed in both directions through an assistant.
    He was a control freak and every aspect of the film was his decision.

I wish the ending was a little more clear, but would still rate it 10 of 10.

The classical score was beautiful and refreshing.

this was the 149 min (theatrical release)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

One of the best movies ever made, I saw it 13 times at the Seattle Cinerama. I wish I could replicate the experience at home. To paraphrase Chief Brody in Jaws: "I'm going to need a bigger screen".

Ed
    Sawdust is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    One of the best movies ever made, I saw it 13 times at the Seattle Cinerama. I wish I could replicate the experience at home. To paraphrase Chief Brody in Jaws: "I'm going to need a bigger screen".

Ed
    I think the worst viewing of it that I had was in the base theater (in mono) at Bremerton ... soft focus and poor acoustics, plus I had to wear a coat since it was cold in there in January.

It shows very well on my 4k UHD upscaling monitor.

I did notice in the poster (2 posts above) that it is rated "T" (TRIPPY) - "All open minds admitted"

new center for HT ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post409759

Far out
    Sawdust is my co-pilot

The Beatles - The 4 Complete Ed Sullivan Shows

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sull.../dp/B003TJ4YU6

Unrealized hopes. DVD's contained EVERYTHING on the ES show (including commercials)
    Don't know about being "remastered". IF so, things must have really been terrible UNremastered.

things I learned:
    ED was a crappy host/showman (tho he could have been a double for Nixon)
    Show was filled with FLUFF/FILLER
    Poppo Gigio was not a real mouse.
    Beatles were not very good LIVE
    ED's studio was poor acoustically.
    show from a Florida racetrack was a mistake. Poor acoustics, cramped stage - Beatles were bumping into each other.
    The Beatles backdrops in ED's studio were great and memorable, best thing in the disks.
    John played organ on one cut.
    George looked scrawny and nervous.
    Paul could have played a VULCAN on Star trek.
    On "Yesterday" , Paul sang to the records instrumental accompaniment.
    Ringo just did his thang, and did it well.

anyone looking for high quality entertainment, look elsewhere ...

When the Beatles stepped onto Sullivan's New York stage on Sunday, February 9, 1964 to make their American TV debut, 86 percent of all TVs on at that hour tuned in. The Beatles appeared on the Sullivan show four times and presented here are those uncut shows, including not only all of the other performances, but also all of the original commercials. Newly remastered also includes an interview between Ed Sullivan and the Beatles, additional footage, and more.

Thread Information