Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would large home amps drive small (3678) cinema speakers?

JBL 4645

Quote Originally Posted by rlsound View Post
    QSC DCA or CX amps are good pro amps for home use. Inrush protection so you won't pop breakers on power up, both lines are similar, although the gains is different.
    Would these be considered to be some of the higher-quality and better-sound pro amps out there?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Very relevant, and I deal with this on a daily basis at work (I sell home audio gear ).

However, my question might be ludicrous vs. insane amounts of power (which around here, seems to be par for the course, which is great!)

Despite wanting gear like this, I don't like to listen super loud. What I *DO* like is having a momentary peak which is clean, uncompressed, and will sound great.

Ken---I used the QSC mostly to just drive Altec and JBL woofers in bi-amped hi-fis and it did that in stellar fashion. I did use the QSC fullrange for a short time driving some small KRK monitors and it sounded fine.

JBL 4645
    ^^^^A mix of different amps kinder like my set-up vintage Marantz 1050 to run the HF LCR control 5 Alesis RA300 to drive the LF LCR and single centre back Marantz 1030 to drive the surrounds arrays no sweat. The Alesis RA300 in bridge runs the JBL 4645 2240 sub no sweat at all.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
    Would these be considered to be some of the higher-quality and better-sound pro amps out there?
    If you asking what amps? I heard JBL Urei 6290 at the Empire pushing 13.000KW THX that was hard at some 20 meters away with the original JBL system. The newer in my signature uses Crown amps pushing an insane 56.000KW JBL THX wicked!

Crown amplifiers CTS 2000 for the five-screen array
    http://sales.concert-systems.com/sales/CRO-CTS2000.html

Crown CTS 3000 for the five-screen array and sub bass array
    http://sales.concert-systems.com/sales/CRO-CTS3000.html

Crown CTS 8200 for the surround array
    http://sales.concert-systems.com/sales/CRO-CTS8200.html

I’d hunt down some vintage JBL Urei 6290 I guess they must be cheap as chips today. Those new Crown amps cost an arm and leg brand new.

I seen QSC used at the Warner Village and I think there the same model from 1994 when I was shown one of two THX booths.

I later saw them last year now under the name VUE West End.

Not sure of the model number of the QSC guess you’d have to look under the THX certified listing of 1994, they could be newer QSC amps?

They sound brilliant in the THX screens loud crisp plenty of cinematic loudness that hit me in the chest on X-Men Origins Wolverine.

Edit:
    A rare view of the rack used in the VUE the layout looks the same as it was last year October 2nd 2009. The picture isn’t good because I used the camera and so you can’t see the detail unless I had a scanner. Picture was published in home cinema magazine Home Cinema Chose October 1995.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you asking what amps? I heard JBL Urei 6290 at the Empire pushing 13.000KW THX that was hard at some 20 meters away with the original JBL system. The newer in my signature uses Crown amps pushing an insane 56.000KW JBL THX wicked!
    I know you mean 56000W of 56kW, but some around here may understand that this theater has 56MW of sound amplification

Just a note.

What does the CTs series offer over the DSi series?

And 56,000 watts is lame. The $79.99 surround around system I got at the Wal*Mart puts out 2,000 watts!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    I know you mean 56000W of 56kW, but some around here may understand that this theater has 56MW of sound amplification

Just a note.
    Okay, okay enough of your piss taking! If you like to convert the number from watts to volts, then knock yourself out.

JBL 4645
    What does the CTs series offer over the DSi series?

And 56,000 watts is lame. The $79.99 surround around system I got at the Wal*Mart puts out 2,000 watts!
    You sure they didn’t buy a bulk from some dodgy guy selling them off the back end of lorry?
    Well if you happen to score on the lottery you’ll need £250.000 grand or what ever in dollars?

5000 ft is that square or cubic Ft.

You are better off having more power than any expected peaks would need. Back to one of my questions, how loud do you want to go?
    One thing to remember is that for every 3db increase in sound level the power to the speaker is doubled.
    Lets say you are 2 metes away from the 2226, one watt will give you about 94db sound level, 2 watts = 97db, 4 watts =100db, 8 watts = 103db,,,, 128 watts = 115db. This is for one speaker add 3 db for using two speakers.
    If you want to be able to handle peaks of 115db with out clipping you need an amp with at least 150W/channel.
    Keep in mind that 120 db IS VERY LOUD, I doubt that you would every play that loud.
    My AV receiver has 110w/channel and in my 14x17x9 LR and I can reach about 114db peaks. at normal levels I have plenty of head room.
    Yes QSC makes very good amps!!!

JBL 4645

For the 3678's, 3m away, 105 db. (is that THX?), 98 db., says I need 45 watts (excluding headroom). 200 watts would give me ~112 db.

JBL 4645
    For the 3678's, 3m away, 105 db. (is that THX?), 98 db., says I need 45 watts (excluding headroom). 200 watts would give me ~112 db.
    So they say. 85db peak in the middle thou a few do grumble it’s too loud in the cinema.

What size is 5000cufeet converted to room width length height? I know the number larger then my small living room.

Each has to have the same frequency response after its been EQ so no dramatic peaks of any of the LCR produces uneven tonal timber issues, same thing with the surrounds.

Subs should be with tiny fraction db but noticeable when playing back a scene while muting the sub on/off.

I aim for possible flat tonal sound with the limited parametric EQ bands I have on the DCX2496 Behringer which has 9 per 6 channels for LF/HF.

Voices pan nice a smoothly or sharp panning when it just sounds on left or right then into the centre or surrounds.

When playing wideband pink noise and add each channel one at time the level yes does double by around 3db. I read in THX interview in reprint Audio magazine September 1989.

Typical specs
    Screen channels left, centre and right should test within ±2db of ISO2969 curve, 40Hz to 16KHz when measured with pink noise and temporal and spatial averaging throughout the listening area at seated ear height. Bass extension should go to 25Hz by means of subwoofers. The calibrated sound pressure level, for absolute levels during the mix correctly, should be maintained within ±2db over the seating area. The system must be capable of playing any film format without clipping distortion.

Okay, okay enough of your piss taking! If you like to convert the number from watts to volts, then knock yourself out.
    Ok, no need to get excited, I didn't put enough smileys?

Thread Information