Page 256 of 721 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,840 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Bachman Turner Overdrive - self titled
    (1973, Mercury) G.K. in the deadwax ; mastered by Gilbert Kong
    must be on the same wavelength today...I've had BTO Gold playing for the last hour ..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The Mothers of Invention ~ Burnt Weany Sandwich

Bizzare Reprise

The Rolling Stones - Aftermath
    (1966, Decca) 1975 German Nova 6.21396 reissue; MADE IN GERMANY in the deadwax

purchased new back in the mid 70s, I'm glad now that I shelled-out the $2 extra for the import instead of US pressing.

BTO

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    must be on the same wavelength today...I've had BTO Gold playing for the last hour ..
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Flo And Eddie - Illegal, Immoral And Fattening
    (1975, Columbia)

Volman and Kaylan, founding members of the Turtles and played with the Mothers of Invention. a mix of live and studio, lots of music parody ("sometimes it's a fine line between Joni and Yoko") and those great harmonies. another one from a pile of free records that I received last weekend.

DMZ - s/t
    [1978. Sire]

Name:  DMZ 1.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  233.0 KBName:  DMZ 2.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  242.4 KBName:  DMZ 3.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  218.2 KB

Flo And Eddie production

Explosive debut for this Boston punkers with covers of Northwest garage legends The Sonics "Cinderella" & The Wailers "Out of our tree".

Flo And Eddie - Illegal, Immoral And Fattening
    (1975, Columbia)
    Volman and Kaylan, founding members of the Turtles and played with the Mothers of Invention. a mix of live and studio, lots of music parody ("sometimes it's a fine line between Joni and Yoko") and those great harmonies. another one from a pile of free records that I received last weekend.
    Great LP!!!! I own the first four Flo and Eddie albums (by far their best IMHO) and you hit the nail on the head--their harmonies, parody/humor, and melodies/songwriting are uniquely fantastic. Illegal Immoral and Fattening has the most music parody of any of their (non Zappa) LP's (it is the LP that most closely resembles their work with Zappa IMHO), but all four of these LP's have great songs, harmonies, melodies, and that distinctive sense of humor..... A lot of people aren't aware that they've provided vocals/backing vocals on tons of albums by other artists like (this list is from their wiki page):

1971 T.Rex..............T. Rex
    1971 T.Rex..............Electric Warrior
    1971 John Lennon & Yoko Ono...Sometime in New York City
    1972 Roger McGuinn......Peace on You
    1972 T.Rex..............Slider
    1973 Hoyt Axton.........Life Machine
    1973 Navasota
    1975 Michael Quatro.....In Collaboration with the Gods
    1975 Ray Manzarek.......The Whole Thing Started with Rock n' Roll

With John Belushi

With Bruce Springsteen
    in concert
    1976 Stephen Stills.....Illegal Stills
    1977 David Cassidy......The Higher They Climb
    1977 Keith Moon.........Two Sides of the Moon
    1977 Tim Moore..........White Sun
    1978 DMZ................DMZ
    1978 Good Rats..........Rats to Riches
    1979 Alice Cooper.......Flush the Fashion
    1979 Alice Cooper.......On the Inside
    1979 California Dreaming Soundtrack
    1979 Roadmaster.........Roadmaster
    1979 Roger Youdouris
    1979 T.Rex..............Futuristic Dragon
    1979 Terry Mace
    1980 Blondie............Autoamerican
    1980 Bruce Springsteen..The River
    1980 Tonio K............Amerika
    1980 Van Wilks..........Bombay Tears

With Alice Cooper and
    Keith Moon in concert
    1981 Al Stewart.........Live/Indian Summer
    1981 California USA.....Compilation
    1981 The Knack..........Round Trip
    1982 Alice Cooper.......Zipper Catches Skin
    1982 CheckPoint Charlie...Salz & Phiffer
    1982 Livingston Taylor
    1982 Psychedelic Furs...Forever Now
    1982 Sammy Hagar........Full Moon(Fast Times at Ridgemont High track)

Grace Slick, Paul Kantner, Howard, Bernie Taupin, Alice Cooper
    1983 Ava Cherry
    1983 Burton Cummings
    1983 Espionage
    1983 Paul Kantner.......Planet Earth Rock & Roll Orchestra
    1986 Adventures of the American Rabbit (Soundtrack)
    1987 Andy Taylor........Thunder
    1988 Adam Bomb
    1988 Darlene Love.......Paint Another Picture
    1988 Gavin Friday.......Adam and Eve

The 1980 Promo photo
    1989 Jefferson Airplane..Jefferson Airplane
    1991 Bruce Springsteen.."LIVE"
    1992 Gavin Friday.......Each Man Kills The Thing He Loves
    1992 The Ramones........MONDO BIZARRO
    1993 BEST OF LOUIS BERTIGNAC
    1993 Bruce Springsteen..GREATEST HITS
    1995 Duran Duran........Thank You
    1998 Johnny Popstar Luv Explosion

Ian and Sylvia - self titled
    (1970, MGM) STERLING in the deadwax, side 2

a compilation of songs from their previously released '67 and '68 titles on MGM. I listened to a compilation cd yesterday of their earlier hits, and decided I need to hear more this morning.

