Page 463 of 721 FirstFirst ... 363413453461462463464465473513563 ... LastLast
Results 6,931 to 6,945 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

The Albion Band, Shuffle Off, 1983, Spindrift, GB, SPIN 103

Concerning my last post. Here we have the Albion "Dance" Band without John Tams. Obviously that's why this one is without vocals. This is exeptional for folkrock. But you have to love this LP! It's an interesting one. Do you know further only instrumental folkrock albums? Listen to track A5: the funny "Hi! Tequila Tango/High Tea Tango". Funny instrumental funkrock, very strange. Does humour belong to instrumental folkrock music? Yesss.... Notice on backcover the note above:"Warning! Crossover potential. File under Rock and Folk, preferably both." Right! The picture on the front cover and back cover are perfectly appropriate for the title and the music. In contrast to the LP of "Home Service." I like folkrock because mostly they don't use much synthesizers, sampling technics and all that digital overkill of these times. Hey, why do you like folkrock?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Albion Band, Under The Rose, 1984, Spindrift GB, SPIN 110

Concerning my last post Albion Band without vocals. They wanted to have a beautiful voice on this one. What a wonderful voice of Cathy Lesurf! Does anybody own vinyl with Cathy Lesurf? Enjoy it despite of the synthesizers. Attention to the note on the backcover:"There are a number of ghosts who inhabit the songs on this album. In no particular order of appearance they include: John Donne (track B1), William Shakespeare (track A1,B2, etc.), Eugene O'Neal (track A1), Jackson Browne and George Eliot (track A2), and Dave Whetstone (all tracks)." Not a typical Albion Band album. Do i like it therefore?
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Raptures Of The Deep, Deep Sea Jivers, 1986, Mermaid GB, MMD 101

This one is pure fun. It swings. Is it Jazz or Pop? No matter. It's fun. We have Richard Thomson on 3 tracks, Ruth Bitelli's strong voices. Pete Thomas sax, flute etc. and production. He worked with Joe Jackson on "Jumping Jive". Thomas was a soloist on the Francis Ford Coppola film "Tucker": The man and his dream. Masterful saxophon playing. A discovery. Concerning Pete Thomas: see next post. What do you think about digitally mastered analogue productions?

Funky Junction, Play A Tribute To Deep Purrple, 1973, Stereo Gold Award US, MER 373

This is a curious one. One of the most sought after LP's. Is it worth it? It's "Thin Lizzy"! The story behind this record: Richie Blackmore had studio project with Ian Paice and Phil Lynott, called Baby Face. He tried to break out of the deadly studio routine of Deep Purple. Lynott didn't have commercial success with his second Thin Lizzy Album. Decca afforded a hit single! So they agreed in 1972 to do this no name project. Only for little money. 1000 Pounds. They didn't know the future use of the recorded material. Benny White of the Dublin based Band Elmer Fudd made the vocals, because Phil Lynott wasn't able to sing in Ian Gillan's style. Why should he? Benny White sings "Strange Kind Of Woman" amazingly well. Also Hush in the style of Rod Evans is astonishing. Lynott played only bass guitar. Eric Bell guitar. He is very courageous while trying to play Blackmore style. Listen to A5 "Strange kind of woman" intro. Not bad! To all the guitar owners of this thread: did you try this intro ever? One of the best guitar solo intros in rock music! Dave Lennox keyboard. Brian Downey drums. Interesting: Eric Bell had to play "Danny Boy" in the style of Hendrix' "Star Spangled Banner". With a wink of an eye. So track A2 "Dan" is fun! Does humour belong to rock music? Yessss.... He played also an interesting instrumental version of "House of the rising sun", called "Rising Sun". Amusing. After the success of "Whiskey in the jar", the project Baby Face was dropped by Lynott. This LP has historical value. It was a cheap sale for 66 pence at Woolworth in early 1973. Those times it was a really bad record, because these Deep Purple versions can in no way compete with the originals. Leo Muller was the profiteer behind this one. He also wanted to have the credits for the traditionals on it! Money Money Money! This LP has high money value today if in good condition. Benny White nowadays plays bass and sings with the band Survivors. They are based in the Dublin area. And now my question: does anybody know, what traditional track A4 "Palamatoon" is derivated of? Or is it only a dumb jam session outtake?

Richard Thompson, Hand Of Kindness, 1983, Hannibal D,

Related to my "Raptures of the deep" post. This is the Richard Thompson Album with participation of Pete Thomas (sax). Superb producer was famous Joe Boyd. As you see on picture below: many famous musicians are involved. Listen to majestic track A2 "How i wanted to". Overall this album sounds a little depressive. What do you think about the mood on this one?

Joe Jackson, Jumpin' Jive, 1981, AM NE, AMLH 68530

Concerning my post about "Raptures of the deep". Participation of Pete Thomas (alto sax). As noted on backcover: "Reap this righteous riff"! Joe Jackson mentions Louis Jordan as their main inspiration. I must confess: i own only one LP with the participation of Louis Jordan. See my next post. Listen to every track on this one. Famous Anton Corbijn made the photograpies. Who owns vinyl with Louis Jorden?

