Page 424 of 721 FirstFirst ... 324374414422423424425426434474524 ... LastLast
Results 6,346 to 6,360 of 10808

Thread: What's Playing Now

Jacqueline du Pre; Dvorak, Cello Concerto, Chicago Symphony Orchestra EMI Classics, newly remastered. Roger Sessions, String Quartet, Canons (to the memory of Stravinsky). Naxos American Classics.

These two recordings are like the alpha and omega of my "classical" moods. One the one hand I love many of the twentieth century pieces, everything about them. The Roger Sessions is musically a joy for me. Compact ensemble, thrilling yet almost somber material, altogether concise in nature and immediate in presentation. Modern and challenging. Any competent quartet of musicians would float my boat with compositions like this.

On the other hand, the Dvorak is the sort of piece I usually cross the street to avoid. While not quite as bloated or as possessed by musical lines way too "cute" for me as most Romantic era large orchestral works are (like the Russian composers that are a staple of most "classical" programs at symphony halls), it is still for me obnoxiously both diffuse and bombastic at the same time. A perverse accomplishment, I suppose. Orchestras grew so large because before amplification there was no other way to produce volume. Even admirers of this style will have to admit the feeling and tone color were lost in the process. Also, in this as well as many/most other similar compositions, to my sensibilities dynamics takes on a role of "wow, look what we can do with all these instruments re: dynamics." Having grown up in the era of electronic amplification, I am not impressed by the technique, or its overuse. So why am I listening to it?

The performance is beyond great to my ears. The Chicago Symphony Orchestra certainly helps, but here it is the soloist. That du Pre's life was cut short by MS was a wretched, cruel personal tragedy, but the loss to music was monumental. Very few soloists, no matter how talented, were as capable of elevating an entire outstanding orchestra to such levels as she routinely did. While many cellists are so ridiculously good that you have to admire them, she directly thrills on a non intellectual level. She was so accomplished here that it would be bad taste on my part not to seek this performance out. Mind you, this is a typical performance from her, so feel free to check out anything she recorded. This is a nice recording, though, to give the technicians their due.

All that said, musically I prefer the piano trios included on Warner Classics' A Lasting Inspiration Volume Two, Jacqueline du Pre. But to be honest I could listen to du Pre playing the phone book on a poor recording. By the way, this French sounding name belonged to an English girl. I have not seen films of her performing, but I have read that she was, involuntarily, very animated when she played. Her energy was physically as well as musically palpable.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

RIP Jack Bruce 14 May 1943 – 25 October 2014

RIP Jack Bruce 14 May 1943 – 25 October 2014
    Name:  IMG_6210.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  175.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6213.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  187.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6215.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  116.2 KB

Tim Buckley - Goodbye And Hello
    (1967, Elektra) Monarch in the deadwax; Unipak cover

This is a second copy I have of this LP, I also have it on CD. really enjoy Buckley's lyrics/poetry, something new with each listen.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Cream - Fresh Cream
    (1967, Atco)

RIP Jack Bruce

T-Rex - The Greatest Hits, Vol. 1
    (1976, Pickwick) UK pressing

a mishmash compilation with tracks from '68 through '71. nice sound quality on many of the tracks.

Cream - Disraeli Gears
    (1967, Atco)

Recycling pictures from a couple of years ago when I had the Rega P5.

Fwends ...

Boy, this is going to have rabid fans and haters... pretty great,
    but I probably won't drag it to any audiophile shows

If you're not a flaming lips fan, I'd suggest running in the other direction.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  186.6 KB

Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
    (1974, RSO) STERLING in the deadwax

This record has always been a favorite. I think I picked up a copy from the cut-out bins in the mid 70s. Not much of a fan of Lay Down Sally especially after hearing it played along with the muzak on an in-flight system on a flight in the early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Boy, this is going to have rabid fans and haters... pretty great,
    but I probably won't drag it to any audiophile shows

If you're not a flaming lips fan, I'd suggest running in the other direction.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  186.6 KB
    I'm not. I heard part of it, will not be buying. But don't let me stop you from enjoying.

Jimi Hendrix

Not all rejections are wrong. Sometimes a person needs to be told that he or she should consider a different career. Such was the case with a young Johnny Alex Hendrix, who chose the Army over jail after getting caught stealing cars. His stint was short-lived, though. He was discharged after being found "... poorly motivated for the military ..." The author of this report seemed to know already who Jimi Hendrix was, even before he was Jimi. The report states, "Pvt Hendrix plays a musical instrument during his off-duty hours, or so he says. This is one of his faults, as his mind apparently cannot function while performing duties and thinking about his guitar."

Read More: 5 Most Surprising Rejection Letters of All Time | http://diffuser.fm/rejection-letters...ckback=tsmclip
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Jimi Hendrix

Not all rejections are wrong. Sometimes a person needs to be told that he or she should consider a different career. Such was the case with a young Johnny Alex Hendrix, who chose the Army over jail after getting caught stealing cars. His stint was short-lived, though. He was discharged after being found "... poorly motivated for the military ..." The author of this report seemed to know already who Jimi Hendrix was, even before he was Jimi. The report states, "Pvt Hendrix plays a musical instrument during his off-duty hours, or so he says. This is one of his faults, as his mind apparently cannot function while performing duties and thinking about his guitar."

Read More: 5 Most Surprising Rejection Letters of All Time | http://diffuser.fm/rejection-letters...ckback=tsmclip
    Cool find. I've been called a "habitual offender" myself.

Alexander Spence - Oar
    (1969, Columbia) -1C / -1

recycling a picture from awhile back. a haunting listen, even without considering the circumstances around the recording session. from wiki..

Described as "one of the most harrowing documents of pain and confusion ever made",[6] the album was recorded after Spence had spent six months in Bellevue Hospital. Spence had been committed to Bellevue following a delusion-driven attempt to attack Moby Grape bandmates Don Stevenson and Jerry Miller with a fire axe

Steppenwolf - Monster
    (1969, ABC Dunhill)

always enjoyed John Kay's vocals and the subversive, indignant attitude

Jack Bruce - Out Of The Storm
    (1974, RSO) Monarch symbol, Porky/Pecko sides 1/2

Amazing Blondel - Fantasia Lindum
    (1971, Island) German pressing

Thread Information