Page 92 of 721 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192592 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    took a thrift run (too cold for bike) and found The White Album in pretty good shape , got it home and opened to find the wall poster and 4 mini portrait posters ... also a double of the 50's best , like new, an EmmyLou Harris greatest hits , still sealed (anybody interested ? ) and the "Beatles Again" , also in acceptable condition.
    Love the Emmylou Harris, but already have it (yes, on vinyl, also on CD). What're you asking for it?
    Out.

Currently running Buddha Zen Trance Chillout Trip 1: Nirvana Lounge, "Soothe" on the L250s.

Yep, probably no one else here listens to this, but sometimes at work it's how I get through some of the BS of the work day.
    Out.

Great vinyl safari today

23 records for under $10 .... all VG or better condition the last listing is a 9 disk boxed set...looks like new !!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Glasshouse27
    Currently cranking out some Genesis - Foxtrot... Supper's Ready just mind blowing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Cool. Glad you're back to listening.
    Umm, I'm still a bit stunned. The family left for a while so I figured now would be a good time to play the 4345s loud. Of course if you ask my family, I've been playing them TOO loud already, but you all know what I mean.

I've been real good, playing lots of jazz and some mellow stuff for weeks but tonight I pulled out Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad. The Crowns are still turned down quite a ways, in fact the input attenuators are set at half-way—straight up—on both amps. At 12-o'clock on the pre-amp my wife and daughter can't stay in the room, and my wife likes the level at 9-o'clock. It gets pretty close to too loud about 3-o'clock, so that's where I had it tonight.

I often hear people say they hear new stuff in some speakers, or amps, they never heard before in their music. Well, I've had Kamakiriad for about sixteen years and I never knew there was actually a second voice (likely Fagen, too, maybe Becker) who mumbles something and then shoots off a flair at about 4:48 on Snowbound, right on cue as Fagen sings ". . . some loser fires off a flair . . ."! I played it over about five times just laughing at it. It's that clear, even at that volume. I'd forgotten the CD had Amy Helm and Curtis King singing background. Like old friends. Rediscovering music is really the fun part. Great recording. Amazing speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I often hear people say they hear new stuff in some speakers, or amps, they never heard before in their music.
    So now do you hear all the saturations in your favorite Norah Jones album, Come Away With Me?
    I can't listen to this album anymore. When you start noticing them they become really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    So now do you hear all the saturations in your favorite Norah Jones album, Come Away With Me?
    I can't listen to this album anymore. When you start noticing them they become really annoying.
    Actually, as I've said before—maybe to you—her Not Too Late is my favorite album. The one Donald Fagen points to as a model of how-good recordings can still be with respect to saturation and compression. I don't listen to the others. But yes, even good recordings have things in them you'd rather not hear that become more obvious with better speakers. A great recording certainly sounds even better, but warts become more obvious on the bad ones. Whether that's a feature or a benefit I'll leave to the individual. With the current state of music these days, it might be a selling point for lesser speakers.

Let's just say there are many CDs that are best listened to in the car.

Shut down the thread? Where else can you find so much misinformation on speaker phasing, crossover design, house wiring, and wonks adding to the cacophony without comprehending the playing field? I was thinking of preserving it in the Internet Forum Hall of Shame.

ok vinyl safari yesterday , including the ultra rare Judy Collins interp of the Musgorski classic

Just installed a "new" Soundcraftsmen Pro-EQ-44 and Pro-Control-Four to replace one of my venerable DX-4200s in my living-room system with the 4345s. Went from an octave EQ to a third-octave in preparation for EQ-ing the room. Trying out those bastard, improperly wired, badly built 4345 clones right now with a newly acquired second album by a favorite bunch of kids:

Crooked Still: Shaken By A Low Sound (2006)

I came upon them after being transfixed by cellist Rushad Eggleston when he filled in for Mike Marshall at a Darol Anger—Mike Marshall concert. Rushad had played with Anger's "Republic of Strings" band and he just killed it that night at the Paramount Theatre in Charlottesville, VA. And he was equally entertaining to talk to. Whacked-out!

I then looked up out about his group, Crooked Still, and got their first album "Hop High" (2004) that I've pushed here to anyone willing to listen. "Shaken by a Low Sound" is the last album Rushad did with them before disapearing off the face of the earth. I've talked about him with local musicians who attended the Berklee College of Music with him but he's basically dropped out. Too bad. The group went on in a different configuration, but the original vocalist, Aoife O'Donovan, is just too good to be missed. She shines on both "Hop High" and "Shaken by a Low Sound". If you like double bass, incredible cello, superb banjo from an MIT biology Phd., then maybe Crooked Still will wow you, too.

It helps to have 18" woofers, but I like them on the 030 and L7s, too!

paragon

LRB

Little River Band - Rearranged.

yeah , I know ...modern bubble gum,,,but it sure is fun in short bursts....40 remastered tracks

.......It's wintertime.....

........and a new CD: Johnny Winter Second Winter. When I don't feel like cuing up the album. Tommy Shannon sure lets my Altecs go for a ride! This one I push the boundary with....snows in my living room....the popcorn ceiling...what's left!
    Last edited by jeenie67; 02-28-2009 at 01:54 AM. Reason: I'm not sure...

Larry Carlton - Alone/But Never Alone.
    Just enjoying the music I'd put away a while ago. Renewing old acquaintances.

......Strauss in the house.....

.... never heard of Infinity digital, but...Strauss: The Blue Danube and other Waltz Favorites. QK 57238. DDD. ..wonder what that stands for? DDD? St. Petersburg Radio & TV Symphony Orchestra. Stanislav Gorkovenko, Conductor. I really like this one! After Mettalica has rearranged the furniture for me....a little domestic realignment.
    There's something about bi-amping right/ left. I played with a couple of HF/LF arrangements and thought I'd just try it while I had all the cables accessible. I do note a minute difference in the two Crowns though...wonder why?

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeenie67 View Post
    I do note a minute difference in the two Crowns though...wonder why?
    I'm a little surprised by that. Perhaps internal component matching could be more consistent with those?

Thread Information