Page 517 of 721 FirstFirst ... 17417467507515516517518519527567617 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,755 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Cannonball Adderley Sextet, Nippon Soul, 1963, Riverside US, OJC-435

First record by an American Jazz group in Japan, as Cannonball introduces at the beginning of this LP. I always liked his introductions. Joe Zawinul was the future of Jazz then. Recorded in concert in Tokyo July 14 and 15, 1963. US 1990 reissue. Superb pressing. Pete Townsend was deeply impressed by the short track B1 "Tengo Tango", as he writes in his autobiography.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Vince Guaraldi - Jazz Impressions
    (1964, Fantasy) late 70's reissue

Nice music to ease into the weekend.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Osibisa - s/t
    (1971, Decca)

smoking R&B/afro pop. a nice debut followed by Woyaya, released the same year. inner gatefold:

Vince Guaraldi, Jazz Impressions, 1964, Fantasy US, OJC 287

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Vince Guaraldi - Jazz Impressions
    (1964, Fantasy) late 70's reissue

Nice music to ease into the weekend.
    Calming one. US 1987 reissue. Eddie Duran guitar. Interesting cool guitar playing. These 1987 reissues had superb dynamics. Your US pressing is probably from 1978: i can see the picture of 1975 Cannonball Adderley's "Phenix" on inner sleeve. (See my post of January 25, 2016)
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Tony Visconti

Osibisa - s/t
    (1971, Decca)

smoking R&B/afro pop. a nice debut followed by Woyaya, released the same year. inner gatefold:

The producer was Tony Visconti. Engineer Roy Thomas Baker. Art work by Roger Dean. This one is an italian MCA pressing. Good dynamics though it's a little bit mistreated. Not by me.....

Cannonball Adderley, Coast To Coast, 1977, Milestone US, 2LP, M-47039

Sides A and B were recorded at the Jazz Workshop San Francisco, 1959. Quintet with Bobby Timmons on piano. This was a bestseller.
    Sides C and D were recorded at the Village Vanguard, New York, 1962. Sextet with Joe Zawinul on piano. This is an essential one.
    Remastered 1977 by David Turner. Listen to the informative and funny introductions by Julian Adderley. Extensive liner notes by Dick Katz.
    Two milestones of 20th century music.....

so Pandora is just rolling along,

I don't usually read their screens, but did notice this:

These are words that go together well
    My Michelle
    Michelle, ma belle

show more
    About The Beatles
    So much has been said and written about the Beatles -- and their story is so mythic in its sweep --

Similar Artists
    John Lennon
    George Harrison
    Paul McCartney
    Creedence Clearwater Revival

CCR is similar to The Beatles I guess they mean number of members ? number of stereo channels ? other than that I can't see too many similarities
    CCR is similar, but Ringo isn't ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Beck Bogert Appice - s/t
    (1973, Epic) -1A/-1B, STERLING RL in the deadwax, mastered by Robert Ludwig

nice sound quality/low frequency ....and quite a cover of Stevie Wonder's Superstition.

Beck Bogert Appice, Same, 1973, Epic UK, EPC 65455

Beck Bogert Appice - s/t
    (1973, Epic) -1A/-1B, STERLING RL in the deadwax, mastered by Robert Ludwig

nice sound quality/low frequency ....and quite a cover of Stevie Wonder's Superstition.
    English original 1973 pressing looks like this. 3 tracks produced by Don Nix. Beck definitively not in best form. Overrated?
    Last edited by Fritz The Cat; 02-10-2016 at 10:41 AM. Reason: writing error

Steve Earle & The Dukes, I Ain't Ever Satisfied, 1988, MCA UK, MCAT 1249

45rpm maxi single. 2 tracks from LP "Exit O" and one track from "Guitar Town". Listen to track B2 "My old friend the blues". Listen loud. Great sound. Great poet: read his impressive book "I'll never get out of this world alive" and remember Jim Morrison: No one gets here out alive.
    Last edited by Fritz The Cat; 02-11-2016 at 10:38 AM. Reason: writing error

Rory Gallagher - Top Priority
    (1979, Chrysalis)

According with Wikipedia was titled Top Priority because Chrysalis promised RG to make it their top priority for marketing. Killer blues guitar rock, turn it up!

Rory Gallagher, Top Priority, 1979, Chrysalis D, 6307 669

Rory Gallagher - Top Priority
    (1979, Chrysalis)

According with Wikipedia was titled Top Priority because Chrysalis promised RG to make it their top priority for marketing. Killer blues guitar rock, turn it up!
    The german pressing. The problem of this one: there was not really any song on this LP. Do you recall any song? Which one do you recommend? A tragedy: the master of stratocaster without any songs......
    Last edited by Fritz The Cat; 02-12-2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: writing error

RG - Top Priority

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    The german pressing. The problem of this one: there was not really any song on this LP. Do you recall any song? Which one do you recommend? A tragedy: the master of stratocaster without any songs......
    I like the record, but I like most of his records and his earlier work with Taste. I think it's full of songs with great hooks and guitar licks - Follow Me and Bad Penny, for example. Impressive songwriting - he was able to write so many interesting songs right after coming off a tour and an earlier record.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
    (1973, Harvest) WLY in the deadwax, both sides - mastered by Wally Traugott

a classic that I can remember buying new in 1973. I can enjoy a few passages now but unfortunately 43+ years of repeated listening = over-exposure. My college-age son enjoys the music and it has been fun comparing notes on the record with him.

Pink Floyd, The Dark Side Of The Moon, 1973, Harvest D, Quadrophonie, 1C062-05249 Q D

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
    (1973, Harvest) WLY in the deadwax, both sides - mastered by Wally Traugott

a classic that I can remember buying new in 1973. I can enjoy a few passages now but unfortunately 43+ years of repeated listening = over-exposure. My college-age son enjoys the music and it has been fun comparing notes on the record with him.
    So did i. Finally there are 6 copies and 2 CD's in my collection: diverse pressings from England, Germany, Italy, Japan (CD), America (CD). Interesting comparisons are possible. But IMHO there's no doubt about it: vinyl is not approachable by CD. Perhaps i'm not the right person to be objective enough for this statement. I have to confess, that my ears are somewhat calibrated to vinyl sounds: since 1970, when i bought my first Pink Floyd LP "Atom heart mother". This is a german Quadrophonie version. SQ standards: anybody may explain SQ?

Thread Information