Page 97 of 721 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197597 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    I see you obtained another enjoyable Moody Blues album.
    No new vinyl yesterday , but picked up some old friends -CD- from the library

Best of the Moody Blues
    Buffalo Springfield - Retrospective
    CCR - 6 disk boxed set
    George Harrison - All things Must Pass

Its the 60's all over again
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    No new vinyl yesterday , but picked up some old friends -CD- from the library

Best of the Moody Blues
    Buffalo Springfield - Retrospective
    CCR - 6 disk boxed set
    George Harrison - All things Must Pass

Its the 60's all over again
    Ahh - with the Moodies, at least, their early albums were all concept album, music stitched together to flow from one to the next. When I saw them in Baltimore touring for "Every Good Boy Deserves favour" it was amazing to hear them live sequing songs together from album to album ... amazing stuff.
    I saw them in Atlanta in '74, touring for "Seven Sojourn" - they were not the same band. yes, it was the same players, but they were abrupt with each other. Songs ended completely before another song began. It seemed obvious to me that they were headed for a break up. And shortly afterwards, they did.

I saw them a few years later in Columbia, MD and it was more of a "greatest Hits" tour. They were playing together again, but, it seemed like between them there was friendship between old friends, but not the same trust or openness.
    The oroginal keyboardists Mike Pinder isn't with them any more, they didn't flow songs together on stage. It was just individual songs with applause and the usual band-audience rapor.

Anyway - that flow of music from song to song was part of the charm -
    hope the anthology has a touch of that at least!

For the deadheads - How can you have China Cat without I Know You, Rider? Its just incomplete!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Anyway - that flow of music from song to song was part of the charm -
    hope the anthology has a touch of that at least!
    If it's the same album I have "The Moody Blues Greatest Hits" released in '89, it unfortunately does not. The songs aren't even chronologically arranged on the disc...

But, it's still a good listen even if it does the lack the "flow" that was a unique part of their style. I actually pulled it out today and put it on after reading this thread earlier this morning

Best,
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    If it's the same album I have "The Moody Blues Greatest Hits" released in '89, it unfortunately does not. The songs aren't even chronologically arranged on the disc...

But, it's still a good listen even if it does the lack the "flow" that was a unique part of their style. I actually pulled it out today and put it on after reading this thread earlier this morning

Best,
    - Mike
    This are it .....good tunes, not much flow ,,only ebb
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a different version, but likewise

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    This are it .....good tunes, not much flow ,,only ebb

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    I have a different version, but likewise
    Your version is missing my favorite song, "Go Now." I admit it does not go with the rest, but for me Denny Lane was the lion's share of the talent in the band and I consider the work after his early departure wimpy, straight laced and without soul by comparison. They went from a Blues band to a Pop band.

No comment from me on his start to finish tenure with Wings, however. And I know, "He's never been much of a father." But that is not a musical affair.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Your version is missing my favorite song, "Go Now."
    Luckily I have quite a bit of Moody's vinyl to supplement my CD's, and I do have the album . You're right that it is a grainy, soulful song, and a great showing by them!

Best,
    - Mike

talk about "FLOW"

listened to Jeff Wayne's"War of the Worlds" last nite ....although Haywood was the only Moody to have a part, the whole thing had a very Moody flavour ...talk about flow...this is a masterful production

http://www.amazon.com/Jeff-Waynes-Mu...9553152&sr=8-8

DID pickup the dual LP of "All Things Must Pass" at the flea market today ...the box is going to need some restoration, but vinyl looks OK.

Spirit

I finally acquired on CD one of my favorites from back in "the day": Spirit's "The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus." Randy California, the guitarist, drowned a few years ago saving his young son from an undertow. Randy was a very tasteful guitarist of tremendous technical ability. Spirit incorporated elements of jazz and so-called "world music" into rock long before it became fashionable to do so and is, at least in my opinion, one of the most original and timeless bands to have come out of the "psychedelic era." The drummer, who's name I can't recall at the moment, was the bald guy seen in profile on the cover of the "Clear" album and was also Randy California's father-in-law. Randy got the "California" attached to his name by Jimi Hendrix. The story is that there were two guitarists named Randy who were vying for the job of 2d guitar for a Hendrix tour, and Hendrix dubbed them by their state names to differentiate between them. The younger of the two, Randy California, got the gig, and the name stuck. I seem to recall he legally changed his last name to "California" at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    Randy California, got the gig, and the name stuck. I seem to recall he legally changed his last name to "California" at some point.
    thanx for that story Wiz..I always wondered..good that he wasnt from Massachusetts ...I went on a P2P "Hey Joe" spree one time and put 17 different versions on a CD ...RC's was one of the better ones.

speak of old friends ....got ATMP for a buck at the flea market...2 LP's pretty good, but it took about an hour and lots of tape to rehab the box...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Ahh - with the Moodies, at least, their early albums were all concept album,
    went out on vinyl safari today, but no joy ....did find this MB's CD ....looks like a compile .but I cant find where the Moodies ever did these...

Tom, that looks like an album from the Go Now time period before Justin Hayward joined the group.

a good day on vinyl safari

Everything in GREAT condition....abt $7 for the whole lot...always liked "Eye of the Zombie" and had never seen it on LP ...the John Williams is a triple and the disks look "never played" as does the Montrose.

more from the same lot ....the Navy Commodores "not for sale" jazz album attracted me with the pic of Zummie on the back...I spent the day with him in '71 and we had coffee in "Admirals Country" ...the most popular CNO in history.

Gonna find out if I still like Judy Collins...the Guthrie/Seeger double looks interesting

Thread Information