Page 503 of 721 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513553603 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,545 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Emitt Rhodes, Same, 1970, Dunhill US, DS 50089

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    The Merry Go Round - s/t
    (1967, A&M) Monarch symbol in the deadwax

Nice, terrific sonics, very hot and dynamic. Emitt Rhodes band includes guys who played on the Gene Clark & The Gosdin Brothers LP, and The Leaves. Time Will Show The Wiser - I'm familiar with it from Fairport Convention's first album. I didn't know it was written by Emitt Rhodes.

This is a surprising thrift store find last week. the Pay n' Save price tag was from a local retail drug store chain which was founded in 1940 and folded in the early 80s.

Thank you for the tip with the lucky "Merry-go-round" thrift store find. Condition/Price? This one was the first solo LP by Emitt Rhodes: listen to the wonderful song on track A3 " She's such a beauty": surely a 100% number 1 hit in the charts, if it would have been recorded by Paul McCartney.......It's a tragedy: nobody noticed..... Nobody? No, there's a little town in Switzerland where some interested vinyl freak found this one in a thrift store in the nineties for 4 SFr..... Look at the back cover picture and notice: if you leave your appartement, be sure to keep your Gibson ES 335 always at your side!!!! Don't leave it at home. Luckily there only was one volume knob missed in action......
    Look at the Deadwax inscriptions: did you ever see a more beautiful one? Every inscription is surrounded by a banner full of verve "Recorded at home"! I have only two questions: did Paul McCartney take notice of this record? And where is the Gibson ES 335 today?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Tragedy of members of the music industry

The Merry Go Round - s/t
    (1967, A&M) Monarch symbol in the deadwax

Nice, terrific sonics, very hot and dynamic. Emitt Rhodes band includes guys who played on the Gene Clark & The Gosdin Brothers LP, and The Leaves. Time Will Show The Wiser - I'm familiar with it from Fairport Convention's first album. I didn't know it was written by Emitt Rhodes.

This is a surprising thrift store find last week. the Pay n' Save price tag was from a local retail drug store chain which was founded in 1940 and folded in the early 80s.
    Who will build a monument for the tragical victims of the music industry? They tell you: (look at the picture from inner sleeve of Emitt Rhodes "Mirror" LP! And after that?
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Champion Jack Dupree, I'm Happy To Be Free, 1972, Vogue F, SLD 828

Born in New Orleans (4.7.1910), raised in an orphanhome, World-boxing-Champion in lightweight (1933-1941), Navy-cook under the command of President Kennedy, prisoner of war in Japan, Blues-interpret, father and one of the greatest entertainers (cit.: back cover lyrics by Freddy J. Angstmann). So he knew the ups and downs of life and had lived with the Blues.....

Karla Bonoff, Restless Nights, 1979, CBS NE, 83 587

Russ Kunkel and Rick Marotta drums, Waddy Wachtel, Danny Kortchmar and David Lindley guitars, Andrew Gold piano. Great Jackie DeShannon song A4 "When you walk in the room" with backing vocals by Jackie DeShannon. Listen to Garth Hudson playing french style accordeon solo on track B4 "The water is wide". "Restless nights" is a calm melodious record. So you may avoid restless nights.....

Rhinoceros, Better Times Are Coming, 1970, Elektra US, EKS 74075

John Finley: great voice. What has become of his singing career? Better times coming? Wonderful cover art. Varied hammond-dominated east coast rock with soul music influences. Was Rhinoceros kind of a "supergroup" then?

Original or reissue?

