Page 423 of 721 FirstFirst ... 323373413421422423424425433473523 ... LastLast
Results 6,331 to 6,345 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Little Tibia & the Fibians (1967) It's The Mummy

Film clip from the 1969 animated film Mad Monster Party staring Boris Karloff, Allen Swift & Phyllis Diller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ddR4I_xUUM4
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I like James Bond soundtracks

maybe I just appreciate John Barry compositions ? They are always well done and dynamic,
    BUT .... I just had to laugh at this cover...

007 is levitating ? That golden Gate cable is at nearly 80 degrees UP , but he is standing on it with 1 foot, shooting the wrong direction, the barefoot girl really isn't on it at all (her waist looks like 20 inches ?) Oh well ...

The album is bannered "A digital Recording" ...sounds great and looks unplayed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

earlier...

Roy Buchanan - You're Not Alone
    (1978, Atlantic) Monarch; AT/GP in the deadwax

many years since I've spun this, tasty guitar as usual from Buchanan. Synthesizer touches at times which I could do without but easily overtaken by Roy's monster playing. Down By The River in nice.

now...

Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Nancy & Lee
    (1968, Reprise) -1B/-1B

great combination of Hazlewood's quirky songs/croaking and Nancy's singing.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

How is Roy's version of "Turn To Stone"? Fantastic Joe Walsh song IMO....

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    earlier...

many years since I've spun this, tasty guitar as usual from Buchanan. Synthesizer touches at times which I could do without but easily overtaken by Roy's monster playing. Down By The River in nice.

now...

(1968, Reprise) -1B/-1B

Jimi Hendrix - :Blues
    (2010, Experience Hendrix/Sony)

listening to record #2. listening to record #2. I have good memories as I auditioned my current speakers JBL 4430's with some of the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by voice of theatr View Post
    How is Roy's version of "Turn To Stone"? Fantastic Joe Walsh song IMO....
    He pulls out all the stops on his version. Not as much studio polish as Joe's version on So What? both great listens

Elvis Costello - This Years Model
    (1978, Columbia) -1C/-1C; Promo label, timing strip/stamp on back cover

Too bad someone apparently spilled coffee on the cover, but it did it's job in keeping the record in NM- shape. Thunderous bass and drums. This was a bright spot for me when it released in the late 70s.

Nancy Sinatra, Lee Hazlewood - Nancy & Lee Again
    (1972, RCA)

"oh..suffer along Jerry Reed because Hazlewood's pickin' tonight" More fun from Nancy & Lee.

Bill Evans Trio with Symphony Orchestra [1966] Very pleasant album - tho not as inspired as his final recordings (of course).
    I've had this in the collection for a while - never blipped my interest much, then I read this about the Dying Dance of Geoffrey Holder -
    http://outandaboutnycmag.com/geoffre...m-his-son-leo/
    and how he danced to the track Pavanne from that album and - and it inspired me to listen to it again this afternoon.

Playing the album now via the Jolida tube amp and KEF 105.4 speakers in the plant room downstairs ...

http://outandaboutnycmag.com/geoffre...m-his-son-leo/

Name:  Back.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  173.8 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Derek And The Dominos ‎– Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs
    (1970, Atco) '72 Polydor issue; STERLING in the deadwax

This record is a great listen through all four sides. Although Layla is one of those played to death classic songs, it's a track which always sounds interesting and new to my ears.

The Pretty Things - S. F. Sorrow
    (1968, Columbia) 2014 German pressing on Madfish

Sounds great with clearly defined bass and other instruments, but I don't have an original to compare to.

Roy was one of my all time favorite guitar players. I saw him many times in concert, he used to do an annual show in Pittsburgh around Christmas. There was one performance where someone set off a smoke bomb and they had to evacuate the theater. i hung around and after they got the place aired out went back in and Roy started playing again. Only about 5% of the crowd was still there so we were all up close. You could tell that Roy was pissed off by what happened but determined to give the rest of us a good performance. His live performances had to be experienced, better than any of his studio work. I was very sad the day I learned he committed suicide, what a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    earlier...

now...

(1968, Reprise) -1B/-1B

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    Roy was one of my all time favorite guitar players. I saw him many times in concert, he used to do an annual show in Pittsburgh around Christmas. There was one performance where someone set off a smoke bomb and they had to evacuate the theater. i hung around and after they got the place aired out went back in and Roy started playing again. Only about 5% of the crowd was still there so we were all up close. You could tell that Roy was pissed off by what happened but determined to give the rest of us a good performance. His live performances had to be experienced, better than any of his studio work. I was very sad the day I learned he committed suicide, what a loss.
    Wow, must have been an interesting performance. Thanks for sharing the story.

Gary Burton - Throb
    (1969, Atlantic) -MO Monarch

Jeffrey Hahn, guitar; Steve Swallow, bass

Santana - s/t
    (1969, Columbia) -1A/-1D Santa Maria pressing

nice, really nice conga, timbales, percussion, organ and guitar playing on this debut, this band has potential.

Thread Information