Oops, forgot to mention I also have this Flo and Eddie 2009 release---a 2 CD set of classic live performances from 1979 to 1994 recorded live at The Bottom Line (lots of great music parody on this set too--Weird Al owes these guys!/he doesn't hold a candle to them either)......

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Bob View Post
    The Mothers of Invention ~ Burnt Weany Sandwich

Bizzare Reprise

Frank Zappa--What can I say...... I think he will be remembered hundreds of years from now as one of the great musical geniuses of the 20th century. He mastered/wrote/recorded/performed in so many genres during his (all too short) lifetime including 50's rock, 60's rock, 60's psychedelic, jazz, classical, fusion, metal, classic (70's) rock, etc. and parodied many of these styles as well! I own (almost) all of his albums and have bought them in multiple formats over the years--here are just a very few favorites of mine.....

The Standells - The Hot Ones!
    (1966, Tower) T 5049 mono pressing

Flo and Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by voice of theatr View Post
    Great LP!!!! I own the first four Flo and Eddie albums (by far their best IMHO) and you hit the nail on the head--their harmonies, parody/humor, and melodies/songwriting are uniquely fantastic. Illegal Immoral and Fattening has the most music parody of any of their (non Zappa) LP's (it is the LP that most closely resembles their work with Zappa IMHO), but all four of these LP's have great songs, harmonies, melodies, and that distinctive sense of humor..... A lot of people aren't aware that they've provided vocals/backing vocals on tons of albums by other artists like (this list is from their wiki page):

1971 T.Rex..............T. Rex
    1971 T.Rex..............Electric Warrior
    1971 John Lennon & Yoko Ono...Sometime in New York City
    1972 Roger McGuinn......Peace on You
    1972 T.Rex..............Slider
    1973 Hoyt Axton.........Life Machine
    1973 Navasota
    1975 Michael Quatro.....In Collaboration with the Gods
    1975 Ray Manzarek.......The Whole Thing Started with Rock n' Roll
    Wow, quite a list. I knew that they did backups on a lot of great records but I didn't realize they were that busy.

The Wailers - Wailers Wailers Everywhere
    (1965, Etiquette) LP-023

a $1 garage sale find earlier this summer.

Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by voice of theatr View Post
    Frank Zappa--What can I say...... I think he will be remembered hundreds of years from now as one of the great musical geniuses of the 20th century.
    I have a lot of Zappa and MOI records and I appreciate the music for the clever and innovative playing and amazing arrangements but the stuff doesn't stick for me, there's something missing. Ok I get that life is weird and bizzarre and worthy of parody and tasteless, sarcastic lyrics and music, maybe I don't have enough exposure but I think I'm missing if he had anything (else) to say? maybe thats the point and I missing it, oh well.

The Wailers - Wailers Wailers Everywhere
    (1965, Etiquette) LP-023 a $1 garage sale find earlier this summer.
    I'm gettin' a little bit jealous
    Such fine garage records just for $1, it's surrealistic & out of sight.

Blues Magoos - Electric Comic Book
    [1967. Mercury]

Name:  blues magoos 1b.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  237.2 KBName:  blues magoos 2.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  227.8 KB

Stayin' in same groove.

I'm missing it too ...

Was scratching my noggin during this last ZappaLoveFest ...some of the titles are cute, one play only , but there is nothing that I'd want to own ..... SLF wrote my feelings on Zappa before I could. for me, there's just too much good stuff out there to waste my listening time on Z
    Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan
    I have a lot of Zappa and MOI records and I appreciate the music for the clever and innovative playing and amazing arrangements but the stuff doesn't stick for me, there's something missing. Ok I get that life is weird and bizzarre and worthy of parody and tasteless, sarcastic lyrics and music, maybe I don't have enough exposure but I think I'm missing if he had anything (else) to say? maybe thats the point and I missing it, oh well.
    Actually, I usually find SLF's comments to be very insightful and even in this case they touch on several poignant aspects of Frank's music. He mentions "clever and innovative playing", "amazing arrangements", and says that maybe he doesn't have enough exposure but he thinks he's "missing if he had anything (else) to say? maybe thats the point and I missing it, oh well." I think if SpeakerLabFan did have more exposure as he mentions (to certain Zappa LP's in particular), he'd be a real fan--especially if he likes Flo and Eddie "Illegal, Immoral, and Fattening" (a very Zappa influenced/Zappaesque LP). I like that he's got an open mind and says he may just need more exposure and likes the "clever and innovative playing, amazing arrangements". I'd be the first to say that Frank's music covers a wide spectrum and some albums are right up my alley, and some I rarely listen to. That's part of his genius IMHO. For example, I may not listen to much country music, but Frank could write and play country and actually do justice to it. How many artists do you listen to that can do rock, jazz, classical, country, fusion, etc. When I say he was a musical genius, that's part of what I mean. (not to mention his amazing writing and arranging and playing skills). And it just so happens, some of those styles I like and IMHO he does them quite well. Think of some of the artists who's rock careers really took off thanks to playing with Frank. He introduced artists like Jean Luc Ponty, Chester Thompson, George Duke, etc. to the masses/rock community--he could smell talent a mile away (and they obviously appreciated his talent enough to join his band).