Brotherhood - s/t
    (1967, RCA)

Drake Levin, Phil Volk and Smitty's first record after they left Paul Revere & The Raiders.
    Do you think, that this is an original? If the label is yellow, it's not an original, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Thank you for the tip with the lucky "Merry-go-round" thrift store find. Condition/Price? This one was the first solo LP by Emitt Rhodes: listen to the wonderful song on track A3 " She's such a beauty": surely a 100% number 1 hit in the charts, if it would have been recorded by Paul McCartney.......It's a tragedy: nobody noticed..... Nobody? No, there's a little town in Switzerland where some interested vinyl freak found this one in a thrift store in the nineties for 4 SFr..... Look at the back cover picture and notice: if you leave your appartement, be sure to keep your Gibson ES 335 always at your side!!!! Don't leave it at home. Luckily there only was one volume knob missed in action......
    Look at the Deadwax inscriptions: did you ever see a more beautiful one? Every inscription is surrounded by a banner full of verve "Recorded at home"! I have only two questions: did Paul McCartney take notice of this record? And where is the Gibson ES 335 today?

Yeah I love it when those rare records turn up in great condition. It's often a tragic discovery when the record is trashed. The Merry Go Round LP's cover is still in shrink wrap and the record looks NM- and played a strong VG++. It was $1 US.

Its cool you have that Rhodes solo LP. I have that one and his other early solo LP. I agree with the McCartney comparisons. What a talent.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Brotherhood LP

Do you think, that this is an original? If the label is yellow, it's not an original, isn't it?
    Its a poor photo / lighting - the label is the original RCA orange. Another recent crazy $1 thrift store find in VG++ shape.

Future Games

English Kinney pressing. Poor dynamics. Deadwax inscription: "Porky". Dumb cover art and photographs. Concerning the disappointing dynamics: do you hear some hi hats or cymbals of the drumming work on title track? I don't. Only the guitar tunes are more or less clear. Is it because of the pressing or the recording conditions? How is your US pressing? Somewhat boring song material, isn't it? This is a good example of minor producer efforts. Look at the pictures on back cover: depressive consternation all around because of too annoying studio conditions? Hey, Christine, show me a smile! Track B4.
    Yes, disappointing dynamics especially on Show Me A Smile (love those Christine songs) and the Bob Welch title track where you want the big sound of the later Fleetwood Mac albums ...but it actually works for me with the subtle moodiness of the Danny Kirwan songs - example Woman Of A Thousand Dreams

The Beatles - Abbey Road
    (1969, Apple) '75 UK pressing

This might be the pressing with the best sound quality that I own. I was thinking it was cool that they named the record after the recording studio. from a Wikipedia article on the record - A working title of the album was Everest, after a brand of cigarettes favoured by Emerick, but the band were reluctant to travel to the Himalayas for a photo session

Beatles, Abbey Road, 1969, Apple Italy, C062-04243

The Beatles - Abbey Road

This might be the pressing with the best sound quality that I own. I was thinking it was cool that they named the record after the recording studio. from a Wikipedia article on the record - A working title of the album was Everest, after a brand of cigarettes favoured by Emerick, but the band were reluctant to travel to the Himalayas for a photo session
    This is the original italian issue. Good dynamics and pressing. Come together: Listen to the buttersoft intro of the drums with the "sshhhht"! One of the most magical moments of music all over many music centuries!!!! Did Ringo Starr know what kind of magical drums he played then? The magician was George Martin!

Beatles, Abbey Road, 1969, Apple UK, PCS 7088 YEX 749/750

The Beatles - Abbey Road

This is the same english issue as you have. YEX 749/750 is a very good pressing. You're right! Listen to the crickets in the intro of "Sun king". If you may hear the crickets clear and naturally as on a summer evening, so you may be sure, it's a superb pressing! Listen also to the clear drums on track "She came in through the bathroom window". Simply fantastic! Don't forget Ringo. He was great: he kept it simple, so it was the best.....

Frank!

Zappa!

I'm an "off & on" Dylan fan, but had never sat and listened to "Oh Mercy"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh_Mercy

the recording and production is first rate. there are 3 tracks that are great for me,
    I get the feeling that the others may grow on me. best that I've heard from Bob
    in a long time,,,excepting "Things have Changed"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I'm an "off & on" Dylan fan, but had never sat and listened to "Oh Mercy"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh_Mercy

the recording and production is first rate. there are 3 tracks that are great for me,
    I get the feeling that the others may grow on me. best that I've heard from Bob
    in a long time,,,excepting "Things have Changed"
    Love it!

Thread Information