Thread: Design own crossovers

Design own crossovers

Is there any software to design crossovers?

Nope, you should create some.

There is a bunch! For starters if you buy a new copy of the Loudspeaker Cookbook by Vance Dickerson they will on request with a copy of your sales receipt mail you a CD free with their "LCD" design program which includes basic crossover calculators.

On the other end exists programs like the LinearX LEAP5 Crossover shop. This requires much more from the user than the basic calculators, it will give you much more as one would expect. have a look at; linearx.com

There is ton's in between including freeware, I expect this list to grow rapidly.

Have fun.

The guys who make Bassbox Pro make a software for Xovers, that isn't difficult to use like LEAP...

Speaker tester from the guys at woofertester.com
    Always fun learning more.......

Is there any software to design crossovers?
    Just having crossover design software is meaningless. You need a measurement system that you can take your own in box measurements with or it simply won't work. Keep that in mind when you start pricing things out. Start looking at soundcard based measurments systems. Some of them are very good and not that expensive.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Just having crossover design software is meaningless. You need a measurement system that you can take your own in box measurements with or it simply won't work. Keep that in mind when you start pricing things out. Start looking at soundcard based measurments systems. Some of them are very good and not that expensive.

Rob
    Could you offer suggestions on viable soundcard based measurement systems?

Soundeasy , comes with crossover design software integrated in the program.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=500-912

Arta

http://www.fesb.hr/~mateljan/arta/download.htm

HOLM Impulse

http://www.holmacoustics.com/holmimpulse.php

Those are 3 off the top of my head. There are more out there just do some searching.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I use a crossover breakout box to simulate crossover parts and quickly substitute values. I also have a 4 channel amp and 3 way electronic crossover I use to test the crossover points, attenuation, and evaluate how an electronic crossover may work with passive parts.

For testing I use a mic and RTA software. Crossover design can be tedious and complicated but if you use drivers designed to work well together it makes it much easier. There is nothing wrong with using a conventional design that is simple. LCR traps, shelves, and complicated 3rd and 4th order networks are impressive but not always necessary. Sometimes it is the simple designs that work best.

What ever you come up with try to test with the same source material to keep things constant. I use spoken word tapes of male and female voices and try to get a natural sound from the system.

As a final test I check the impedance of the system from 20 to 20K to make sure the impedance doesn't stray too low. A proper network should have uniform but minimal phase shift at the crossover points, the L250Ti networks are an excellent example of a great design. The tool I use for this is a woofer tester 2. It gives a full programmable sweep.

If you lack the tools and patience for designing a network stick with popular drivers and known designs you can duplicate. You'll be happy with the results.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

Crossover breakout box:

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    Crossover breakout box:

Yank
    Nice! I have heard about this guy! Havent seen it though! Over the past 6 months I have dropped an enormous amount of money on almost every cap, coil, and resistor for tinkering to find that right sound. Maybe this would have been cheaper than buying all the parts. Atleast I know have boxes of caps n' coils!

Has anyone ever used the Crossover box?!

The one pictured is mine. You can also add external values too. Two of these can be chained for steeper slopes or complicated designs. Phase can be reversed with a switch, Zobels can be connected as well.

Get one here.
    http://www.vidsonix.com/vx_aud4ind.html

I should get another one for either stereo use or 4 way systems. I use an electronic crossover and 4 channel amp for initial testing. When I buy the parts I'm pretty sure it's gonna be close.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

Thread Information