Thread: I'm Smitten

I'm Smitten

Ok, Ok, I'll come clean. I've always loved the JBL Sound. West Coats Sound whatever! I've owned all the lower pro series and a pair 4333s as well as many home models. I'm just one of these folks who thinks that it sounds great, and maybe theres something better out there eh? Recently I set up my new system of a Mcintosh 2255, C33 & my new speakers (new to me) PSB Stratus Golds. Now for those who haven't heard of these they are on Sterophiles B grade of speakers. I guess that means PSB advertizes a lot? Anyway, I hooked it all up and expected a new level of enjoyment. I didn't get it. So then I thought I'd put them up against 1 of the pairs of 4313Bs I have. I started listening to various tracks I was familiar with on the PSB's. I thought that it sounded good but I expected more. I switched over to the 4313Bs. I got to tell you I was excited and pissed at the same time. I was familiar with these speakers and was astounded at the difference in sound between the amplification. (Harman Kardon Digital reciever they were playing on before & The Mcintosh Amp now). I was mad that I had lugged these PSB speakers in the house and hadn't auditioned the PSBs first. The PSB's sounded good in the Midrange area, especially in the area of jazz, horns ect. But everywhere else the 4313Bs won hands down. The bass especially wasn't good on the PSBs comparitively. So then I brought out a freshly aquired pair of L-112s again JBL wins in every area except the high end where it's very close. The point I guess I'm making is what most of you probably allready know.....Go with what you hear and not what you read. It's cheaper in the long run. Oh an P.S, look for a pair of PSB Stratus Golds on Ebay for those who like that sound! I'll try room placement variations first but......
    Last edited by Audiobeer; 06-06-2003 at 05:53 PM.

Ha!

Now THAT is certainly not a "shameless promote"!! Man, after that review I think I'd wait a while before trying to move those PSB's!

LOL...

But, for those of us hanging for the rest of the story - did you get the replacement LE10H, or go with the LE111H for the 4313B's?

And, did you leave the polarity alone?

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I think that due to the recent purchases I'm going to wait before swapping out the LE10H-1 for the LE10H. I know sonicaly there's not much difference, I'm just a stickler for making them stock. I do have a line on a single LE10H. Now as for as waiting a while on the PSBs.......I don't have the room. Someone, somewhere will prefer the PSB sound. JBLDog wants to trade straight up for his 4343s but I have to act like he's putting the hurt to Me or else He'll back out! LOL!

Tom Loizeaux
    Do you still have your JBL 4333s? I suspect that those would "win", especially if you bi-amped them.

Tom

Tom, Those would have one hands down! Some time back I went through some real financial rough times so I sold some real Gems from my collection of speakers. Belive it or not the 4333s didn't make reserve though they were in mint shape. Someone who is familiar with my collection drove down from Ohio and picked them up. He couldn't belive the shape they were in other than the grill frames and bought them. Exactly 1 month later I get two more contracts with Anheuser-Busch and business has never been better. If only I had waited.

Tom Loizeaux
    Don't dispair, I have a beatuifully restored pair of 4333s that will need a good home.

Tom

Let Me know!!!!

Thread Information