Page 3 of 721 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Playing Now

Well funny thing is if Roger Waters was not the flux that kept the tunes flowing why did pink floyd hire a bunch of writers to whip up all those tunes for the division bell cd. And why did it sound like a remix of the wall.??? I also believe that the main idea for the wall was water,s idea althought in any band there is going to be some input from the other members. If you do not want to purchase the dvd you should try to borrow a copy. The band line up is made up of members of claptons band as well as others that make it a joy to watch. And by the way i am a big fan of David Gilmour and his guitar tone is to die for.

jontherev

Blue Floyd?

Just wondering if anyone saw these guys play. It was a Pink Floyd cover band in the late 90's and early 00's. Members included Allen Woody (from Allman Bros. and Gov't Mule), Matt Abts (Mule), Marc Ford (Black Crowes), Johnny Neel (Allman Bros.) and Barry Oakley. They never came out with an album, but you can download plenty of their live shows off the net. Very interesting takes on Floyd material. The show I saw was one of my favorites of all time. I also saw PF once in the early 90's, and they were quite good themselves.

RIP 2009
    Does anyone remember that Pink Floyd album cover that had all their live audio components laid out on a parking lot, like they were getting ready to load weapons on a plane? (UmmaGumma?). I can't remember what the components were, but is sure was impressive! I may even have that album in storage somewhere - I'm taking a week off coming up to go through all that stuff, and if I come across it I'll post a pic.

John

Deadheads...

OK, I'm home alone (thus dominating all FIVE Main Forums... - sorry...).

But this DVD is stunner. The vid is old school - cameras only at FOH, and sidestage, none of the crouching shots from underneath the frets - but the mix is really, really good. I believe, in my heart-of-hearts this is what JBL designed the 4345's for. Those 2245's effortlessly reproduce - with punch - the intricate bass lines Phil Lesh lays-down through his dual pairs of monstrous 18 cabinets. I'm not a Donna-Jean or Keith Godcheaux fan, but this is still a really good show.

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/p..._id=171&sfid=7
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Originally posted by johnaec
    Does anyone remember that Pink Floyd album cover that had all their live audio components laid out on a parking lot, like they were getting ready to load weapons on a plane? (UmmaGumma?). I
    This...?

http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/disco/umma/umma_album.html (go to Album Artwork)

Odd - that seemed impossible to cut/past - had to hard enter it...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RIP 2009
    That may be it, Bo, though I *thought* it showed more stuff. Since that was over half a lifetime ago for me, 'don't know how well I can count on my memory...

John

Allman Bros - Live at the Beacon

If you're not heard this, you will want one. It is simply the best ABB since the 70's. My grab is, they've studied some of the old recordings, and have revived the old versions - perfectly and artfully. According to Warren Hayes' interview in RS, he, for one, brought back some Duane licks from the Fillmore Live shows. The band is ever-so-tight and well rehearsed. Great vid editing too, with just enough of everything (and crafty melding of the multiple night stand).

Giskard - I'm reminded of the long-promised acoustic CD I offered. I've lately heard a few cuts on alt radio stations, but still think this one is not released. Soon enough...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Hello Bo and thank you very much for the CD
    My wife really liked it!

Here's what else I listened to this morning while evaluating those 240Ti's I stole off eBay a few weeks ago. Polypropylene & foil and polystyrene & foil bypass capacitors installed in place of the stock JBL metallized polypropylene bypass capacitors.

Dood! Great selection! Man, I need to make a road-trip to the buckeye state, for sure!!

And, that Acoustic Alchemy was a different treat - you reminded me of the "Brothers" show I meant to send: June 1992, acoustic, a benefit show long OOP. Duping it, now...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

This is a must have in your DVD collection

Diana Krall "Live In Paris" Excellent musicians caught in one of those "Magic Moments" that come along only once in a while.

This is still my favorite DVD on the Westlakes "Simply stunning recording!"

The imaging and depth of soundstage is incredible!

"A Case Of You" played at 105db in a dim lit room will give you goosebumps I promise.

Dave Grusin - Migration

Time to re-light this long worn Thread...

Our inimitable Infredible turned me onto this. Whoa...

We heard it first on the May, and I simply had to buy a copy!!

Here, at home on the 4345's in this room, the recording is even more remarkable (JMHO). The bottom-end is SO full with the 2245's. Wow. And, a very open and smooth high-end. Feels like even better than a live performance because the LF is so optimally reproduced.

Branford Marsalis, Omar Hakim, Hugh Masekela, Marcus Miller, Mike Fisher, Harvey Mason, Abraham Laboriel, Carlos Rios and Don Grusin. Besides the great aggravation of artists, Grusin does a great job of overseeing an apparently compression-free recording. Recorded at Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, Record Plant Stage M, Hollywood and Clinton Recording, Manhattan.

Fred, you gotta make the trek down here!

FWIW, Infredible and Speakerdave have the most interesting music collections I've ever come across.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thanks Bo

Will grab a copy Bo. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Lets keep this thread alive.

Leonard Cohen "Ten New Songs"

Very nicely done. If you like LC this is a must have for a high end system.

Also a DVD I picked up. Eric Clapton "One More Car One More Rider"

Excellent live recording with Steve Gadd on the kit, Billy Preston and other great musicians.

Ken

ha! Lots of familiar covers there. The classic Crusaders album was Scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Hello Bo and thank you very much for the CD
    My wife really liked it!

Here's what else I listened to this morning while evaluating those 240Ti's I stole off eBay a few weeks ago. Polypropylene & foil and polystyrene & foil bypass capacitors installed in place of the stock JBL metallized polypropylene bypass capacitors.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    ha! Lots of familiar covers there. The classic Crusaders album was Scratch.
    I was just listening to "Street Life" on vinyl this weekend. It's a really good recording - better than I remembered. The sax really jumps out of the mix and the bass is super clean and tight.

Continuing my voyage of vinyl re-discovery (no pun intended )...

jblnut

Joni Mitchell - Travelogue

A most compelling compilation.

Well know songs by the artist in completely novel renderings, with orchestral or jazz band backing - by her choice. Wonderful production - at least here in this space of mine!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information