Personally, I'm just not of the mindset to say that what someone else listens to here on this forum is a waste of time as you say about Zappa, Seawolf. I would never say that bands that Seawolf posts about like the Bee Gees and Billy Idol are a waste of time (some of their stuff wasn't bad--I try to keep an open mind to all styles of music and believe music appreciation is in the ear of the beholder and never call music that someone else likes a waste of time or categorize it/belittle it as "cute"/worthy of "one play only"). If you prefer the Bee Gees and Billy Idol to Zappa, more power to you and I won't call them a waste of time and I also won't say that you obviously need to buy some Q-Tips or some real speakers (kidding). No, I won't stoop to that level I just don't see the merit or need in saying that music someone else on this forum likes is a waste of time "there's just too much good stuff out there to waste my listening time on Z" Seawolf, I know you've had some confrontations on your "Greatest ALBUM ever??" thread but I'm hoping that kind of thing won't creep into this thread. I am not confrontational by nature, but I will reply/stand up for an artist that someone on this forum likes being called things like a waste of time, cute one play only--that is confrontational and uncalled for.

Yes, Zappa parodied cultures, lifestyles, and musical styles, etc. like no one else could. That was only a small part of his genius--drawing attention to the ridiculous side of life (and anyone who doesn't see that there is a huge ridiculous side to life in these times should probably read the paper, turn on the t.v. or buy some glasses and look out the window). I'm sure you see that Seawolf. Please keep in mind that--no other musical artist has ever addressed that (long neglected in the music world) side of life like Zappa could-- before you belittle him or call his art a waste of time. I don't listen to Zappa for his lyrics anyways (although I often find them funny and insightful), I listen to his music for the songwriting and melodies and "innovative playing and amazing arrangements" to quote SLF. If you had ever seen him live (not live on tape--a very different experience), you may have been blown away by his performance/band/songs. If you never saw him live, you really missed out because that is an area where he really shined brightly. I know he's no Billy Idol or Barry Gibb, but oh well.....

OK, enough defense of FZ.....

Anyways, here are a few live Zappa clips. I wish I could find better quality videos of some of these live performances--but at least the musical quality speaks for itself if you have an open mind IMHO......

with Jean Luc Ponty

......his criticism of American life was novel back then, but now its widely done.
    Agreed--something I forgot to mention--he was way ahead of his time musically and lyrically--another aspect of his genius. His lyrics poked fun at things like politicians' sex scandals/double standards as well as hippy lifestyles/philosophy back in the mid sixties--nothing, not even his (hippy) fans were out of bounds for his wit.....

If you will re-read, you will see that the quote says "waste my listening time on Z" ....your time is your own to listen to anything you want.
    Yeah, but when you say "for me, there's just too much good stuff out there to waste my listening time on Z" that sounded like a pretty loaded statement--too much GOOD stuff out there to WASTE my listening time on Z". I'll take your word for it as far as your intentions. You've posted tons of great music here and on other threads like best song and best album threads and I've enjoyed your posts and album pics (and album picks!)--my apologies if I misunderstood you. We can certainly agree to disagree on Frank's talents, I respect everyone's opinions and tastes especially on something that is so arguably subjective as music (vibrations in the air).....

Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
    [1975. DiscReet]

Name:  IMG_0341.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  262.0 KBName:  IMG_0342.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  275.7 KB

My favorite Z. album. Just to fire up the discusion.
    The statement "...waste my listening time on ..." is kinda Politically Incorrect but

somehow I kinda like it It's fun & adds some spice to this thread.
    Things like this could become legendary

Like Howard Beale said : "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!"

This is my Politically Incorrect statement: I don't want to waste my listening time on...
    Elton John, Phil Collins, Eros Ramazotti... To name just a few
    Maybe we could start a new thread with this subject.

The best is yet to come [F.S.]

Thread Information