Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brociner folded corner horn?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Spkrman57, my way of doing things is definitely the path less traveled, and YMMV. One can surely obtained the widest bandwidth in a given volume using a driver whose resonance is down around the flare frequency. I am primarily after clarity and transparency to the source, and suppressing resonances is the way to go IMO. It is hard for a driver to slavishly follow the signal if it is trying to go nuts at its resonant frequency at the same time. If you try it both ways you might at first be seduced by the extension of the low Fs driver, but eventually come to prefer the clean sound of the high Fs driver. With a finite horn (all of them) the response achieved never quite makes it to the flare frequency, though I would expect you'll get good response to 50Hz. or so.
    Hi Steve,

I too appreciate your explanation to Ron. He has taught me what little I know. It's nice to be able to follow along at home.

I have a pair of the Build In '52 Imperials that I had been loading with low FS drivers. Your explanation might be spot on - I was seduced (sometimes still am) but have also enjoyed the clarity of a relatively higher FS driver in the same box.

The build in's are supposed to load to roughly 45hz, can you recommend a minimum Fs for a driver to work well in this cabinet?
    Last edited by Dingusboy; 02-11-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: wrote lower FS when I meant higher

Having both a D131 (fs=75Hz) and a D130 (fs=40Hz) in the Jensen back-loading folded corner horns, I can confirm from actual listening experience that the lower fs provides more bass power down low at the expense of a bit more "boom" whereas the higher fs doesn't go as low, but has a bit less "boom." I suppose that having both playing simultaneously in the same room provides a bit of the worst and a bit of the best of both worlds. The cutoff for my cabinets is ~43Hz, so I would imagine similar results in your '52 Imperials.

Yo Ron...have you tried to "break" in those new windows with those folded corner horns yet?

Horns on hold still....

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf57 View Post
    Yo Ron...have you tried to "break" in those new windows with those folded corner horns yet?

I'm waiting for the cork gaskets to arrive next week for my D131/2202 JBL drivers.

I'm talking to my contractor and getting new gutters in a few weeks to be sure that I'm totally broke her in the near future!!!

I'm guessing that in apporx 3 - 4 weeks I'll be caught up enough to get the horns up and running. I'm going to use a tubed electronic crossover and using 800hz as a starting point.

More to follow later, have to get back to painting and more home repairs. Here's pics of me painting and the new look on the front of the house w/new windows, new trim and a (new to me) metal front door.

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    JBL Pro for home use!

Fantastic Ron! Nice cabinet, a real corker of a paint job and now that you have the leaks fixed, you should get much better bass response.

I have one of these cabinets too!

Found it for $50 bucks on Craiglist, and posted the question "What would YOU do with this cabinet?" on diyaudio.com. Two weeks later, and 11 pages in, I'm listening to it now with a JBL 2220A 15" woofer, a QSC 10" x 14" Waveguide horn with a Selenium driver and an Econowave crossover. It sounds wonderful, and I haven't even moved it into the corner yet--it's smack in the middle of the living room and filling it with more big clean sound than I ever expected.

My original idea was a 50's vintage mono mid-fi system, powered by a Heathkit A7. But this thing is definitely not mid-fi, it's fi is very hi. I'm thinking of taking it to a cabinet maker to have it replicated for stereo.

The discussion can be found here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...o-cabinet.html

This thread was referenced today in that thread. This is my first post here, but I have been scavenging info at this site for a long time. I'm old school, JBL and Altec are audio comfort food to me.

These cabs are awesome. It's amusing that Jensen's name for it was a "compact back loading folded horn." OK, compared to the refrigerator in their tech bulletin no. 1 maybe, but it's a big, beefy cabinet, and sounds just like it should, and I haven't even put it in the corner yet.

Welcome to Lansing heritage Wilberforce!

I read your thread on diyaudio and hope to have my horns up and running in the fall.\

Too many other projects to do first.

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

May the Force be with you, Wilber!

Great to read of your DIY journey with this design. Having two of these babies, I hope you'll go for broke and get a good cabinet maker to build you another. Or...might you try it yourself?

The horizontal shelf bracing reduces cabinet wall resonances, but never having heard this design without it, I can't comment on the improvement. The horn walls are large and if you play some bass heavy music and place your palm on the outside of the wall, I'm sure you'll feel some vibration. Hook up a signal generator to your amp and sweep the low end and you can identify the cabinet wall resonant frequencies with the "palm test."

On the other hand...if you love the sound, just sit back and enjoy!

An update to an ancient thread .

Wilberforce eventually had constructed this pair of wonderful cabinets.

Name:  Brociner_Fronts_P1010389Medium.jpg
Views: 4317
Size:  53.6 KB

Reviving old thread

I've been busy with several friends with medical issues. But I'm looking at trying JBL 2206/2447 on 2332 horn using modified 4pi x-over(Wayne Parham pi forum).

I'm still trying to get my house cleaned from hoarding too much audio gear and drivers.

Ill be driving my spkrs with 6CA7/EL34 single ended for 9 PC.

Ill. Post results in future.....

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Reviving it again....I just bought this corner cabinet which I believe is a Brociner. It has a JBL n1200 crossover (old style) with a Tannoy direct radiator 12", a JBL d131, and a JBL 175.

Name:  corner speaker.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  60.0 KB
    Name:  Resized_20180708_160013 (1).jpeg
Views: 1489
Size:  67.3 KB
    Name:  Resized_20180708_112427.jpeg
Views: 1336
Size:  76.5 KB

Revived once again.

I'll try to type up a post here soon...

I acquired these through a friend whose into horns and collects Altec.

They are made entirely of solid 3/4" Mahogany. Actual 3/4" material.

So the supposed story is a guy in town back in the mid-late 50's, bought a 15" Tannoy Silver and had a local furniture maker build a Jensen BLH for the Tannoy.
    (from what I can guess they used the Jensen plans)

Then stereo became popular. So the guy had another cabinet made, but couldn't afford another 15" Tannoy Silver.
    So he bought an Altec 15" duplex of some model, can't recall the model the friend mentioned.

The old glue was failed or failing, and it took some time to repair some seams and seal things up. The task at hand is mostly finish work...
    Once the repairs were done, I was a bit impressed at the bass presence. It's rolling off rather fast at 50Hz, but what they do above that is rather nice.

I'm using a Crites CW1526/K33 woofer, with Faital Pro LTH142 horn, with the HF140 driver. A passive 2nd order network using an autoformer, with cut-off at 500Hz.

Mike Stehr

Thread Information