Page 476 of 721 FirstFirst ... 376426466474475476477478486526576 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,140 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Is the pickup, you have in use, a Moving Coil MC or Moving Magnet MM ? I spent too much money in the last 15 years with MC pickups and i went back to the MM systems, as i earlier used. I had to pay about 1000 SFr. (=USDollars) per year for replacing those expensive and hypersensitive MCs. Now i have costs about 200 SFr. per year with a little less dynamics with the MMs. But i like it this way. It's not only the pickup that matters, its rather the loudspeakers. I have learnt by paying .......
    It's the Benz Micro Wood Body Moving Coil from Switzerland. Yep, pricey but I love the Benz sound, and I moved up from the Ace MC. I use a Fosgate Signature Tube Phono preamp - sublime sound quality. Yes I agree that loudspeakers are important too. I really like what I hear from the JBL 4430 monitors in my room with my system. I'd like to put in some room treatment at some point, but sonics are great now.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Gene Clark, Two Sides To Every Story, 1977, RSO England, 2394 176

Look at the second picture added: he only wants to play.......Only a big number without any meaning stamped into the deadwax......In Europe only Stiff records had funny inscriptions in the deadwax! English pressing with good dynamics. Jerry McGee guitars. Steel pedal guitar by Al Perkins. Doug Dillard banjo. Fiddle by Byron Berline. Emmylou Harris backing voice on track A1 and B1. Most of the tracks this team recorded dated from Clark's rejected Asylum demos and they represented a sort of journey through Gene Clark's past (Cit. Byrd Watcher). Producer: Thomas Jefferson Kaye. See next post.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Thomas Jefferson Kaye, Same, 1973, Probe England, SPB 1074

Very sympathetic musician. Famous producer. On this one he sings and plays guitar. He is also known today as Tommy Kaye. These studio cracks had big fun: Jeff (Skunk) Baxter guitar, Rick Derringer guitar, Walter Becker bass, Donald Fagen vocals. Produced by Gary Katz (Steely Dan, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, Link Wray et al.). Superb english vinyl and pressing. With fat horns and fine background vocals by Clydie King and Venetta Fields (Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Humble Pie etc.). B1"Hole in the shoe blues" is a beautiful swinging tune with orchestra and horns. Very laid back. On track B2 "Snake in the grass" the guitar fills by Rick Derringer build the framework of the song. B3 moody tune "Thanks for nothing". Beautiful piano by Tom Salisbury: a discovery. Does anybody know LPs with the involvement of Tom Salisbury? Here we have only winners, no fillers. Good dynamics in the bass and high tunes. Notice the guitar playing of Rick Derringer.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - American Stars 'n Bars
    (1977, Reprise)

+ The Bullets: Linda Ronstadt, Nicolette Larson & Emmylou Harris

I'm seeing Neil Young tomorrow at the WaMu Theater - the hall is attached to Centurylink Field where the Seahawks play. We'll probably find free parking in Chinatown, it's a 10 minute walk. Getting excited after seeing the setlist at recent stops.

Very sympathetic musician. Famous producer. On this one he sings and plays guitar. He is also known today as Tommy Kaye. These studio cracks had big fun: Jeff (Skunk) Baxter guitar, Rick Derringer guitar, Walter Becker bass, Donald Fagen vocals. Produced by Gary Katz (Steely Dan, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, Link Wray et al.). Superb english vinyl and pressing. With fat horns and fine background vocals by Clydie King and Venetta Fields (Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Humble Pie etc.). B1"Hole in the shoe blues" is a beautiful swinging tune with orchestra and horns. Very laid back. On track B2 "Snake in the grass" the guitar fills by Rick Derringer build the framework of the song. B3 moody tune "Thanks for nothing". Beautiful piano by Tom Salisbury: a discovery. Does anybody know LPs with the involvement of Tom Salisbury? Here we have only winners, no fillers. Good dynamics in the bass and high tunes. Notice the guitar playing of Rick Derringer.
    Nice. Kaye also produce Gene Clark's 1974 title - No Other.

Neil Young - Tonight's The Night
    (1975, Reprise) textured gatefold cover; Hello Waterface / Goodbye Waterface in the deadwax, sides 1/2

Curious run-off markings and hidden messages

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Barclay James Harvest - Everyone is Everybody Else
    (1974, Polydor) UK pressing, VALIUM / ALUMINUM in the deadwax, side 1/2

Nice. Guitars, mellotron, harmonies, interesting songs. read the deadwax inscriptions with a British accent.

Every record tells a story. The inscriptions in the run out area of this english pressing are really interesting. I never noticed these "Aluminum/Valium" inscriptions on my BJH LP until your post here. I couldn't find further informations in the Internet to these curious inscriptions. But there are many interesting forum discussions concerning "Matrix numbers" and "Hidden messages" written into the deadwax. In addition to the LP number there is a stamp as follows: A or B//3 rotated triangle 420 0 and another kind of stamp (production lot?) 11 11 and on B side 11 12
    Polydor and Philips shared a close association. In the '70s their records were pressed at "Phonodisc" in Walthamstow. Cit:: www.7tt77.co.uk "Matrix numbers and other run-off markings". The indicated list at discogs includes the most helpful informations.
    The sign //3 stands for "extern lacquer cut". So it isn't shure anymore that this record was pressed by Phonodisc in 1974 in Walthamstow England. But possible. So lets look at the very interesting webside www.madeinwalthamstow.com
    Back to the music: this LP pressing is a superb one with or without any Valium or with Aluminium or without and with any further curious inscriptions. In the late '70s BJHarvest went into a very very soft and too commercial direction. So this one was one of the highlits of their career. Thanks to very famous Hardrock producer Rodger Bain (Black Sabbath, Budgie etc.) It's astonishing that he produced these softprogrockers. But probably after 3 Black Sabbath productions he needed some relaxation.......But look at my next post: The first BJHarvest is a little gem.

