Page 587 of 721 FirstFirst ... 87487537577585586587588589597637687 ... LastLast
Results 8,791 to 8,805 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Santana – Live at the Fillmore ’68

very nice 2 CD set .... well recorded , somewhat mellower than later incarnations of the group.. a real keeper

a great review ... http://blogcritics.org/music-review-...a-live-at-the/

After their legendary performance at Woodstock in the late summer of 1969, and their blistering self titled debut album, Santana would skyrocket to much deserved stardom and cement a place in rock history. But here, in the warm sounding Fillmore West in December of 1968, we get a very young and hungry Santana trying to find their way. The results couldn’t be more spectacular.

The first thing that knocks me over about this set is the sound, which is absolutely superb. Rich and warm, the sound captured that night in the Fillmore West is immaculately recorded and the stereo separation between the instruments, the percussion in particular, is stunning. Any early Santana fan should thank the stars that someone, somewhere, had the good sense to hit the record button as this is going to be one fantastic night of music (it sounds especially nice in headphones).

First out of the gate is a pulsating version of “Jingo” that seems to contain even more liquid fire than the later studio version found on their debut album. You can hear the percussion trickle in as the bass picks up the back beat and lays a solid foundation for Carlos to soar in with his psychedelic leads. The band grooves along and swings nicely without a care in the world and the polite West coast crowd is highly appreciative.

“Jingo,” with its constant pulsing rhythm, really sets the tone for the rest of the set which focuses mostly on hypnotic grooves and almost meditative song structures. The songs are all stretched as far as they can go and the band gets deep into the cut whenever they can. This usually leads to some excellent percussion breaks with congas and bass throwing the stage afire amidst the swashing leads of organist and pianist Greg Rolie. The band’s ability to alter all perception of what music is supposed to be, especially back in 1968, is astounding.

Speaking of Rolie, he is on fire throughout and, as I mentioned in my review of Tanglewood 1970, he almost steals the entire show away from Carlos. Where some of Carlos’ solos sound restrained and somewhat safe, Rolie is completely unhinged, setting his Hammond B3 organ ablaze with a fury. Not that Carlos isn’t bringing some amazing leads to the table, he is, it’s just that whenever Rolie comes on my ears prick up and I find myself studying the playing just a little more. Of course I have been on a B3 kick lately. Special mention needs to be made here of both Rolie’s and Carlos’ spectacular performances on “Treat,” the two musicians locking together beautifully in the late night atmosphere of the jam.

One of the truly exciting things about hearing these ’68 sets are all the great early and rare gems the band throws out. Throughout the discs we are treated to rarities such as the always mysterious, late night jazz tinged “Fried Neckbones,” the San Francisco styled funk of “Chunk A Funk,” and the great instrumental “Conquistadore Rides Again,” where Rolie and Carlos again mesh musically as if they had been playing together for decades. There is also an early version of “Persuasion” that features a blistering intro played in the San Francisco acid rock style but with a nice touch of Santana styled flavor.

We are also treated to a very rare 30 minute version of “Freeway” which may just be the most hypnotic song on here full of long drum solos, bass solos, and any other solo you can think of (I will admit that the actual drum solo is a bit tame, but remember that spastic drummer Michael Shrieve, featured in the 1969 Woodstock performance of “Soul Sacrifice,” has yet to join the band). Still, it is one amazing performance by all with Carlos bringing some particularly fiery guitar leads into the mix throughout the duration of the jam.

Santana Live at the Fillmore ’68 has been a favorite of mine for years and is highly recommended for any Santana fan. I can also recommend it for any fan of percussion heavy music in general as it is wholly satisfying and far from the watered down Santana of later years. The hypnotic, mesmerizing grooves and pulsing rhythms are sure to keep anyone grooving along throughout the night and there is much to be found deep within the musical layers.

Highly recommended.

