Page 502 of 721 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504512552602 ... LastLast
Results 7,516 to 7,530 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Jessi Colter, That's The Way A Cowboy Rocks And Rolls, 1978, Capitol US, ST 11863

That's WHY (!) a cowboy rocks and rolls: track A1 "Roll on" with JJ Cale guitar. Title track A4 with Tony Joe White guitar. Good US pressing with fine dynamics. This music hands out every useful and important advice for a successful life to all the cowboys (and -girls?). Unfortunately, I'm not a cowboy.........
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Brenda Lee, Original Favorites, 1977, MCA D, 202 935-241

Great voice. Not successful in Europe/Germany as Connie Francis was in the sixties. Happy New Year to every Little Miss Dynamite!
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

The Judds, Rockin' With The Rhythm, 1985, RCA US, AHL1-7042

I bought this one because of the Mickey Jupp song on track B1 "Tears for you". The seeming twin girls on front cover are mother and daughter! They were very successful with their records. But why did they have to work in the coal mine (Allen Toussaint track A3)? It was a gold mine........Good US pressing.

Ian Matthews, Siamese Friends, 1979, Rockburgh Polydor UK, ROC 107

Impressive keyboard playing by Mick Weaver. Listen to the driving track A3 "Heatwave". Bob Metzger (Leonard Cohen) guitars. Listen also to Mel Collins' sax. Good dynamics and pressing. Deadwax inscription: "Tone" and "Great Buildings" (2x).

Berline Crary Hickman, Now They Are Four, 1989, Sugar Hill US, SH 3773

Very good US pressing with superb dynamics. Masterfonics in the deadwax. Beautiful harmony vocals.

Wrecking crew member?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    The Howard Roberts Quartet - H.R. Is A Dirty Guitar Player
    (1963, Capitol)

\

smokin' jazz guitar from H.R.
    He was part of the famous wrecking crew with Carole Kaye, wasn't he? He also played on Thelonious Monk "Monk's Blues". See one of my next post, after i have listened to all those country LP's, i have bought for 2 SFR last week.

Thelonious Monk, Monk's Blues, 1968, Columbia US, PC 9806

Unpleasant one. I don't understand Monk's strange kind of piano playing. And the orchestra, conducted by Oliver Nelson, sucks at all: so many "wrong" tunes.....P.S.:in my youth i exercised violin playing nearly for 10 years. Not very successfully indeed. I was not allowed to play any wrong tunes! The teachers hit me with their violin bows! I knew, that it's better to stop playing my part in the orchestra, if i couldn't get the right tune. Listen to the inaccurate orchestra tunes at the end of most tracks, especially on track A4
    "Just a glance at love" and the totally wrong tunes by the horns at the end of track A5. Teo Macero didn't check it?
    I put this one on the turntable, because i hoped to find some of Howard Robert's dirty guitar playing tunes. He has no credits on back cover lyrics. He is hardly existent on track A1 and track B3 with some nice comping. But hey, i can hear the typical Fender bass playing by Carole Kaye on track B1 "Consecutive seconds". But there is no dirty guitar playing at all....

Marcia Ball, Gatorhythms, 1989, Rounder CAN, 3101

Highly recommended. No fillers all winners. A great DISCovery. Listen to the wonderful song on track A3 "The power of love". And track A5 "Find another fool" is simply a masterwork of composition and playing. Listen to the empathic guitar work of Stephen Bruton and Derek O'Brien. Is anybody able to explain the meaning of the word "gatorhythms"? Do they have alligators in Austin? 12 SFR. last week in my favorite record shop were not too much money for this find! I have to look for further gatorhythm-music of Marcia Ball....

