Page 470 of 721 FirstFirst ... 370420460468469470471472480520570 ... LastLast
Results 7,036 to 7,050 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Carly Simon, Hello Big Man, 1983, WB D, Promo, 92-3886-1

Produced by Mike Mainieri (of Steps Ahead). Good german pressing. Eric Gale guitar on track B2 "Such a good boy" with rhythm cracks Dunbar/Shakespeare. Hugh McCracken guitar with Marcus Miller bass and a beautiful sax solo by David Sanborn on track B3 "Hello big man". Superb Tony Levin bass on most tracks. A beautiful version of Bob Marley's "Is this love" on track A4 with Dunbar/Shakespeare and Eric Gale on guitar. She always had all the best musician. I watched (listened to) the whole career of Carly Simon since "You're so vain" Hit in 1972. Is this love............?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Neil Young - s/t
    (1968, Reprise)

Nice. strings by Jack Nitzsche.
    When released, this one was a commercial flop. His only album not to make the charts. Several months after the album's release, Young remixed it to bring out his vocals more and added some overdubs. This second version replaced the first in the U.S. from then on, though the original mix remained available overseas. (Cit.:William Ruhlmann, AMG). I have the same american pressing as you show here. This one doesn't sound clear. In the deadwax: 30817 RS 6317 A-1C. Listen to muffled track A5 "The old laughing lady" with weak dynamics. While listening to track B3 "What did you do to my life" also the unclean vocal mix doesn't satisfy me. B1 sounds better with clear accoustic guitar fills. B4 has clearer dynamics again. Different qualty of recording? I don't like his voice when singing in whining high tenor. His amateur guitar playing on track B5 "The last trip to tulsa" is rather dull. Neil Young was very busy while writing all that stuff on inner fold cover.........
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Go, Live From Paris, 1978, Island D, 2LP, FC, 26125 XBT, 1978 pressing

This is a hit and Stomu Yamashta is the boss here. I didn't buy this one because of Klaus Schulze's synthesizer playing. No, we have these superb musicians in a very dynamic live recording as follows: excellent Steve Winwood live vocals and keyboards. He sings for our hearts & souls!!! Pat Thrall guitars. Michael Shrieve drums. Al Di Meola very very big live Les Paul solo guitar on C4 "Crossing the line", D1"Man of leo", etc. etc. Don't forget the formidable bass playing and the magic female backing vocals. Beautiful front and back fold cover with some cigarettes promotion and the waisted Franc bill: they don't need it anymore because of the better (????) Euro. You must have been there, in Paris, summer, Palais des sports,12th June 1976..........

Steve Ashley - Stroll On
    (1975, Gull) Promo DJ copy, Artisan symbol in the deadwax

recorded in '71. nice. with Danny Thompson, Simon Nicol, Ashley Hutchings, Dave Mattacks.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Recorded in 1971, but released in 1975, because of rejections

Steve Ashley - Stroll On
    (1975, Gull) Promo DJ copy, Artisan symbol in the deadwax

recorded in '71. nice. with Danny Thompson, Simon Nicol, Ashley Hutchings, Dave Mattacks.
    This is an interesting tip. I have the same american pressing as you show here. It's a good pressing with fine dynamics. But i will have to wash it. Listen to the accoustic guitars: if you hear the sound of sliding fingers on the strings it's recorded and pressed in super quality. A lost treasure with beautiful cover art work as usual in the seventies. I bought this one because of the contributions of the Albion Band musicians and B.J. Cole's pedal steel. Listen to track A5: you may hear the leaves falling. B.J. Cole is the "Jack in the box" of hundreds of records and indicates quality signs. Monastic chant. (Cit:AMG) Listen to track B5 "Follow on". Very english. This record is a folk rock parallel to the theme of classic Antonio Vivaldi's four seasons: the grip of deep winter, the fleeting joys of summer, farewell to the leaves in fall, etc. The moods induced by changing seasons truly are eternal. And it does listeners good to be reminded of that sometimes. (Cit: AMG) Sunday morning music. Let's stroll on.....