Barclay James Harvest, Same, 1970, Harvest D, 1C 064 -04 372

"The poor man's Moody Blues". No, it was more of Procol Harum. But Procol Harum's Live at Edmonton was 2 years later! Who stole the music from whom? Or the idea of how to melt classical music with progrock? Harvest was an innovative and experimental label until it's last production, Pink Floyd's "The final cut". Oh, what a meaningful title..... These were the times, when everything was possible in pop music: it meant to be an "El Dorado" for experimental music development. On this one BJH haven't already found their later way. But this fact is convenient, because their songs then were rich in variety and innovations. The vocals were more individual and in full bloom. BJH and their producer experimented with the rich technical possibilities of Abbey Road studios. As noticed on the inner side of the fold cover: they had their own orchestra.......! These were the times when pop groups tried to melt together classical music with rock: Procol Harum (Listen to track A4 here "When the World was woken"and B4), the Nice, Deep Purple, Moody Blues, Ekseption et al. Since then BJH had a strong addiction to the Beatles mood and style of composing and producing. By the way, were there also US Pop groups who tried to melt classical music with progrock? I don't think so. It's a typical European phenomenon. Country, Blues, Westcoast and Zydeco don't go together well with Beethoven and all those studio cracks of the 19th century. Do you know better? Was there progrock also in USA? On this one you may discover many quotations of Beatles songs on their '70s LP's. Interestingly this one was produced by famous Norman Smith. He was sound engineer of the Beatles and produced the first LP's of Pink Floyd. Remember his Pseudonym "Hurricane Smith" as singer of the hit single "Don't let it die" and "Oh babe what would you say". Good german reissue pressing. Pressing year ??? No deadwax inscriptions..... Listen to track A1 "Taking some time on": a little bit of Pink Floyd, Status Quo, Cream and naturally with strong Beatles influences. Funny song!
    Last edited by Fritz The Cat; 10-04-2015 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Fotos

went to my favorite "vinyl by the pound" store yesterday ...

all of these (except the MD) are "mint +" condition ..happy camper

all include inserts/posters as if I just unsealed them.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

one more pic ... you guys remember DD ? reggae ? The Israelites ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JHGi0awgc

"Black and Dekker" should have posed him with some power tools

Neil Young, Tonight's The Night, 1975, Reprise US, MS 2221

Neil Young - Tonight's The Night
    (1975, Reprise) textured gatefold cover; Hello Waterface / Goodbye Waterface in the deadwax, sides 1/2

Another US pressing with brown label. Which one is the earlier pressing? In the deadwax: the lying cocktail glass. Sounds good. Nils Lofgren guitar. Neil's Nils is great. Listen to his solos and fills in track A2 "Speakin' out".
    A fascinating one, but also a little bit difficult. No Hello. No Goodbye. But superb and powerful dynamics. And thats enough. The black label issue is seldom in Europe and rare! A highlight in the career of Nils Lofgren.

Neil Young, American Stars'n Bars, 1977, Reprise UK, K 54088

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - American Stars 'n Bars
    (1977, Reprise)

+ The Bullets: Linda Ronstadt, Nicolette Larson & Emmylou Harris

I'm seeing Neil Young tomorrow at the WaMu Theater - the hall is attached to Centurylink Field where the Seahawks play. We'll probably find free parking in Chinatown, it's a 10 minute walk. Getting excited after seeing the setlist at recent stops.

Hope you find a parking lot. Viel Glück und viel Vergnügen! I'd wish i was there...... But i am here. Na ja, we have the vinyl records: this is the english pressing. An underrated LP. By Kinney. But the dynamics are exceptionally very superb. Much country style. But the female singers are convincing. One of the strongest by Neil Young because of having kept it simple. Listen to track B3 "Like a hurricane". But hey, what an ugly cover.....!!! I won't take the picture of the cover in the right position. This is a kind of protesting against such ugly cover art. It's not artwork in fact. In the deadwax: "Allen" on B side. Hey, Allen Landau how are you? And where are you?

John Kay, Forgotten Songs & Unsung Heroes, 1972, Dunhill US, DSX 50120

Produced by Richard Podolor. John Kay is one of the strongest and most powerful male voices of the rock age. An iconic one. This is a big one. Listen to track B3 "Walking Blues". Kept simple but it goes to heart & soul. Impressive. One of the best sounding pressings. Run-out inscription "TSM". Steppenwolf on his magic carpet ride. This voice ........

Miles Davis

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    all of these (except the MD) are "mint +" condition ..happy camper

all include inserts/posters as if I just unsealed them.
    Which LP of Miles Davis is it? Tutu?

Which LP of Miles Davis is it? Tutu?
    yes, Tutu ... vinyl looks unplayed, but jacket shows a little wear.

Thread Information