Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I do with these L100's??

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Yes, with XO boards and components; you have to assemble them yourself, though we'll do that with an upcharge....
    Man, that thread has over 500 pages!

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    It's extremely difficult to find what you want since things like "polars" are discussed on so many pages.

It's taking less time to build geddes style waveguides than read through that thread

I have the JBL PTs, and will include them in my testing along with the ones I'm building and selenium HM17-25s. This is gonna take some work!

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Yeah, we're a wordy bunch.

Far and away AudioKarma's largest thread, it will race past a half-million views in the next couple of days.

I have linked everything essential to know from the first post; the rest is just a couple hundred of us learning stuff and having fun building EconoWaves....

I have two old Cerwin-Vega (I think) 18" here, and also two 2119, maybe I'll invent something to econowave them... next year

need empty cabs?

I don't know if this helps, but I was picking up a pair of speakers yesterday (Wed) from a guy in Stockton who mentioned he has a bunch of empty cabs, mostly L100's, including some that are pristine, that he's looking to get rid of. I don't know what he wants for them, but I can't imagine a clean set is worth more than $50 or so. If anyone's interested. let me know and I'll feel him up (figuratively speaking only) and see what he's got and how much he wants for them.

Not affiliated, so you'd have to work out something with him for pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I don't know if this helps, but I was picking up a pair of speakers yesterday (Wed) from a guy in Stockton who mentioned he has a bunch of empty cabs, mostly L100's, including some that are pristine, that he's looking to get rid of.
    Thanks for the heads up, he must be one of those hated flippers that parts out everything they can get their hands on. I don't like those people. I can't part anything out if its in restore-able condition. I ended up selling this to a guy for 160$ that was just getting into audio and couldn't find a pair of fair priced mint ones.

I hear you - I'm not thrilled about strippers/flippers either, but I do understand the logic - if you can buy a pristine pair for $400 or so, how much work would you put into fixing up some beaten ones, if the parts are worth $250 or so?

In my case, I buy the beaters for parts, buy nice ones for show, then buy another pair for parts (can't turn down a good deal), and soon I have a shop full of speakers, 1/3 are gorgeous, but 2/3rd's need some love, and I don't have time to refurbish them - I have to keep working to make money to buy more.

I need to either learn to refurb these in a time-efficient manner so that I can get rid of the extras (that would make me a flipper), or give up, pull the drivers and chuck the beaten enclosures (that would make me a stripper, I guess). I don't do L100's, but have some T3 series stuff that needs cabinet work, and I don't know the stain...

Maybe the acid test is if you sell someone a pair of L65 Jubals that need work for $500 and come back a week later, will he be listening to them or listing the 077's on EBay...

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I hear you - I'm not thrilled about strippers/flippers either, but I do understand the logic - if you can buy a pristine pair for $400 or so, how much work would you put into fixing up some beaten ones, if the parts are worth $250 or so?

In my case, I buy the beaters for parts, buy nice ones for show, then buy another pair for parts (can't turn down a good deal), and soon I have a shop full of speakers, 1/3 are gorgeous, but 2/3rd's need some love, and I don't have time to refurbish them - I have to keep working to make money to buy more.

I need to either learn to refurb these in a time-efficient manner so that I can get rid of the extras (that would make me a flipper), or give up, pull the drivers and chuck the beaten enclosures (that would make me a stripper, I guess). I don't do L100's, but have some T3 series stuff that needs cabinet work, and I don't know the stain...

Maybe the acid test is if you sell someone a pair of L65 Jubals that need work for $500 and come back a week later, will he be listening to them or listing the 077's on EBay...
    I'm in something of the same boat. I'm interested in the drivers. The overall system design for most of these is atrocious and not worth preserving.... for me. I do make sure to give the forum a chance at the emptied cabs, etc, if they want them. No takers on some well loved Lancer 33 cabs yet, I'll give the forum another shot then likely scrap 'em.

I'm a taker on the L33s, if we can find an economical way to get them up here....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    I'm a taker on the L33s, if we can find an economical way to get them up here....
    That's the problem, the cabs weigh enough that boxing them up would take more effort than newer, better cab builds. They're simple boxes. Sure there's a grille etc, but they're painted white and pretty fugly.

Oh well. Maybe I'll throw something back in them and use them in the garage.

Thread Information