Page 249 of 721 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259299349 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,735 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    (1974, Warner Bros)

Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man
    (1965, Columbia)

debut record for the Byrds with the wonderful harmonies from McGuinn, Clark and Crosby and the distinctive jangling sound of McGuinn's Rickenbacker guitar. What a great album. #232/500 on RollingStone Magazine's top records of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Pete Townshend - Who Came First
    (1972, Track)

US pressing, gatefold cover with the poster.
    Nice pick--Amazing debut solo album by Pete Townshend--great version of Pure and Easy, Let's See Action, Time is Passing, etc...... I prefer this album to the follow up "Rough Mix" (also with Ronnie Lane) although there are some solid tracks on that LP as well......

Quote Originally Posted by renerox View Post
    Roxy Music - Country Life
    [1974. Polydor]

Attachment 52597

Roxy in top form. Cover says it all. 70's good life & sleaze. Album title is from the British rural lifestyle magazine Country Life. Ranked number 387 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
    Bryan Ferry, king of coolness
    One of my all time favorite Roxy Music LP's. I love their early stuff (although I'm in the minority as Avalon was their most popular album). I have both versions of Country Life--the censored cover and the uncensored.... I'm a huge Eddie Jobson fan but their pre-Jobson LP's are amazing as well.

Coincidentally, I was just listening to Phil Manzanera's (Roxy guitarist) 1978 solo LP the other day "K=Scope". A nice album if you want to hear something different from the Roxy camp. Features an incredible lineup of talent including members of Split Enz! Eddie Rayner, Tim Finn and Neal Finn (later of Crowded House), also featuring John Wetton (!King Crimson, U.K., Family, Uriah Heep, etc.), Mel Collins (Camel, Clannad, Fish Out of Water (Squire), too many more to mention), Godley and Creme, Simon Phillips, Francis Monkman (Curved Air), and more......

Interesting interview clip here (regarding Jobson) from the "official" Roxy Documentary DVD....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxuAxSwRSa8

Speaking of solo albums, I spun this one yesterday. Annie Haslam (of the band Renaissance) first solo LP (1977). Features her (then) husband Roy Wood (founder of the Move and ELO). Not as consistent as her work with Renaissance but features the great track "If I Were Made of Music" (written by Renaissance bassist Jon Camp)........ I saw Renaissance here in Rochester, NY about a year ago--(they are back together featuring Annie Haslam and primary composer/guitarist Michael Dunford). Great concert--Annie's voice still has that amazingly pure quality to it. They're coming back here this fall (check their tour schedule to find a venue near you). On this upcoming tour they will be performing two classic Renaissance LP's in their entirety: "Turn of the Cards", and "Scheherazade and Other Stories". A must see for any Renaissance fans out there....
    TOUR DATES here: http://renaissancetouring.com/2011/0...ll-tour-dates/

I'll have to break out old vinyl for this! Thanks for the links -
    - there's 2 shows near me - tho I'd prefer the Birchmere to Rams Head Inn ..

nice writeup in the wikipedia

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nce_%28band%29

Quote Originally Posted by voice of theatr View Post
    Speaking of solo albums, I spun this one yesterday. Annie Haslam (of the band Renaissance) first solo LP (1977). Features her (then) husband Roy Wood (founder of the Move and ELO). Not as consistent as her work with Renaissance but features the great track "If I Were Made of Music" (written by Renaissance bassist Jon Camp)........ I saw Renaissance here in Rochester, NY about a year ago--(they are back together featuring Annie Haslam and primary composer/guitarist Michael Dunford). Great concert--Annie's voice still has that amazingly pure quality to it. They're coming back here this fall (check their tour schedule to find a venue near you). On this upcoming tour they will be performing two classic Renaissance LP's in their entirety: "Turn of the Cards", and "Scheherazade and Other Stories". A must see for any Renaissance fans out there....
    TOUR DATES here: http://renaissancetouring.com/2011/0...ll-tour-dates/

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

voice of theatr
    One of my all time favorite Roxy Music LP's. I love their early stuff
    Glad to hear that . I'm a hard core fan of Roxy and have almost all of their stuff . I like their solo & later stuff as well. Maybe you don't have these.

