Page 240 of 721 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290340 ... LastLast
Results 3,586 to 3,600 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Richard Thompson - Daring Adventures
    (1986, Polydor) STERLING in deadwax; mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound

Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Richard Thompson - Across A Crowded Room
    (1985, Polydor) Promo/NFS stamp on back cover; mastered by Jack Skinner, Sterling Sound

produced by Joe Boyd, who signed Fairport Convention to their first record contract in 1967 on the strength of Thompson's guitar playing. with Dave Mattacks, Simon Nicol.

Chet Baker - Quietly There
    (1966, World Pacific) MONO pressing WP 1847

Chet Baker's trumpet cuts through the cheesy easylistening arrangements like a hot knife through a room temperature stick of butter, with his add libbing behind the strings. Includes Bacharach's Message To Michael,

George Harrison Documentary Will Premiere on HBO

Martin Scorcese-produced film will include unseen footage of the late Beatle

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...n-hbo-20110714

The Lost Beatles Photos: Rare Shots From 1964-1966

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ph...raphs-20110322

dug thru a big pile of Classic Rock albums yesterday and the best I could find was FM's "Future Games" .... gave it a spin, not very impressed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Early -

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

dug thru a big pile of Classic Rock albums yesterday and the best I could find was FM's "Future Games" .... gave it a spin, not very impressed.
    I am not impressed much by the Bob Welch work here, but knocked out by Danny Kirwan's, be it his Hank B. Marvin style or the Blues stuff ("Morning Rain" is one of my favorite guitar recordings of all time). I was a bit shocked a while ago when I came across a 1990's documentary about the original Fleetwood Mac consisting of mostly performances. It ends up that Peter gave Danny a lot of space and parts. Half of what I had thought the playing of Green was Kirwan's - even on "Oh Well." Peter Green's FM had two phenomenal guitarists! I don't know how I do not remember this from their live gig oh so long ago.

Mind you, some listeners love the Welch stuff and yawn at Kirwan (and earlier, Green!). This album is also hard to like if you don't fancy the work of Christine McVie. Luckily for me, I do.

Do you like Kiln House any better?
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Ten Years After - A Space In Time
    (1971, Columbia)

Future Games

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I am not impressed much by the Bob Welch work here, but knocked out by Danny Kirwan's, be it his Hank B. Marvin style or the Blues stuff ("Morning Rain" is one of my favorite guitar recordings of all time).
    Yep, love Kirwan's playing, especially prominent on Bare Trees and Future Games (and... anything by Ms. McVie... ).

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I am not impressed much by the Bob Welch work here, but knocked out by Danny Kirwan's, be it his Hank B. Marvin style or the Blues stuff ("Morning Rain" is one of my favorite guitar recordings of all time). I was a bit shocked a while ago when I came across a 1990's documentary about the original Fleetwood Mac consisting of mostly performances. It ends up that Peter gave Danny a lot of space and parts. Half of what I had thought the playing of Green was Kirwan's - even on "Oh Well." Peter Green's FM had two phenomenal guitarists! I don't know how I do not remember this from their live gig oh so long ago.

Mind you, some listeners love the Welch stuff and yawn at Kirwan (and earlier, Green!). This album is also hard to like if you don't fancy the work of Christine McVie. Luckily for me, I do.

Do you like Kiln House any better?
    I really like the Peter Green era, but there have been so many configs...that I've never kept track of who did what...parts of TUSK were OK, Oh Well was fantastic....Mystery got many plays . even The Dance and Rumors kept my interest
    Future Games just didnt have any cohesion , nothing memorable ....Dont know abt Kiln House , checked it out a CD and it was physically unplayable , so tho I may have heard it , cant place any of it ....will put it on the radar

Oh yeah, did like parts of Bare Trees ...but The Goat Lady..not so much..

Just got back from a long ride...all I picked up was Rare Earth - back to Earth , which I'd never seen before....have always been a big fan of RE .....was shocked recently when listening to
    The Temptations.....darned near all of RE's hits are covers of The Temps..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

...catching up on some listening last night:
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - Soul To Soul

(1985, Epic)

Johnny Winter - Still Alive And Well
    (1973, Columbia) STERLING LH in the deadwax; mastered by Lee Hulko at Sterling Sound

Cold Blood - self titled
    (1969, San Fransisco)

debut record from the soul-rock-jazz band fronted by Lydia Pense. a band similar to Tower of Power (members of the two bands played together) they featured a horn section in addition to guitar, bass and drums.

Heart - Bebe Le Strange
    (1980, Epic) KENDUN-A JG, Strange Euphoria in the deadwax, side 1/2; mastered by John Golden at Kendun Recorders

The title track and Even It Up, which leads off side 2, have the Heart magic with some "hell hath no fury" from the Wilson sisters.

Cal Tjader - Cal Tjader's Concert By The Sea
    (1959, Fantasy) MONO; Fantasy 3295

with Willie Bobo, drums; Al McKibbon, bass; Lonnie Hewitt, piano; Paul Horn, alto and flute. recorded at the Monterey Jazz Festival. an excellent condition $1 find at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago.

Lou Donaldson - Sweet Lou
    (1974, Blue Note)

Fotheringay - self titled
    (1970, Island) later issue with Island palm label

Albert Collins, Robert Cray, Johnny Copeland - Showdown
    (1985, Alligator)

Tasty blues guitars squaring off, with Cray and Copeland joining elder Albert Collins. There is room for solos from everybody in nearly every song. Recorded in Chicago.

Thread Information