Page 42 of 721 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142542 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    a great place to start heather.....hank.
    Well, I started with Patsy Cline and Dolly, years ago ...and a bunch of Lyle Lovette (but he's special, I know ... ), but after seeing some of those early b&W johnny cash appearances on a netflix rental (Town Hall Party, 1958 & 59) - he was much more interesting than what I remember of his show on ABC-TV in the 70s ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Well, I started with Patsy Cline and Dolly, years ago ...and a bunch of Lyle Lovette (but he's special, I know ... ), but after seeing some of those early b&W johnny cash appearances on a netflix rental (Town Hall Party, 1958 & 59) - he was much more interesting than what I remember of his show on ABC-TV in the 70s ...
    I'm not a big CW fan, but in the last couple of years, have been appreciating Cash more and more. Love "Orange Blossom Special".
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I grew up in NYC, and most of what my Dad played around the house was Johnny Cash/Glen Campbell/Merle Haggard/Chet Atkins/etc. Can't get it out of me, never could. I've always been a sucker for those harmonies. My entry into rock music came via the Southern rockers, I remember as a kid crawling through the sewer system into Nassau County to come up within the gates of Belmont Park so I could see the WLIR Parties In The Park with Charlie Daniels Band & Pure Prairie League, among others.

I've said it a couple of times here, but for some good country-flavored rock albums first give a listen to Maria McKee's 'You've Gotta Sin To Get Saved' with members of the Jayhawks in her backing band. Then, look for Patti Scialfa's 'Rumble Doll' with Heartbreaker Mike Campbell producing & playing guitar.

Lyle Lovett's a staple here, seen him live a bunch, too.

Now the local stations in VA are giving me an education in rootsy country that I'm loving.

je

growin up...Dad mostly played "Sons of the Pioneers" ....harmonizing cowboys that did a great "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and played Mr. Acker Bilk , the only clarinet player worth a damn , IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    growin up...Dad mostly played "Sons of the Pioneers" ....harmonizing cowboys that did a great "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and played Mr. Acker Bilk , the only clarinet player worth a damn , IMHO.
    sidney bechet may just appeal to you

Jethro Tull

"Thick as A Brick", and "War Child"...Back to back.

It's been a while, and what a treat.

Chicago - "Wishing you were here"
    & "Feelin Stonger Every Day"

they've produced a lot of crap, I think these 2 are among their best.

I like the 70s Chicago radio hits..Make me Smile, Beginnings, just You And Me,...etc. It's part of the sound track of my childhood.
    other then Chicago IX, I've never owned a decently recorded album by them...hmm ...maybe that should be on the list.

suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by mbask View Post
    I like the 70s Chicago radio hits..Make me Smile, Beginnings, just You And Me,...etc. It's part of the sound track of my childhood.
    other then Chicago IX, I've never owned a decently recorded album by them...hmm ...maybe that should be on the list.

suggestions?
    though somewhat dated the only one i would ever own is the first one.

though somewhat dated the only one i would ever own is the first one.
    are you referring to the one before they were "Chicago" ??

with "I'm a man" and freeform guitar ? and the group was called "Chicago Transit Authority" ?

that would be the one.later they kind of drifted into the fm staple stuff that i dont care for

that would be the one.later they kind of drifted into the fm staple stuff that i dont care for
    Jim

I was just listening to one of my favs "Blood , Sweat & Tears" GH. Wud think you like too ?

Jim

I was just listening to one of my favs "Blood , Sweat & Tears" GH. Wud think you like too ?
    Now you're talkin' my lingo! I recently grabbed a remastered copy of the second album - God Bless the Child, Sometimes in Winter .... ahh!
    That's some horns!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Jim

it has been said that chicago were rock guys playing jazz and bst was jazz guys playing rock.i still listen to them but i havnt got around to buying all the ones i want.i think that the bst 3 is still the best.the only one i own is child is father to the man.my old guitar player from the band days actually played with david clayton thomas in the early toronto times.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Now you're talkin' my lingo! I recently grabbed a remastered copy of the second album - God Bless the Child, Sometimes in Winter .... ahh!
    That's some horns!
    Its funny HJ ....I generally dont like horns. BUT , with BST they are very nice - Love you more than you'll ever know- Incredible !!

Thread Information