Ella Fitzgerald, Sings With, 1984, Lotus Italy, LOP 14088

Regarding my post with Jumpin' Jive concerning Louis Jordan: I own only 1 (one!) Lp with participation of Louis Jordan. Shame on me. It's an italian Pressing with only two duets of Ella with LJ. This one is not a very good pressing. Cheap thing with processed Schelack-records. No HIFI pleasure. Only historical value. Who owns Lp's of Louis Jordan?

Ella Fitzgerald, Same, 1973, Everest Records US, FS 276

This is a surprising one. I never heard Ella Fitgerald sing such commercial popular hits. Remembers me to Connie Francis' vocal style. Listen to track1 "Misty Blue". Wonderful music for the juke box. Happy go lucky. What's wrong with that? As mentioned on backcover: "Ella sings big country hits"and "Ella's first venture into country music". Is this country music???? I don't think so. Does anybody know the definition of country music? Is it a synonym for pop in US? Concerning the label "Everest Records": was this a cheapo label in US those times? The sound is superb. Good pressing. A wonderful discovery! Hey, this woman could sing........

Aretha Franklin, You, 1975, Atlantic US, SD 18151

I like the music of Aretha Franklin. But the the cover sleeves often don't convince me. Art director was in holiday? This one falls into the category of "dumb Covers". Most covers are compatible with the music. Like a fancy paper. Does anybody know why some covers are that nasty? Which is the one you digust the most? There are record companies who cultivate cover art effectively and timelessly: Blue Note, CTI, ECM, Vertigo, Harvest, Virgin, Island etc. Which label is your favorite with accurate/classic/timeless covers? The music on this one? Rather uncompassionate. Would i appreciate the songs more, if there was a fancy cover picture?

Incredible Soul Machine, Soul USA, 1979?, Hazyland CH, HSM 100 002

An obscure one. A swiss production. Hazyland records? Hazyland was a discotheque in Zürich owned by popular swiss show musician Hazy Osterwald. Does anybody know more about the soul music on this LP? Did the musicians really exist under this name? "The Incredible Soul Machine" and "Otis Campbell & The New York Blues Band". Pseudonyms? Recorded by Helios Music Corp. N.Y. USA for Claus Ogerman Prod. Munich 2, West Germany. Claus Ogerman was producer/arranger/pianist for german and american Jazz big bands and popular show orchestras. His cooperations with many Jazz musicians as George Benson and Bill Evans were successful in the seventies. He produced Diana Krall in 2001. This LP lacks of informations. Even the year of release is unapparent. Sloppy one! Junk? Annoying.

Titanic, Same, 1970, CBS NE, S 64 104

This one was very popular in Switzerland. We danced to this music in discotheques. This Norwegian band played a melodious rock mixture of Santana, Beatles, Rare Earth, Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf etc. style. The singer Roy Robinson had a strong characteristic voice like John Kay of Steppenwolf. Listen to track A3 "Mary Jane". They still do gigs in Europe today after the comeback in the 90ties. Were they also famous in US? Good memories. Old memories. And still in mint condition (theLP).......

Titanic, Eagle Rock, 1973, CBS F, 65661

Titanic went their own special way. They got serious. Influences are audible but no more as predominant as on the first LP. The variable voice of Roy Robinson is fascinating. Remember Mike Harrison of Spooky Tooth. Partly jazzy. Beautiful fold cover. But the critics didn't like them. Similar to Uriah Heep. The critics didn't want us to buy such beautiful music. It was too simple in their opinion. But we didn't follow the critics....We listened to the radio and recorded the music onto audio tapes. We had our own opinion of this music. Listen to the witty track B5 "The Skeleton". But i have to confess, their debut was a more magical one (Memories)! The critics nowadays are silent, but the music will live forever......Do you take critics seriously? In which cases did they fail? Remember the refusal of the Beatles and David Bowie by Decca. Which were the critics with serious judgements? Those timeless judgements we can read also today without shaking our heads?

Titanic, Return Of The Drakkar, 1977, Barcly F, 900 542

A disappointment. Silly dumb cover: who immerses his Gibson SG into the sea? Terrible! But also the music on this LP of my loved band Titanic is rather weak. Cover Sleeve and content are compatible. It's a seldom french cut out. Reasonable. Only the voice of Roy Robinson is high level. This mature voice is on the peak of its career. Remember a mixture of Mike Harrison (Spooky Tooth) and Roger Chapman (Family etc.). Concerning the cover and backcover: Never mistreat your Gibson, it could damage your career.....(exeption Pete Townsend)!

Paul Collins' Beat, To Beat Or Not To Beat, 1983, Closer F, CL 0016

Fresh beat. Well made, kept simple. Jay Dee Daugherty (Patti Smith drummer) and Jimmy Ripp (Television/Tom Verlaine guitarist).

Jimi Hendrix, Concerts, 1982, Mediamotion F, 2LP, 301 005

45 years ago he died. This is a french release. Live takes of 1968 (6), 1969 (3), 1970(2). Winterland San Francisco, Sports Arena San Diego, Randall's Island New York, Royal Albert Hall London and Community Theatre Berkeley. Listen to the 11'01 killer version of "Stone Free" track B1. Superb french pressing. It's not only his guitar playing, but also his exceptional voice phrasing. He never was satisfied by his vocals....

Thread Information