Page 267 of 721 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277317367 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    heck, thot I was the only one who knew abt Dwight ....
    used the clip of DF doing "I gotta get outta here" * as a windows startup sound at work
    (usually on the few weeks before vacation) ...drove the cow orkers nutz

* I wanna get outta here I wanna get outta here I I've gotta I've gotta get outta here
    I I gotta get out of here I gotta get out of here I gotta get outta here I gotta get outta here
    Ya gotta let me out of here let me outta here I gotta get outta here I gotta get outta here
    NICE!!! That "startup sound" should wake up the workplace in the morning! One of my all time favorite AC songs.....

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Alice Cooper - The Alice Cooper Show
    (1977, Warner Bros)

It's too bad that a live album wasn't issued before 1974. I saw them for the Billion Dollar Babies tour in 1973, great show. This has some of the great early material but it's not the same band by 1977 when this was recorded in Las Vegas. A dollar bin find from last month.
    agree, pre '74 up to Billion Dollar Babies the band was about some very formidable and tasty rock. Later on it's theatrics and AC's battle with alcoholism.
    Yeah, the later band, while some may argue were more technically skilled on their instruments, just didn't play with the "passion" that the original band did, not to mention, didn't co-write phenomenal songs like the original band did.

I wish I had seen Alice back in the glory days--Billion Dollar Babies era must have been a phenomenal tour! Would have been great to release a live album back then. Fortunately, at the time there was a theatrical release of the tour (in theaters) called "Good To See You Again" which is a full length concert film of the "Billion Dollar Babies" tour. The music/musicianship, song selection, theatrics, high level energy performance, is stellar IMHO for this concert film. Only possible downside is on some of the songs they don't show the band as much as they show Alice's theatrics, but that's not surprising considering how controversial/outlandish their live show was considered back then. It was finally re-issued by Shout Factory/Eagle Vision a few years ago--highly recommended. Even if you're not a fan of rock concert DVD's, just turn off your TV and it makes an incredible live album of what was probably one of Alice's best tours......

Lots of info plus track listing etc. on the live film here: (also available on Blue Ray)
    http://www.amazon.com/Good-See-Again...9048615&sr=1-1

Here's a clip

:

Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Zuma
    (1975, Reprise) mastered by George Horn

Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Dave Mason - It's Like You Never Left
    (1973, Columbia) Demonstration/NFS;

I spotted a Steve Hoffman mastered copy of this title on the S&P label the other day, so I wanted to pull out my copy for a listen. It's a nice warm early 70s recording, lots of bass. a great title too, with Graham Nash, George Harrison (credited as "son of Harry"), Jim Keltner, Carl Radle, Greg Reeves, even Stevie Wonder on one track, along with other uncredited greats. The radio station sticker on the front cover has been on there since April 17, 1976 according to the date stamp and it's not coming off without taking the cover with it.

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
    (1969, Island) 1976 US issue on Antilles; STERLING in the deadwax

a nice thrift store find in August.

couple of gambles

Quicksilver past their prime, w/o Duncan
    & Roger Waters "Radio Kaos" ...reviews call it
    either FANTASTIC or SH1T ...will find out when
    it comes up in rotation ..
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Pixies - Trompe le monde
    [1991. 4AD]

Name:  pixies 1a.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  182.2 KBName:  pixies 2.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  253.1 KB

PLANET OF SOUND

Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Zuma
    (1975, Reprise) mastered by George Horn
    For me, a masterwork. The usual Classic Rock tracks pale next to this assault.
    Dave Mason - It's Like You Never Left
    (1973, Columbia) Demonstration/NFS;
    Dave Mason should be revered instead of living in relative obscurity. I think he is still in California? He is greater than almost everyone who is now widely heard.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Moby Grape - Great Grape
    (1972, Columbia)

A compilation from one of the great bands from the late 60s SF scene. includes the song "8:05" such great melodies, and Skip Spence's "Omaha" and "Motorcycle Irene". a $2 record show pickup last week.

Steve Hackett - Vogage Of The Acolyte
    (1975, Charisma) UK pressing; ARUN in the deadwax, mastered by Arun Chakraverty

debut solo record from the Genesis guitarist. I also have the US release on the Chrysalis green label. this one was a 99 cent thrift find a few years ago.

Dave Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Dave Mason should be revered instead of living in relative obscurity. I think he is still in California? He is greater than almost everyone who is now widely heard.
    I agree, and I think the same can be said of his fellow bandmate in Traffic, Steve Winwood - maybe less obsurity for Winwood but he deserves more too. Mason might have fared better if he hadn't kept quitting and re-joining Traffic? An interesting bit on wikipedia:

Mason was a friend of legendary guitarist Jimi Hendrix, whose career was launched in England in
    1966. Hendrix first heard the song "All Along the Watchtower", by Bob
    Dylan
    , at a party to which he was invited by Mason, and promptly
    decided to record his own version. That night he recorded the song at Olympic Studios, South West London, with Mason playing acoustic
    guitar
    . It was released on the Electric Ladyland album in September 1968.[5] When the
    song came out as a single in October, it hit #5 on the UK
    Singles Chart
    and was a Top 40 in the U.S. Mason later recorded his own version of the song
    on his self-titled 1974 album, Dave Mason, with Bob Glaub on bass.

Lothar and the Hand People - This Is It, Machines
    [1986. See for Miles]

Name:  oIMG_0401.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  224.2 KBName:  oIMG_0402.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  278.0 KB

Great comp. of this bizarre underground 60's garage/psych/pop/avantgarde band. Very hard to categorize it . Somehow reminds me of Brian Eno's early 70's stuff.
    Wacky but good

Dave Mason, Cass Elliot - Dave Mason & Cass Elliot
    (1971, Blue Thumb)

with Mason's great work on acoustic and electric guitar, and songwriting.

Jack Bruce - Out Of The Storm
    (1974, RSO) Porky / Pecko in the deadwax, side 1/2; mastered by George Peckham

with tasty backing from Lou Reed/Alice Cooper guitarist Steve Hunter. a record show grab last weekend.

The Leaves - Hey Joe
    (1966, Mira) Stereo pressing

Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk - Miles & Monk At Newport
    (1963, Columbia) '63 Stereo pressing with "360 Sound" in black print on label

One side each of Davis' and Monk's appearance at the '63 Newport Jazz festival. Although they don't play together, the Miles Sextet (the Kind Of Blue era group with Coltrane and Adderly) perform "Straight, No Chaser" a Monk composition.

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
    (1973, Warner Bros)

I saw the concert for this record back in May, 1973 it was a lot of fun and quite a spectacle.

Thread Information