Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
Now I'm wondering if I should consider a smaller (3 cu.ft.?) sealed cabinet with an EQ'd plate amp.
Thanks, Tom. From the number of views, Sub 1500 is a popular subject, for sure, and playing around with them is tons of fun, as you can see.

Here's what I can tell you from what I've done so far: As Giskard suggests, the Sub 1500 likes the closed box just fine. The bass is clean, tight, and LOW. Due to room rise, you may find you won't need any EQ, even.

However, be aware that the overall SPL output is as much as 6 dB lower in a closed box, and you'll need a substantial amp to run them at appreciable volume. I see PE has 500 and 1000 W plate amps now, but I have no experience with these.

I'm running my Sub 1500's on a Mackie 1400i, which is 425 W/C into 4 ohms. Just a rough guess from the LED panel indicators, but it seems I'm actually puting 100 W each into them here. If I added the BX63A, which I plan to do, it's clear I'd need that additional power.

My target for tuning the box and running ported is 27 Hz, but, since closing the ports, I'm pretty happy with the results, and I may never get around to extending the ports to try it. If I was using these in a disco where I needed more boom per Watt, it might get some project priority here, tho....