Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a New Amp Set-Up...Recs?

Punch
    I had a bad connection.....so, I am sure I fixed it. And, I called the guy as well, and we dialed it in.

I was not sure if I had extra cables since most of my cables are still packed from the move. He said that they are not expensive, but he grabbed what was right in front of him. As we discussed yesterday, he is from the school of thought that you do not need to spend a lot on cables.

Punch
    UPDATE:

I was able to demo quite a bit of gear...I had it narrowed down to:
    -Citation Power Amp
    -Perreaux Power Amp
    -Cary SLP-70 hybrid tube pre-amp, heavily modified
    -Musical Design Ultra Platinum Pre-amp
    -Musical Design Ultra Platinum Hafler 500

The Cary Pre-amp and the Perreaux won the challenge....BIG BIG full, warm sound...very musical and seems to bring out the best in a recording...even those mediocre ones.

Punch
    A few pics...the L166's are not hooked up...the NAD is there for show (I might use it with the 166's, it works well with them)...the new B380. I took the picture of the B380 when I first brought it home and was moving things around a bit. It is not hooked up yet.

Pic of the demo:

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    The Cary Pre-amp and the Perreaux won the challenge....BIG BIG full, warm sound...very musical and seems to bring out the best in a recording...even those mediocre ones.
    Congratulations!!!

I am sure the trip was fun and it's good to hear that your destination was worth the effort.

I expect I would have ended up with the same pair given the choices including the Macs... but not everyone would. Audio diversity... it's a good thing.

OT: What turntable/cartridge are you using?

Widget

Punch
    Thanks Widget!!!! Thank you for all of your help in the decision and for the phone calls.. You were right about that combo all along.

Here is a link to a similar Cary: http://i-vol.com/cary_slp-70/

That about summed it up.

I REALLY do like the Mac CD player. I agree with you when you told me CD players are "disposable" and not to spend a lot. I got such a smoking deal on this one, I could not resist. I would have done a Lexicon or a Rotel if the price was too high.

The TT is weakest link in my chain. I have a AT 440MLa and a Denon DL160 for cartridges. I have always liked the classic Technics tables, but I think that is my next upgrade.

Oh yeah, I also need a Crossover/Amp for the B380.

Congrats on getting it all setup and tuned the way you like it ! I really like the looks of that Mac CD player. It would sure keep my C220 company - I may have to check into one.....

I can help with TT recommendations as can others I'm sure. What's your budget ?

jblnut

Punch
    Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Congrats on getting it all setup and tuned the way you like it ! I really like the looks of that Mac CD player. It would sure keep my C220 company - I may have to check into one.....

I can help with TT recommendations as can others I'm sure. What's your budget ?

jblnut

My budget? Best bang for the buck....that is what I am all about. I think the Technics sounds very very good because I am not comparing it to anything else...it is all that I know. I do not want to spend a lot, that's for sure. I love the old AR tables as well.

Whatever it is, I like the tables that require as little fuss as possible because if I have to fidget with something all the time, it frustrates me. I just want to set it and let it go.

Nothing wrong with a good Technics 1200 that's for sure. Maybe not the best arm out there, but they can be made to sound real nice. And they are durable as hell. Stepping up from there sonically, the AR XD of the early 80's is a real gem sonically but they are rare. I'm kind of partial to the Yamaha linears (PX-2,PX-3) as they perform way about their price range. But, they are 25-30 years old now and have some unobtanium sensors. I'm loving mine, but when it breaks, that's it. Another great performer that's a tad newer (and a whole lot simpler) is the Yamaha PF-800/1000.

I hate to tell you this, but there is no such thing as a "little fuss" turntable that's also real cheap and sounds good (measured by the yardstick of your other components). An old table will eventually need TLC, and a new table will cost some $$$.

I would set the bar around $500 for a good table and cartridge, given your other components. Go too cheap, and those 250's will be revealing every flaw. I know, cuz I been there - starting with a cheap Technics direct drive (SL-D2 I think) in the $100 range then moving up to a Luxman in the $250 range. I wasn't happy until I got the PX-2, and 4 years later I still am.

Feel free to call or PM me if you want to dive into this any deeper. I'm way into vinyl....

jblnut

Punch
    Thanks Craig....when I am ready, I will take you up on that offer to help. I really appreciate that.

That's the one all right! My best friend had one for years that he eventually sold and upgraded to a Linn LP12. I loved that AR - it was really, really sweet.

Then again, so is that LP12

jblnut

Thread Information