Disc One:
    “Jingo” – 9:38
    “Persuasion” – 7:05
    “Treat” – 9:37
    “Chunk a Funk” – 5:58
    “Fried Neckbones” – 10:09
    “Conquistadore Rides Again” – 8:40

Disc Two:
    “Soul Sacrifice” – 14:29
    “As the Years Go By” – 7:49
    “Freeway” – 30:15
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Jennifer Warnes, Shot Through The Heart, 1979, Arista Germany, 201 137

This is the strong voice beside Leonard Cohen.
    This is the strange cover art by Kosh.
    Anybody able to explain the meaning of these pictures. Nonsense?
    So let's forget it and listen to the beautiful song track B1 "I'm restless". Blondie Chaplin, guitars.
    Last edited by Fritz The Cat; 11-30-2016 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Writing error
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Black Oak Arkansas, Race With The Devil, 1977, Capricorn USA, CPN 0191

Not twin guitars, but trio guitars by Jimmy Henderson, Jack Holder and Greg Reding: listen to the title track A1: smokin'!
    Underrated powerful voice: J.D. Mangrum.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Mike Porcaro Brotherly Love

Name:  Mike.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  34.0 KB

Featuring:

Steve Gadd
    Joe Porcaro
    Bernard Purdie
    Gregg Bissonette
    John "JR" Robinson
    David Paich
    Steve Porcaro
    David Garfield
    Glenn Hughes
    Bobby Kimball
    Joseph Williams
    Alex Ligertwood
    Lenny Castro
    Larry Klimas
    Walt Fowler
    Phil Perry
    and many more!
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Jennifer Warnes, Shot In The Dark, 1979, Arista Germany, 201 137

Ummm, the cover & label says "Shot through the heart"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Family - Bandstand
    (1972, United Artists)

Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

The Tony Rice Unit - Manzanita
    (1978, Rounder) Artisan symbol in the deadwax

tasty bluegrass, this is my favorite of the Tony Rice records I've heard. The playing is tight and they really stretch out. The sound quality is excellent.

The Kinks - The Live Kinks
    (1967, Reprise) -1B/-1C

Writing error

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Ummm, the cover & label says "Shot through the heart"
    Thanks for your alertness. I have revised this error.
    Funny.... this was a typical "Freudian slip": i still don't understand the meaning of the cover picture art. I still think it's some kind of a "shot in the dark"......

Family, Bandstand, 1972, See For Miles, England, SEE 241

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Family - Bandstand
    (1972, United Artists)

English 1988 reissue. No cut-out gimmix cover. Good dynamics.
    Remarkable because of John Wetton's melodious bass playing. He left Family soon after.
    Error: "Made in France".

The Good Old Boys - Pistol Packin' Mama
    (1976, Rounder)

produced by Jerry Garcia.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post

English 1988 reissue. No cut-out gimmix cover. Good dynamics.
    Remarkable because of John Wetton's melodious bass playing. He left Family soon after.
    Error: "Made in France".
    an interesting record with great playing especially in places where they stretch out.

Brewer & Shipley - Welcome To Riddle Bridge
    (1975, Capitol)

recorded at Quadrafonic Sound Studios, Nashville with lots of Nashville regulars - Norbert Putnam, Kenny Buttrey, Charley McCoy, David Briggs

Brewer & Shipley, Welcome To Riddle Bridge, 1975, Capitol USA, ST-11402

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Brewer & Shipley - Welcome To Riddle Bridge
    (1975, Capitol)

recorded at Quadrafonic Sound Studios, Nashville with lots of Nashville regulars - Norbert Putnam, Kenny Buttrey, Charley McCoy, David Briggs

Let's not forget to mention one of the "Memphis Boys": Reggie Young, guitars. Listen to his guitar playing on track A1
    "Commercial success" and (naturally) on Elvis' "From Elvis in Memphis".

Buster Poindexter, Same, 1987, RCA Germany, PL 86633

He's not a Frank Sinatra, but it's all good clean fun to listen to him and his jazzy/funky musicians. He once was a member of the notorious "New York Dolls":
    Buster Poindexter is David Johannsen!
    Listen to Brasil carneval rhythms on track B5 "Cannibal" and to the majestic track B6 "Heart of gold".
    A lost gem.

Thread Information