Page 257 of 721 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307357 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by renerox View Post
    Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
    [1975. DiscReet]

Attachment 52942Attachment 52941

My favorite Z. album.
    Great pick--one of my favorites as well. As you probably noticed, the first Zappa video I linked to in my previous post is a live version of "Inca Roads" (studio version originally appeared on One Size Fits All)--sounds great live too! His band was (scary) good in those days--Chester Thompson on drums, George Duke on keys, Ruth Underwood on vibes, Tom Fowler on bass, Napoleon Murphy Brock on vocals/woodwinds......

The statement "...waste my listening time on ..." is kinda Politically Incorrect but
    gonna pull the plug on my side

Maybe we could start a new thread with this subject.
    been there ...done that , you missed the party ... (261 posts)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...you-cant-stand
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    gonna pull the plug on my side
    Hey you don't have to... This is a free country

Yugoslavia or USA ?
    Both
    Keep on rockin in a free world...

grabbed this at La Bibliotecca

and kept thinking that Renerox would enjoy this as much as I did

Editorial Reviews

WHERE THE ACTION IS! compiles 101 tracks that mix many of the city's brightest stars like The Byrds, Love, The Doors, The Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield, Captain Beefheart, The Mamas & The Papas, Lowell George, Iron Butterfly, with talented artists whose stellar songcraft sadly flew under the radar The Seeds, The Electric Prunes, The Peanut Butter Conspiracy, The Everpresent Fullness, The Bobby Fuller Four.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Action-A...6468379&sr=8-2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits 2
    (1967, Columbia) MADE IN HOLLAND on the label; CBS 62911

an international only compilation with an interesting playlist... from information at this site.[QUOTE]Like"]http://www.searchingforagem.com/1960s/InternationalCompilationsDylan_1960s.htm"]site[/URL].
    Like[/URL] the first Dutch Greatest Hits (see above), this album had a quirky tracklist.
    Side 1: I Want You; One Of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later); It Takes A Lot To Laugh (It Takes A Train To Cry); Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues; Masters Of War; Chimes Of Freedom
    Side 2: Just Like A Woman; Obviously 5 Believers; Rainy Day Women # 12 & 35; Gates Of Eden; Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat; Absolutely Sweet Marie (misspelled as "Mary" on both the rear sleeve and the Side 2 label of the LP release and the rear insert and CD of the CD release below)
    I can't date the label but it's not the original pressing Orange/Black label, I'm guessing it's 70's issue. I grabbed this at HPB on the way home from work today for $6.

Zappa

Well, as Frank would say - watch out where the huskies go... ...interesting reading the discussion and opinions on FZ, sorry if my mini-rant was misplaced here. I will keep listening and I do enjoy the music, like with his pal Don Van Vliet, I'm still digesting and deciphering the material (at arms length and holding my nose at times ).
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Various Artists - Alternatives
    (1969, Warner Bros/Reprise)

one of the series of WB/Reprise samplers. liner notes: "Heavy on your mind, but not on your tone arm".
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

I have not heard them all, but the Zappa project closest to my Alexis de Tocqueville eye on our culture heart is An Evening With Wild Man Fischer.

When I saw Frank and The Mothers live, and spoke to him afterword, it was obvious he was operating musically and culturally light years beyond what most of pop music was about at the time, or today. He was the next best thing to Milton Babbitt crossed with Nabokov.

I admit that Babbitt is the one I would be most likely to play at this point, but I have never had the Fischer double album leave my consciousness, even forty-three years later. "The Leaves Are Falling" goes through my head a lot. Almost as often as "Books of Moses" and "Weighted Down" by Skip Spence. If I were to play all of this on my stereo, I would have to work "I Heard Her Call My Name" and perhaps "Sister Ray" into the mix somewhere. Along with heavy Jazz, Glenn Gould, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Pretenders II and some Santana, this set would involve most of the most powerful music I have ever heard.

To be fair, there are hundreds of albums/CDs in the hunt, but these works are a cut above. With heavy Jazz, there may be thousands of works in this category for me. I would listen to all of this before playing even one Classic Rock track, but that is the mind of "Wild Man" Clark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf_Zfpq3gqk&
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Yeah !!! Awesome collection, like the other Rhino 60's comps [Nuggets I & II]

An unparalleled listening experience

It's a rainy day here in Belgrade, summer almost gone. But tonight is a special night.
    B R I A N F E R R Y live! in Belgrade Arena
    Master of coolness

Don't know 'bout you guys but I'm gonna snatch some hot chicks tonight

And keep in mind - My music is better than yours

It's a rainy day here in Belgrade, summer almost gone. But tonight is a special night.
    B R I A N F E R R Y live! in Belgrade Arena
    Master of coolness
    Nice--enjoy the show! I didn't know he was touring. Just checked his current tour schedule and the closest he comes to here (Rochester) is Cleveland--a four hour drive each way. I have to admit, a road trip is tempting.....

Brian Ferry Tour Dates: http://www.facebook.com/bryanferry?sk=events

It's a rainy day here in Rochester, NY as well. Found myself reaching for some sounds to take my mind off the bleak weather......

David Gilmour's first two solo LP's. Phenomenal stuff. His solo albums were never as popular as Pink Floyd---a shame really because there are so many great songs/playing by David and co. on these albums featuring Pete Townshend, etc......
    http://www.amazon.com/Where-Action-A...6468379&sr=8-2
    Some great tracks on this compilation (and some nice rarities). Rhino has done a great job preserving history on so many of their releases..... Could hear that distinctive "Wrecking Crew sound" on some of these tracks (inc. such great session players as Leon Russell--pre Asylum Choir).......

Thumbs up

Hey Clark. Thanks for the Babbitt youtube link.

I come from the...

Name:  sin 1.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  248.8 KBName:  sin 2.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  266.2 KBName:  sin 5.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  236.7 KB

Great 50's R-Billy loosers. There's even a message on the label bottom .
    It's a little bit rude but I agree very much indeed

snagged these 3 today for a total of 50 cents ,,,the loose Soft Cell may be interesting , its a 45 rpm 12incher ...need to clean it a bit before checking out ... and the comp album has decent track listing
    Attached Images Attached Images    

snagged these 3 today for a total of 50 cents ,,,the loose Soft Cell may be interesting , its a 45 rpm 12incher ...need to clean it a bit before checking out ... and the comp album has decent track listing
    RAM is one of my all time favorite Beatles solo LP's. I was at my local record store several years ago and the guy I deal with there recommended the 24 karat gold remastered RAM CD. He said "the sound quality will knock your socks off". He's a real vinyl aficionado (as I am) so I was surprised to hear him rave about this CD. I bought it, and was blown away by this recording. After hearing the first song, I studied the CD info and learned it was "Remastered for CD by Steve Hoffman"..."The original unequalized two-track master mixes were used in the making of this compact disc". I'm so used to CD's often times sounding inferior to vinyl recordings of the same album, I confess that I was surprised that this CD does sound substantially better than either of my two (mint) vinyl copies of RAM. Highly recommended----Steve Hoffman is a wizard in my book.......

Thread Information