Page 525 of 721 FirstFirst ... 25425475515523524525526527535575625 ... LastLast
Results 7,861 to 7,875 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Change Up The Groove
    (1974, Polydor) STERLING RL in the deadwax, mastered by Robert Ludwig

This is mostly too smooth, I need some grit in my cup of tea. Some funky moments and some vibraphone to listen to while taking a break from the awesomeness that is this years NCAA basketball tournament march madness.

3/4 of my final four picks in my bracket are still going but the outer branches are badly broken by several upsets including N. Iowa's buzzer beater finish over Texas last night:

Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

The Meters - Cabbage Alley
    (1972, Reprise)

lots of groove and grit here, and a soulful cover of Neil Young's Birds. Nice

NOT playing now

too beat up to torture my stylus , but had never seen .... so grabbed it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Stylus

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Hey, your pick up has no problem with a dirty vinyl single.........
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Stylus

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

Your stylus ist harder than dirt! No matter.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Michael Nesmith - From A Radio Engine To The Photon Wing
    (1977, Pacific Arts)

A fun find at a Goodwill thrift store yesterday for 50cents, green tags were 50% off. I think I have all the 70's Nesmith solo LPs and may already have this one, but it's been awhile since I've listened. Great songs with profound & witty lyrics - I forgot how enjoyable these Nesmith LPs are.

Michael Nesmith, From A Radio Engine To The Photon Wing, 1977, Metronome D, 60.236

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Michael Nesmith - From A Radio Engine To The Photon Wing
    (1977, Pacific Arts)

A fun find at a Goodwill thrift store yesterday for 50cents, green tags were 50% off. I think I have all the 70's Nesmith solo LPs and may already have this one, but it's been awhile since I've listened. Great songs with profound & witty lyrics - I forgot how enjoyable these Nesmith LPs are.
    The german pressing looks like this. Lonnie Mack guitar!

Krautrock

Anybody interested in Krautrock????

Clannad, Magical Ring, 1983, RCA D, PL 70003

Good Friday music. A quiet one. Good german pressing.

Collin Walcott, Cloud Dance, 1976, ECM D, 1062 ST

Perfect ECM studio conditions. Produced by Manfred Eicher at Tonstudio Bauer, Ludwigsburg, Germany. This is one of my pick up test LP's. Superb german pressing. 40 years old first quality vinyl. You may listen to this one loud. No disturbing noises! John Abercrombie guitar. Dave Holland bass. Jack DeJohnette drums.

Graham Parker And The Rumour, The Parkerilla, 1978, Mercury US, SRM2-100, 2LP

3 sides live. Side D is only one track: a 33rpm alternate studio version of "Don't ask me questions". Disappointing dynamics. The drums as example are not really existent with the typical charcteristics. Only muffled "boom boom boom" is not the drum sound that we may expect from a good live sound. Deadwax inscription: MASTERDISK sf. Does anybody own a better sounding version of this one?

Streetheart, Quicksand Shoes, 1980, WEA CAN, XWEA 92005

Canadian band produced by guitarist Manny Charlton of Nazareth. Is anybody able to explain the terms "Streetheart" and "Quicksand shoes": two impossible things? Streetheart as a synonym for "Middle of the road music"? It's MOR rock indeed, isn't it? What did Manny Charlton do in the studio?

Larry Carlton, On Solid Ground, 1989, MCA US, 6237

Concerning my last post: this one is built on solid ground. Listen to beautiful track A4: the instrumental version of Clapton's song "Layla".
    The liner notes on back cover say: "This album was almost killed by a gunshot, but it was saved by God, prayers, friends, doctors, therapists, more prayers and months of healing. Special thanks to God for a new life and to thousands of people who prayed for my survival."
    Concerning this note: in 1988 he was shot down in front of his studio and badly wounded at his neck.

Cal Smith, It's Time To Pay The Fiddler, 1975, MCA US, MCA 467

Smoking cigarettes is very important for a good voice but it's very expensive. But while making successful records, you may buy big rings for your fingers. The hairdresser also should be payed and the photographer waits for his payment. Sadly, after all that, there's no more money left for an acceptably good front cover picture art.......
    I only payed 3 SFr. for this one in the thrift store last week. I didn't catch this one because of the dreadful front cover picture, but because of Reggie Young's lead guitar playing. Hope he was payed for his studio work........

Ekseption, Bingo, 1974, exlibris Austria, PH 6858 060

Mastermind Rick Van der Linden had left the classic-rock group from Holland. The new formula showed a more jazzy concept. With little success. But for me this one was very important because it opened the doors into Jazz music. Superb pressing from Austro Mechana in Austria for the Swiss club edition label "exlibris". For vinyl pressings "exlibris" was a cult label then and today they are very sought after because of their quality and superb dynamics. They produced only little amounts of pressings using the mastertapes.Thanks to Austria!

Thread Information