Page 460 of 721 FirstFirst ... 360410450458459460461462470510560 ... LastLast
Results 6,886 to 6,900 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Bad Manners, Fat Sound, 1992, Pork Pie, D, EFA 4086-08

Why do i not like the picture on the cover? Really nasty. One of the badest record covers i know. Some artists were famous for their lousy LP covers. As a result mostly, their records didn't sell well. Silly decisions. Look at the lousy covers of most of the US country singers in the seventies. Or Robert Palmer as expl.!I wouldn't shurely buy this one. But i like the music. Witty ska music. It swings! Wonderful versions of Cat Stevens' "The first cut is the deepest" and Tina Charles' "I can't stand the rain". Also covered by Rod Stewart. Do you know further albums with nasty covers, but contrasting wonderful music?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Thielemans/Pass/Orsted-Pedersen, Live in the Netherlands,1982, Pablo US, 2308 233

Life is Jazz. Jazz is life. Jazz is live. 3 outstanding musicians of the Oscar Peterson Quartet of these times. They are totally present. So you won't miss the drums. This one is really live. Listen to Track A1"Blues in the closet". Unfortunately after some minutes the amplifier is sometimes kicked by Joe Pass accidentally. As a result you can hear many (wanted/unwanted?) cracks from the spring reverb. Track A2 Duke Ellington's "The Mooche": Thielemans plays the guitar and remarks, that it wouldn't be easy to play the guitar after Joe Pass. But he is a superb guitarist also. Whistling tunes in Jazz? Listen to the funny track A3 "Thriving from a riff"! Does humour belong to Jazz? Yessss, absolutely! In the early seventies i saw a superb Joe Pass in concert 2 times in Zürich with an epic Ella Fitzgerald. Unforgettable. Since then, i am a big fan of both. This US pressing is superb. The US and german Pablo pressings in my collection mostly are good. Strong dynamics. Does anybody know further whistling tunes in Jazz music?
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Various Artists, Sessions, Live, 1976, Calliope US, CAL 3002

Sampler Lp's sometimes give to me the possibility to get to know new artists. This one with some recordings of the years 57/58 is remarkable because of 2 female vocalists: Pay attention to Ernestine Anderson! She was member of the Johnny Otis Show and the Lionel Hampton Orchestra. Her voice is similar to that of Ella Fitzgerald. In the next future i will look for LPs with Ernestine. Listen also to the voice of Chris Connor. A "cool singer" par excellence! Cal Tjader was an important influence for Carlos Sanatana. "Sessions, live" was a collection of live performances on the Calliope Label. This is the only LP i own of this record company. Interesting.

Average White Band, Cut The Cake, 1975, RCA D, NL 89571

Gimme gimme gimme........... that cake. Yes, this is my piece of cake. Beautiful record cover. Strong funky rock. Superb Hamish Stuart on guitar. Later famous with Paul McCartney. This is a german re-release from 1985. These german re-releases have superb dynamics as i know it from so many Elvis vinyl LP's in my collection. The german RCA pressings from the seventies (orange label) sometimes were weak mass production. Those with the black labels were strong mass production. The LP is dedicated to Robbie McIntosh, who had died in 1974 because of heroin abuse. 40 years ago!!!

Steeleye Span - Dogs & Ferrets
    (1983, Pair)

a 2LP compilation of Commoners Crown and All Around My Hat from 1975/76. Cheap packaging but great sound quality. Listening to record 1, the Commoners Crown material. My neighbor told me that Steeleye with Maddy Prior played here in July at a small venue, The Triple Door. while I was on vacation...another missed show. I did see Steeleye Span in '73 or '74 at the University Of Washington in Seattle, they opened with Wishbone Ash and J.Geils Band also on the bill. very different bands but a great show!
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Gentle Giant- Acquiring The Taste
    (1971, Vertigo) MASTERDISK G.K. in the deadwax; mastered by Gilbert Kong at Masterdisk

nice. great sound quality and surprising changes - never know what's next. recycling an older picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    Life is Jazz. Jazz is life. Jazz is live. 3 outstanding musicians of the Oscar Peterson Quartet of these times. They are totally present. So you won't miss the drums. This one is really live. Listen to Track A1"Blues in the closet". Unfortunately after some minutes the amplifier is sometimes kicked by Joe Pass accidentally. As a result you can hear many (wanted/unwanted?) cracks from the spring reverb. Track A2 Duke Ellington's "The Mooche": Thielemans plays the guitar and remarks, that it wouldn't be easy to play the guitar after Joe Pass. But he is a superb guitarist also. Whistling tunes in Jazz? Listen to the funny track A3 "Thriving from a riff"! Does humour belong to Jazz? Yessss, absolutely! In the early seventies i saw a superb Joe Pass in concert 2 times in Zürich with an epic Ella Fitzgerald. Unforgettable. Since then, i am a big fan of both. This US pressing is superb. The US and german Pablo pressings in my collection mostly are good. Strong dynamics. Does anybody know further whistling tunes in Jazz music?
    Wow, I bet those were great concerts. Joe Pass on jazz guitar. Ella on vocals. wow.