Name:  Roxy Music - siren.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  225.4 KBName:  Roxy Music - manifesto.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  257.4 KBName:  Roxy Music - avalon.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  197.7 KBName:  bryan - another.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  195.7 KBName:  bryan - bride.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  225.5 KB

Right now I'm listening to

Roxy Music - MANIFESTO [1979. Polydor]

At this point they made a come back with new sound & vision. They created a new music style, later became known as New Romantics.

Yeay, big time Roxy Fans! Seen them a number of times, and Ferry as well!
    Got all the Obi-sash mini-LP versions of the CDs when they remastered the catalog back around 2000.

Got him to sign my Mamouna CD last time I saw him at a small nightclub in DC (the 930 club) with Chris Spedding and the Ferry band at the time ... great stuff!

Glad to hear that . I'm a hard core fan of Roxy and have almost all of their stuff . I like their solo & later stuff as well. Maybe you don't have these.

At this point they made a come back with new sound & vision. They created a new music style, later became known as New Romantics.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

walked down the street to a GS

boxes of Beatles & Elvis vinyl in TC (thrashed condition) for $10-20 ea. ...but then in the dollar box was this apparently unplayed Heart picture disk ...and I like "Sons of the Pioneers" too ..$1.25 for both
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I have Siren (another Roxy LP with Eddie Jobson on keyboards) and I've heard Avalon and like them both. I've never heard Manifesto or the Ferry LP's though.........

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'll have to break out old vinyl for this! Thanks for the links -
    - there's 2 shows near me - tho I'd prefer the Birchmere to Rams Head Inn ..

nice writeup in the wikipedia

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nce_%28band%29
    Great! Hope you enjoy the concert. The band was really tight when I saw them last year--great drummer and Tom Brislin on keys (he's played with YES and CAMEL in the past--two amazing bands)--and the bassist played Jon Camp's bass parts to a "T" --Michael Dunford was in great form on guitar (as always) and as I mentioned--Annie's voice is still remarkable.......

voice of theatr
    I've never heard Manifesto or the Ferry LP's though.........

"Manifesto"
    & Ferry's "The Bride Stripped Bare" are great, I recommend both . "Another Time, Another Place" is so so too many covers.

More on Roxy...

Name:  roxy music - flash.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  238.6 KBName:  bryan - in your mind.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  231.8 KBName:  eno 3.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  242.3 KB

Spinning

BRIAN ENO
    - Here Come the Warm Jets
    [1974. E'G Records]

Name:  eno 1.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  224.1 KBName:  eno 2.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  198.6 KB

Beautiful day in Portland

tho I've been energy drained the last 3 days, seemed like a good time to get out on this group ride...

http://bikeportland.org/2011/08/26/s...188#more-58188
    http://bikeportland.org/2011/08/28/s...223#more-58223
    http://www.portlandsundayparkways.org/

...must have been 20,000+ riders , and the route ran within a block of CRM Records ....took a break from the ride and ducked in there ...came out with 5 $1 records....Guess Who , yup a common, but realized that I dont have it ...a better copy of WATT than I currently have....have read great things abt Stone The Crows with Maggie Bell, so thot I'd give her a try too.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

BACK TO THE GARAGE

Count Five - Psychotic Reaction: The Complete Count Five
    [1994. Performance] 1966. Lp + bonus trax

Name:  IMG_0280.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  256.8 KB

American Yardbirds.
    They kindda stare at the grave. Actually They look through the hole of the roof. Legendary cover. Double-Decker Bus still rocks hard today

Strawbs - Grave New World
    (1972, A&M)

british folk rock, progressive rock. Nicely recorded, you're in the studio, picking out the instruments. with the lyrics/instrumentation pamphlet.

BACK TO THE GARAGE

Count Five - Psychotic Reaction: The Complete Count Five
    [1994. Performance] 1966. Lp + bonus trax

Name:  IMG_0280.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  256.8 KB

American Yardbirds.
    They kindda stare at the grave. Actually They look through the hole of the roof. Legendary cover. Double-Decker Bus still rocks hard today
    A great classic 60's psychedelic record! I ran across a copy at a thrift store last year...

Thread Information