Page 66 of 721 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166566 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Playing Now

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Ummm ... that would be RawHide ... sheesh ...
    Raw Ride was that OTHER cowboy movie a few years ago with Jake Gyllenhaal - what happens on THAT mountain stays on the mountain!
    (and Clint wasn't there ...)

Just as long isn’t “Brockback Mountain” I heard a lot of strange things happen on that mountain, Yikes!

Junior Kimbrough

Wow.....simply amazing guitar work and ambience
    Attached Images Attached Images  

00Robin
    Lucky Peterson's ~ Beyond Cool really does the job sometimes...

Charles
    http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p1014411387.jpg

David Bromberg, Demon in Disguise. GREAT guitar work.... Only made 4 albums of his own since 71, but, has accompained over 100 top name musicans because of his guitar picking style.

Rory Gallagher

Dug out an old vinyl LP I unaccountably hadn't transposed to cd yet--Taste, "On the Boards," truly great blues-inspired guitar. Gallagher, a youthful prodigy, died way too young. I should have mentioned him in the "Lead Guitar" thread.

MJ Bing

Thumbs up Herbie Hancock

Herbie Hancock
    "The New Standard"
    Mostly covers
    Released in '96

Hank Marvin and The Shadows, "Wonderful Land." Mike Oldfield did a great cover of this song. Hank can make that Strat talk!

Harry Nilsson Re-mastered Re-issues & others

Hi all,

Just got Nilsson's Nilsson Schmilsson and A Touch of Schmilsson, both re-mastered re-issues. Used to own both LPs back in the 70's, you know with those timeless classics, like Without You and Coconut. Well, they're still great listens now as they were back then, espcially when these re-masterings are just sonically fantastic! Plus they've got bonus tracks that were taken originally with the final tracks, mostly of demo nature, like Nilsson singing Without You with just a piano accompaniment, not to mention Spanish and Italian language versions of that song, or Coconut with just a guitar.

On Re-mastered Re-issues: Over the past couple of years, maybe starting from around the mid-90's, there have been many, many re-issues of 'classic' titles, a welcome trend for those of us who've owned the original LPs and have wanted to hear them again, but couldn't or didn't because either one didn't want to bother with all the idiosyncracies of analog players or the re-issued CDs just sounded like crap. But most of these recent re-issue CDs have been re-mastered with the latest digital mixing equipments, with careful consideration for sonic quality and dynamics.

I've just started to re-collect many of the older 'classic' albums. They just sound fantastic on my JBLs!

Steve K

Consecration: The Bill Evans Trio

The best piano jazz I have ever heard, and excellent recordings to boot. Japanese CD's in this case, the set is eight discs. The absolute master at the peak of his form, one week before he died.

Get out your SET amps for this one. If you think you know Bill Evans and you haven't heard his later work (1970 on), you don't know Bill Evans. This period makes his classic work seem cute by comparison. And these are his greatest recordings of all.

There is another set of these gigs, The Last Waltz. Haven't heard it yet, but can't wait to.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Hi all,

Just got Nilsson's Nilsson Schmilsson and A Touch of Schmilsson, both re-mastered re-issues. Used to own both LPs back in the 70's, you know with those timeless classics, like Without You and Coconut. Well, they're still great listens now as they were back then, espcially when these re-masterings are just sonically fantastic! Plus they've got bonus tracks that were taken originally with the final tracks, mostly of demo nature, like Nilsson singing Without You with just a piano accompaniment, not to mention Spanish and Italian language versions of that song, or Coconut with just a guitar.

On Re-mastered Re-issues: Over the past couple of years, maybe starting from around the mid-90's, there have been many, many re-issues of 'classic' titles, a welcome trend for those of us who've owned the original LPs and have wanted to hear them again, but couldn't or didn't because either one didn't want to bother with all the idiosyncracies of analog players or the re-issued CDs just sounded like crap. But most of these recent re-issue CDs have been re-mastered with the latest digital mixing equipments, with careful consideration for sonic quality and dynamics.

I've just started to re-collect many of the older 'classic' albums. They just sound fantastic on my JBLs!

Steve K
    I agree with this assessment overall. Some guys don't like the whole remaster/reissue thing, but I do.

Ravel: Daphnis et Cloé
    Recorded 1955
    Living Stereo SACD

Beautiful in any respect.

Bill Evans

There is another set of these gigs, The Last Waltz. Haven't heard it yet, but can't wait to. Clark in Peoria[/quote]

I really like all I've ever heard of Bill Evans, but, unfortunately, nearly $200 for "Consecration" is more than I can spend right now--by "another set of these gigs," do you mean that the same material is available on "The Last Waltz," or that it is other material from the same sessions?

Good News, Whizzer, there is more

Other material from the same sessions. Consecration is "The final recordings Part 2." The Last Waltz was apparently issued first. Both collections are unique and contain different songs. One collection is the first sets from each of the eight nights; the other is the second sets. I can second the reviews that he didn't repeat himself. Each rendering of each song on any night is different from any other night. This is a real feast.

Try Googling the titles and many reviews will come up. Some are on sale sites. Note that prices go to about ninety dollars. Even better prices may occur on ebay, I don't know.

Some of the material I found is quite touching. For instance, recollections of his sidemen wondering how he mustered the effort to play at all, never mind at the incredible level he did, when he was for most purposes already dead physically. I guess he was determined to make the best of his last opportunities to make music, to move beyond what even he had already accomplished. Most reviews I found declare the work probably the pinnacle of piano trio playing, then or now. I know I've never heard anything even close, except other late work from Mr. Evans himself.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Smile Speaking of Bills

Bill Evans is really good, but here's a Bill I like better: Bill Nelson.

Yeah, yeah, I know he's an acquired taste, but it's a taste I acquired a long time ago.

Magnificent Dream People
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information