Thread: Mystery 416?

Mystery 416?

Picked up a "loner" VOTT tonight which contains and 803A, 802B and H-800-D Crossover. I haven't been able to locate the same size enclosure anywhere. Thing measures 50" x 24" x 68" to the top of the horn. Can anyone shed any insight on this for me?

Thanks!

Also came with a 20275 replacement diaphragm in the box!

My bad......I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Ackkk - please don't delete the thread.
    Please come back and post more details once the holidays are over and you get a chance to provide more info about this unusual speaker from a vintage theatre!

As a courtesy, I'm providing your link and an image ..
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...eakers/800.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Quagh View Post
    Picked up a "loner" VOTT tonight which contains and 803A, 802B and H-800-D Crossover. I haven't been able to locate the same size enclosure anywhere. Thing measures 50" x 24" x 68" to the top of the horn. Can anyone shed any insight on this for me?

Thanks!

Also came with a 20275 replacement diaphragm in the box!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

More pics....

Quagh, as hjames pointed out with her link, you have an Altec Model 800 system, ancestor to the A5 and A7 systems. The 800 was introduced in 1947 as the first "baby" Voice of the Theatre system. Some of the earliest ones were fitted with a plastic version of the H-808 horn as well as the 803 (not "A") driver. Yours is a little later. The 802B driver was introduced in 1947, and had roughly the same lifespan (until 1952) as the Model 800. I have seen 802Bs with serial numbers over 9,000, so they made a lot of Model 800s as probably a majority of these drivers were used in these systems. Even so, intact 800 systems like yours are pretty scarce these days. It looks like your woofer was reconed in 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Quagh, as hjames pointed out with her link, you have an Altec Model 800 system, ancestor to the A5 and A7 systems. The 800 was introduced in 1947 as the first "baby" Voice of the Theatre system. Some of the earliest ones were fitted with a plastic version of the H-808 horn as well as the 803 (not "A") driver. Yours is a little later. The 802B driver was introduced in 1947, and had roughly the same lifespan (until 1952) as the Model 800. I have seen 802Bs with serial numbers over 9,000, so they made a lot of Model 800s as probably a majority of these drivers were used in these systems. Even so, intact 800 systems like yours are pretty scarce these days. It looks like your woofer was reconed in 1979.
    Steve,

Thanks for the historical info. Yeah the guy didn't know what he had and it's a shame he didn't have 2 of them. Not sure what may have happened to the other. I was also able to get the perimeter speakers (12" University's in the boxes) so what happened to it's mate is a mystery. Is it possible the theatre only used one?

Mark

It is most likely that the theatre used a single system as it was built prior to the stereo era, and prior to the use of multi-channel systems in theatres, at least for the most part. The Model 800 was typically used in smaller local theatres with a few hundred seats at most.

Will make one hell of a center channel speaker.
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    Will make one hell of a center channel speaker.
    Well that's kinda how they used it in the theatre (albeit in mono) so yeah, why not!

Sometimes Less is More...

Get yourself a GE RPX mono cartridge and matching periferals and you will see why most every one with a decent mono system was wondering why anybody would want a "stereo" with more complexity and less "you are there" back in the day.

Noticed lately how many mono reissues on vinyl there are?

Disclaimer: HiFi Mono over two speakers is not true point source... Always use the correct needle profile for the piece of vinyl you are listening to...78 different than 33 / 45 rpm. Microgroove etc YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by JoMoCo View Post
    Get yourself a GE RPX mono cartridge and matching periferals and you will see why most every one with a decent mono system was wondering why anybody would want a "stereo" with more complexity and less "you are there" back in the day.

Disclaimer: HiFi Mono over two speakers is not true point source... Always use the correct needle profile for the piece of vinyl you are listening to...78 different than 33 / 45 rpm. Microgroove etc YMMV
    Well I have a mono Grommes 221a that's looking for something to do and I picked up the 7 12" University speakers that were used in the same theatre. All I need now are some mono Beatles and a cart and I could be up and running in no time!

Suggestions on finding mono 1/2 carts? Needle Dr maybe?

Connections, 800

On this unit.....it has 2 com connections for Low Freq, 0 thru 5 for HF.

How would I connect the individual drivers to the cross over?

You never know unless you ask!

GE RPX mono or GE VRII Stereo

GE RPX Mono Cartridge vs GE VRII combo Cartridge. There are of course others like Fairchild, Ortofon, Fidelity Research etc but the GE RPX is the broadcast standard at a lot of radio stations in the 50's & 60's. Your Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, Beatles, Byrds and other monos will come alive again...Some of us have a mono arm & a stereo arm on the same table while others are completely dedicated mono...

http://members.myactv.net/~je183/retro.htm

These come up on ebay either individually or as part of an old phono fairly regularly. Do some of your own research either on audioasylum forum or maybe the vinylengine...Be patient and you will be rewarded. As they have not been built since the early sixties I believe. The new replacement needles are available via aftermarket also. They are higher signal output than most modern carts so the right phono pre is required.

Grado has continued the "moving iron" / variable reluctance / design in their cartridge line as well as has Decca, the Musicman etc. I am sure the Needle Doctor has brand new stuff but new is not always better...YMMV

Enjoy your music!

Quote Originally Posted by JoMoCo View Post

Kinda kicking myself for selling my b12gh Rek that I had picked up for 75 bucks last year. Figured I didn't need another project and since I was laid off, I had to sell it.

Have to make do with my Dual 1009 and 1209 in it's place. Those are the only 2 idler wheel styles I have at the time. I have a bunch of other vintage TT's but they are all Pioneers, Marantz, Sansui, and a Thorens 166. I really like the Duals tho'. Nice heavy stuff. Just like my life was at it's zenith when I had absolutely nothing, I get the most enjoyment from the cheapest gear I have. Cheapest in terms of what I've paid anyway.

Thread Information