whistling tunes in jazz - how about Big Noise From Winnetka - whistling by Clint Eastwood

The Who - Who Are You
    (1978, MCA) Promo/WLP

The Who, Who Are You, 1978, Polydor Track, D, 2417 325

The last work with Moon the Loon. This one has no soul. Without any esprit and energy. Cheesy sound of synthesizers. Look at the dirty trousers of Pete Townsend on the front cover. This man seems to be at the end. Somehow very depressive attitude. The first album with backing voices for Daltrey on many of the tracks: Andy Fairwheather-Low (remember "Amen Corner"). The thin voice of Roger Daltrey has lost its Charisma. Why does not Pete do the backing vocals? And as a total low point: Keith sat in the chair with the ominous message in order to disguise his paunch which was sticking out over his trousers top. Soon after that he was taken away. In 1975 Moon thought, he had his big time with his only solo work"Two sides of the Moon". Shurely, it was a big fun for all his musician friends. There's no need to name them all! Good friends. Funny friends. But is it also fun for me? Does humour belong to music? Yessss. But it HAS (!) to be MUSIC! It may have been meant as fun, but comes off as extremely sad and depressing. This one is characterisized by the inner sleeve. If you turn it, you can see the other side of the Moon. What do you think about the solo LP of Moon the Loon?

Cal Tjader, Here, 1979, Galaxy US, GXY 5121

Recorded at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. Beautiful. Listen to track A3 "Morning". Do you know this song? Listen to Deodato's "Carly & Carol". See next post. Whom do the credits belong to?

Deodato, Prelude, 1973, CTI D, CTI 6021

This was my first love. My first Jazz Album. It was a used one with reduced price. I bought it in 1973 because i liked the picture on the cover: very impressive. Magical mystery cover! Every track is written in my mind. I know it by heart since over 40 years. I think, this one is the LP I most frequently listened to. It is a little bit worn out, but I found a second one this summer in a thrift store for 4 Franks. A wonder! In nearly mint condition. Listen to track A3 "Carly & Carole": what a beautiful Fender Rhodes solo by Deodato: Like a mountain creek in spring. This song is dedicated to Carole King and Carly Simon. What a perfect dedication to these two outstanding Singer/Songwriters. As I listened very much to this LP, I discovered those superb musicians: John Tropea!!! Ron Carter, Stanley Clarke, Jay Berliner, Billy Cobham, Airto, Hubert Laws etc. So my first love guided me into a big Jazz vinyl collection. This LP has no weak second, i swear. I would buy this one "anyway anyhow anywhere". Does anybody own an Lp of Jay Berliner?

The Kinks - Preservation Act 2
    (1974, RCA)

Listening to record 1. even a scattered mess like this record is interesting, as you expect from Ray Davies and the Kinks

Kinks, Preservation Act 2, 1974, 2LP, RCA US, CPL2-5040

This is a curious one. It's not a typical Kinks album with witty songs. But what is it? You said it's a scattered mess. That's right. And why should i buy these 2 LP's? Where are the melodies? Do you find a good song? One track is a little bit of a song: B4. But listen to Mungo Jerry "In the summertime". That one is the original. This is a solo work of Ray Davies in the style of a rock opera.The inner pictures say it all: Ray is the rooster in the henhouse. The other Kinks have to play the louts in the backyard. Was this a good decision? Does humour belong to music? Yessss. But without any melodious songs there is no music to have fun with. This one isn't really a weak one, but there are included too many boring minutes. In 1974 you had to listen to Who's Quadrophenia, Cockney Rebel, Deep Purple, Rory Gallagher, Jethro Tull, Status Quo etc. There were so many beautiful albums in those times.... And looking at the picture withe the ladies: which one is LOLA?

Kinks, Schoolboys In Disgrace, 1975, RCA D, LPL1-5102

Here we find the witty songs we missed on "Preservation Act 2". This one can be considered as an album that the band recorded in a "convalescing" state, slowly returning from Ray's unlimited fantasy world into the real Kinks-style music. (Cit.: startling.rinet.ru)

Chris Spedding, Guitar Graffiti, 1978, RAK GB, SRAK 534

Anyhow this guitarist didn't ever made it in the big music business. But he was nearly everywhere in the music scene of the seventies. His style was too meandering. There was no clear line in his work. Listen to track B3 "Hey, Miss Betty". The song is a rocking hommage to '50s bondage Queen Betty Page. Her career had an abrupt end: she disappeared one day and was never seen again in show business. Was this a wise decision?

Thread Information