Woody Woodmansey's U-Boat, Same, 1977, Bronze D, 25 027 XOT

Track A1: is this the Les Paul played by Mick Ronson? No it's unknown MacKintyre Duncan on guitar. Well made. Bowie's Ziggy- Drummer has found new friends. Bowie wouldn't need a rock drummer after Ziggy anymore. Vocals by unknown Phil Murray. Strong clear characteristic voice. Interesting songs. Listen to track A2: I like the guitar in Ronson style here through all the tracks. But it was the wrong time for this LP. All around the punk wars were raging. No chance with such fine cover art. And Murray was not a chamaeleon like Bowie. And Martin Smith was not as famous as Ronson. It's not a forgotten gem, but interesting because of the unknown musicians. Does anybody know the further career of these musicians? The funny comic style cover art is simply superb. The contents of this forgotten record were at least well-dressed.....

Henry Mancini, Oklahoma Crude, OST, 1973, RCA US, Dynaflex, APL1-0271

Mancini is the big Zampano of the Soundtracks. He does every style. Produced by Stanley Cramer. But why does Stanley Cramer write on the back cover, when he has nothing to say? Notice on back cover: "Mancini has given us nostalgia in the modern idiom and i cannot say too much for his contribution to Oklahoma Crude." He should better keep still and go for a beer.....

The Modern Jazz Quartet, The Sheriff, 1964, Atlantic US, 1414 RL69?

Thrift store this summer for 10 Fr.. There must be some kind of hidden deficiency, that i cannot discover by controlling the vinyl. On the back cover Leonard Feather explains everything you always wanted to know about the world of jazz. Take your time. It's really interesting. Especially about Lewis/Jackson/Heath and Kay. Actually and unfortunately (as i expected) it's not the best quality of pressing despite of washing in my Hannl. But anyway i like it. Life isn't always clean and perfect.....Does anybody know the year of the release of this rerelease? 1969?

Freddy Fender, Before The Next Teardrop Falls, 1975, abc DOT US, DOSD 2020

40 years have passed, but the music lasts forever. Produced by Huey P. Meaux means: quality self-evident! What a superb pressing with the best dynamics. I like every record of Baldemar Herto, despite the cheap and ugly cover art. Art???? Does anybody know a solo record of him with passable cover art? Why didn't he pay attention to it? When in Texas Tornados, the music and the cover art were superb. Guitar: Is this thaaat Mickey Moody of Whitesnake? Does anybody know? Listen to track A5 with the superb steel guitar playing.

Brinsley Schwarz - Silver Pistol
    (1972, United Artists)

Nick Lowe!
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Brinsley Schwarz - Silver Pistol
    (1972, United Artists)

Nick Lowe!
    Oh, you're a "Glückspilz" with this one. I've never seen it here in Switzerland. How is it?

Brinsley Schwartz, Fifteen Thoughts Of, 1978, UA UK, FC, UAK 30177

Track A2 "There's a cloud in my heart" and A4 Bob Marley's "Hypocrite" (as the Hitters) were singles in 1975 resp. 1973. This is a compilation with partly special mixes and live recordings. This compilation is a good english pressing in gatefold cover with a cheap live gig folder included. Listen to the beautiful sax solo on track A6 "I like you, i dont love you". They had various styles of songs: they were a kind of chamaeleon and Nick Lowe was the court jester of club rock.

Ian Gomm, What A Blow, 1980, Ariola D, 202 230-320

You have to love this one: ex Brinsley Schwartz guitarist's second solo effort is a discovery. I like his voice. Listen to track A3 "Slow dancing": beautiful song with strong hookline. Good vocals. Bass on 7 tracks by Herbie Flowers! B.J. Cole Pedal steel on track B4. Raphael Ravenscroft (Baker Street sax solo) all brass. Superb recordings. Good german pressing. For 3 SFr. in a thrift store or on a flea market i don't know where and when. What a blow .....It's only club rock but i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Mancini is the big Zampano of the Soundtracks. He does every style. Produced by Stanley Cramer. ...
    Actually, in big print on the album, on the record label,
    nearly everywhere in the images you posted it says

Stanley KRAMER - ain't no C about it!!

Just fact correcting - no flames implied or involved -
    Have fun!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Brinsley Schwarz, Despite It All, 1970, Liberty D, FC, LBS 83 427 I

Pub rock at its beginning. Listen to the lovely track A2 "The slow one" with a beautiful sax solo by Van der Graaf Generator's Dave Jackson. And a fat hammond sound. Notice on the inner fold cover : WUNDERLAND Production. Yes it is.....And the title slogan "Despite it all"??? Look at the failed promotion of their debut by their agency "Famepushers". Superb german original pressing on heavy vinyl. It's only pub rock but i like it.

Thread Information