Fleetwood Mac - Future Games
    (1971, Reprise) MASTERED BY CAPITOL in the deadwax

HNY 2016 everyone. I heard the title track playing last night at a post-hike stop for beers and food with my group, they were playing a bunch of great 70's stuff (Maggie May, Kashmir) of what I was able to pick out above the crowd [Issaquah Brewhouse]. This one is a much loved, many-times-played LP that I purchased in the mid 70s, sounds great.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Howard Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    He was part of the famous wrecking crew with Carole Kaye, wasn't he? He also played on Thelonious Monk "Monk's Blues". See one of my next post, after i have listened to all those country LP's, i have bought for 2 SFR last week.
    He did alot of session work and I'm sure he associated with the WC musicians but don't think he was a regular as Tommy Tedesco was the main guitar guy - with Glen Campbell as well. There's a great new documentary film The Wrecking Crew - put together by Tommy T's son as a tribute to his dad, highly recommended - Delta was showing it in their in-flight rotation last month.

Captain Beyond - s/t
    (1972, Capricorn) non-3D cover

smokin'

The Merry Go Round - s/t
    (1967, A&M) Monarch symbol in the deadwax

Nice, terrific sonics, very hot and dynamic. Emitt Rhodes band includes guys who played on the Gene Clark & The Gosdin Brothers LP, and The Leaves. Time Will Show The Wiser - I'm familiar with it from Fairport Convention's first album. I didn't know it was written by Emitt Rhodes.

This is a surprising thrift store find last week. the Pay n' Save price tag was from a local retail drug store chain which was founded in 1940 and folded in the early 80s.

Brotherhood - s/t
    (1967, RCA)

Drake Levin, Phil Volk and Smitty's first record after they left Paul Revere & The Raiders.

Fleetwood Mac, Future Games, 1971, Reprise UK, K 44153

Fleetwood Mac - Future Games
    (1971, Reprise) MASTERED BY CAPITOL in the deadwax

HNY 2016 everyone. I heard the title track playing last night at a post-hike stop for beers and food with my group, they were playing a bunch of great 70's stuff (Maggie May, Kashmir) of what I was able to pick out above the crowd [Issaquah Brewhouse]. This one is a much loved, many-times-played LP that I purchased in the mid 70s, sounds great.
    English Kinney pressing. Poor dynamics. Deadwax inscription: "Porky". Dumb cover art and photographs. Concerning the disappointing dynamics: do you hear some hi hats or cymbals of the drumming work on title track? I don't. Only the guitar tunes are more or less clear. Is it because of the pressing or the recording conditions? How is your US pressing? Somewhat boring song material, isn't it? This is a good example of minor producer efforts. Look at the pictures on back cover: depressive consternation all around because of too annoying studio conditions? Hey, Christine, show me a smile! Track B4.

Emitt Rhodes, Mirror, 1971, Dunhill US, DSX 50111

The Merry Go Round - s/t
    (1967, A&M) Monarch symbol in the deadwax

Nice, terrific sonics, very hot and dynamic. Emitt Rhodes band includes guys who played on the Gene Clark & The Gosdin Brothers LP, and The Leaves. Time Will Show The Wiser - I'm familiar with it from Fairport Convention's first album. I didn't know it was written by Emitt Rhodes.

This is a surprising thrift store find last week. the Pay n' Save price tag was from a local retail drug store chain which was founded in 1940 and folded in the early 80s.
    What a lucky man you are having found this Merry-go-round LP. How was the condition? The third Solo LP of Emitt Rhodes is a diamond. And it makes you smile, because it's one of the first Beatles LP's that was not made by the Beatles. It's the best Paul McCartney solo record ever, that was not made by Paul McCartney. Look at the pictures on inner fold cover: Emitt Rhodes recorded at home and played all instruments by himself as Paul did on his first solo LP. He plays a well known bass guitar model from germany as Paul mostly did. Impressive song writing and big music fun. A tragedy: Rhodes is totally unknown in Europe until today. What about US? Listen for example to the diverse song on track B3 "Bubble gum the blues/I'm a cruiser": it's not only some kind of usual Merry-go-round......

Thread Information