Page 542 of 721 FirstFirst ... 42442492532540541542543544552592642 ... LastLast
Results 8,116 to 8,130 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Brewer & Shipley - Down In L.A.
    (1968, A&M)

debut LP. some pretty great session players here Leon Russell, Jim Messina, Jim Gordon, Hal Blaine. I hadn't seen this one before - their later stuff is great, so I grabbed this the other day.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Siegel-Schwall Band, R.I.P., 1974, Line Germany, 6.24217 AP

After 4 1/2 years, the band departed in February of 1974. So, logically (!?), in March they went into the studio and recorded some tunes they always wanted to do....
    Listen to track B1 (the old Coasters tune), Leiber & Stoller's "I'm a hog for you baby" and the cool shuffling blues B4, Muddy Waters' song "Long distance calling", which is played only with electric piano, voice and bass.
    Some fine old tunes!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Translation

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    "Perform an act in a perfunctory, uncommitted fashion, as if it didn't matter." I think the phrase originated as a reference to someone using a phone call to deliver their work rather than going into the office.
    OK. Now i understand. Some kind of "monday morning work"? A quick shot? A rush job?
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Ben Sidran, The Doctor Is In, 1977, Arista US, AL 4131

Tony Williams drums & Blue Mitchell trumpet & Larry Carlton guitars had much fun at Davlen studios,L.A.
    Swinging. Cool. Why does the doctor sleep?
    Listen to B5, the Mingus tune "Good bye pork pie hat".
    Track B6 "Be nice": Some great words by the doctor: "Be nice to the people on the way up, you're gonna see them on the way back down. Be nice to your mother, your sister too. Because they're the only girls who love a fool like you."!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Brewer & Shipley - Down In L.A.
    debut LP. some pretty great session players here Leon Russell, Jim Messina, Jim Gordon, Hal Blaine. I hadn't seen this one before - their later stuff is great, so I grabbed this the other day.
    I really, really enjoy their "Tarkio" . Not a bad cut on the whole album , but picked up "Weeds" and was much less impressed.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    What a beautiful song! Listen to the guitar work of Robbie Krieger.
    The DOORS are an all time fave for me. Saw them live in 1968, tho their show was poor
    (Morrison was drunk or stoned). The opening act "The Chambers Brothers" did a much better performance. I'll look around my HD and see if the pics are still here.

Here is an interesting clip where Jim hears of his own death while driving his GT-500 in the desert.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDAmweqwMSM

I have their GH album in quad and it sounds pretty good. But the best they've ever sounded is on a remastered CD The Future Starts Here: The Essential Doors Hits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fu...ial_Doors_Hits

found one
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The Fireballs - Come On, React!
    (1969, Atco) WLP

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I really, really enjoy their "Tarkio" . Not a bad cut on the whole album , but picked up "Weeds" and was much less impressed.
    Yep, they hit the sweet spot for me too with that record - killer stuff and so much more than their hit song One Toke Over The Line.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    OK. Now i understand. Some kind of "monday morning work"? A quick shot? A rush job?
    Yes, that's correct and that's what I think about the Dave Mason Scrapbook album art :|

I heard it was a nice Saturday in Switzerland? I received a picture from family, Lake Lucerne in the background - will be here in a couple of months to hit the hiking trails, sample the beer & cheese.

Pearl Jam - No Code
    (1996, Epic)

Recycling a picture from a few years ago. One of those $1 garage sale finds that made up for all the baby clothes & moldy Jane Fonda workout records.

adding a picture of the LP's label:

Various Artists, Tell Me Something, 1996, Verve EU, 533 203-1

Van Morrison, Georgie Fame, Mose Allison and Ben Sidran celebrate the songs of Mose Allison. What a perfect team......
    Great sunny sunday morning tunes, arent' they?
    "Perfect Moment" track B7 says: " Mona Lisa smile/one such perfect moment/makes it all worthwhile".
    I'm a little bit scared about the fact, that this vinyl is 20 years old already! 20 years of many perfect moments. Don't mind the lesser ones......
    P.S.: Don't forget: Mona Lisa smiles since 500 years.

Les Sauterelles, Heavenly Club, 1968, Ariola Switzerland, RI 1981, 204 043

The "Swiss Beatles" in 1968. Very good 1981 reissue Swiss pressing with fine dynamics. A classic (for Switzerland) that puts a smile into your face.
    They still are on the road here......So are we. Still going strong. But a bit more slowly.

2 Books

Concerning my last post, i want to introduce two essential books about rock&pop music in Switzerland. Written in german language.
    Swiss pop music of the sixties was very much influenced by the english music scene. Funny: the beat bands had splendid names: The Countdowns, Bull Train Skiffle Group, The Black Caps, The Baracudas, The Black Lions, The Red Lions, and so on, all sorts of wild animals.
    Worldshaking......

SNAFU, All Funked Up, 1975, Capitol Great Britain, E-ST 11473

Situation normal? No.
    Micky Moody plays all guitars. Bobby Harrison: strong (underrated) voice! Horns by Mel Collins & Co. Funky blues!
    Listen to track A5 "Every little bit hurts". Sunday evening blues. SNAFU.
    Once again: great slide guitar work by Micky Moody.
    English pressing with poor dynamics.

SNAFU, Situation Normal, 1974, WWA England, WWA 013

Superb guitar playing by Micky Moody. Great slide guitar. What about the airplane in the church hall? SNAFU?

Thread Information