Page 56 of 721 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156556 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Playing Now

The best of Fourplay...

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I've been listening to "gypsy queen" and "a child is coming" and it just hit me......I really like controlled feedback. Its like a unique instrument when done right.

Ooops...I guess this post belongs in the "feedback forum" ?
    I love controlled feedback, and practice it whenever possible. Must be annoying to listen to me practice, though...

The band 'School Of Fish' used it a lot, among others. Their first album is a favorite of mine, "Human Cannonball" (their second album) less so but still good with really chewy guitar tones. The drum/percussion sounds on the song "Fuzzed & Faded" are pretty large, too.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    I love controlled feedback, and practice it whenever possible. je
    Cool , I'm glad someone else does , too.

I was referring to Santana on "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen" and Jefferson Starship "A child is born/It's getting Better".

Both are really, really done well.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

re-meeting an old friend

I just got finished making a cd from an old LP I haven't had a chance to hear for awhile and listened to it in the car on my way to work this morning--Super Session, Michael Bloomfield, Steven Stills, and Al Kooper with an equally stellar supporting cast--it reconfirmed my long-standing estimation of this recording's version of "Season of the Witch" as the best I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    I just got finished making a cd from an old LP I haven't had a chance to hear for awhile and listened to it in the car on my way to work this morning--Super Session, Michael Bloomfield, Steven Stills, and Al Kooper with an equally stellar supporting cast--it reconfirmed my long-standing estimation of this recording's version of "Season of the Witch" as the best I've heard.
    agreed. that cut always gets put on my pod, along with Bloomfield in Blood,Sweat and Tears "I love you more than you'll ever know"

XM was playing STEPHEN STILLS - Man Alive "The Spanish Suite"....was really quite good, not what you expect from him.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins - The Constipation Blues

( Tired of the same ol' crap ?? I guarantee this is different from anything you have ever heard )

JBL 4645
    Composer (Howard Shore) was voted number 1 in yesterday’s top 50, countdown voted by the listeners of Classic FM as best movie score “The Lord of the Rings”. I think this is the second year running now.

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    There's also a remastered CD version that includes some extras like the version without the "horns added as an afterthought". Sounds weird after all these years. Still one of my favorites. The back story in the re-released CD is amusing, about how Bloomfield failed to show up for the second day in the studio so Stills was called in on an emergency basis.

News to Me

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    There's also a remastered CD version that includes some extras like the version without the "horns added as an afterthought". Sounds weird after all these years. Still one of my favorites. The back story in the re-released CD is amusing, about how Bloomfield failed to show up for the second day in the studio so Stills was called in on an emergency basis.
    Now that's a tidbit I didn't know. Given Bloomfield's early efforts to combine rock-blues sensibilities with jazz (which had been attempted by Love, as well), I'd never have thought of the horns as "afterthoughts." I got the remastered version you mentioned, and I have to say you're right--after listening all these years and not realizing the "afterthought" nature of the horns, it sounds weird to me without them.

Dr John

Nothing wrong with the other versions, but Season of the Witch by Dr John and the Blues Brothers Band gets my number one vote. Then again, my taste in music sends people running from the room.

I saw Bloomfield live in Chicago. He was really most excellent, but I think Stills was/is probably the more talented musician. Saw him live in Buffalo Springfield and CSNY's first non-Woodstock concert. They actually said, "We've never played together before!"

Missed Stills with Manassas for lack of a few dollars for a ticket. It was in the Bradley University fieldhouse, and almost nobody showed. It was reported to me that he said something like, "At least you bothered to show up. Well, we're going to give you one hell of a show." And they did, one of the best ever.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the other versions, but Season of the Witch by Dr John and the Blues Brothers Band gets my number one vote. Then again, my taste in music sends people running from the room.

I saw Bloomfield live in Chicago. He was really most excellent, but I think Stills was/is probably the more talented musician. Saw him live in Buffalo Springfield

Clark in Peoria
    gotta agree that stills was a huge part of the reason that csny made some great music.glad to hear that it plays in peoria.im hot and cold w/dr john on any given day but as far as the blues bros albums go i just could not find anything that improved on the originals.id take sam and dave any old day.crosby and nash only make it for me in the context of their other bands and the solo stuff just eludes me.young is still the go to guy for me and has been since ,well, forever

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post

Missed Stills with Manassas for lack of a few dollars for a ticket. It was in the Bradley University fieldhouse, and almost nobody showed. It was reported to me that he said something like, "At least you bothered to show up. Well, we're going to give you one hell of a show." And they did, one of the best ever.

Clark in Peoria
    Yeah - I caught Stills Manassas tour when he played Meriweather Post pavilion in Maryland (Fri Aug 11, 1972 - I have a scary collection of ticket stubbs) Very fine show - I still enjoy that first Manassas album...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    ...young is still the go to guy for me and has been since ,well, forever
    I have to confess, I'm busted. I have been such a huge fan of Neil Young for so long it is almost embarassing to talk about it. He has been my favorite musician and favorite songsmith for most of the last thirty-nine years. As much as twenty years at a time. If I had not been turned on to heavy jazz in 1975 or so, I am not sure I would have other musicians to call heroes.

I feel so strongly about the talent of Neil Young I rarely speak of it. Kind of private, like faith. I suppose some of you feel the same way about a musician or two you have been exposed to by life's circumstances. The power that music has to move a soul is truly a wonder.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Sara Tavares ... (Portuguese?).
    Not my usual fare, but I'm enjoying it.
    Title track

Balancê

convinced me to purchase...

-grumpy

Thread Information